TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 8/4-8/10

Guest Smues

Marvin is crazy, the O's are done. But hey at least he's being optimistic about his team. I prefer fans that find the silver lining instead of doom and gloom. The Braves season is over too, but until they're mathematically eliminated I can hold on to my slight hope as well.

Guest Cal Moriarty
Haha, Todd Wellemeyer just silenced the best offense in the National League. Out of contention my ass.

Three runs over six and two thirds doesn't strike me as domination, but whatever works.

Also helps that they kicked the shit out of Zambrano, who either decided not to come to work or is hiding an injury after two 120-pitch outings prior (jinx) to Sunday's start against Pittsburgh. Interestingly, Digger Phelps was the guest conductor today, and during his visit to the radio booth, decided to do a little color commentary, which nobody really asked for, but okay. He correctly noted that the Cardinals were able to set the tone by getting a double on the first pitch of the game, and from there, they kept going after the first pitch, frustrating Zambrano by getting on base fast, and ultimately knocking him out of the game. The Pujols at-bat was practically over before it started. He provided better baseball analysis in one inning than Ron Santo has provided all year. It was kind of odd, and it didn't sound like Pat and Ron were really pleased with ol' Digger sitting in and monopolizing all the airtime to competently break down the ballgame and praise Jamie Moyer.

Marvin is crazy, the O's are done. But hey at least he's being optimistic about his team. I prefer fans that find the silver lining instead of doom and gloom. The Braves season is over too, but until they're mathematically eliminated I can hold on to my slight hope as well.

They are still only 10 gb of Boston for the Wild Card and 3 games under .500. I have hope that if they can win tomorrow, the upcoming 4 game series with Cleveland will see them get over the .500 hump again. Im really rooting for the above .500 finish more than anything, as 10 years of sub .500 finishes has sucked long enough.

They are the hottest hitting team in baseball over the last month and a half or so. MASN had a graphic up during the game tonight but they are in the top 4 in AVG, Runs and HRs since July. When they are getting decent pitching from their starters, they are winning, which up until about 10 days ago was not very often. Guthrie has been amazing over his last 8 or so starts, D-Cab has been shaky but went 6 innings tonight with no runs allowed. Chris Waters is on the mound tomorrow, hopefully his 2nd start is as good as his first.

Oh, and

New MLB blackout rules coming

I would love to live in a world where being "only" 10 games out of playoff contention with 45 to go was a good thing.

I would love to live in a world where being "only" 10 games out of playoff contention with 45 to go was a good thing.

I never said it was a good thing, but I dont see them as being out of it. They have 47 games left with, the TB rainout doubleheader and the conclusion of the suspended White Sox game. I still contend that the 36 games they have left vs the AL East, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and Texas are coming at a good time considering the team has been really hot with the bat and getting at least somewhat consistently decent pitching. They also finish out the year at home 27 of their final 39 games after this upcoming 7 game road swing through Cleveland and Detroit which will help a lot since they are playing much better at home this year.

I never said it was a good thing, but I dont see them as being out of it. They have 47 games left with, the TB rainout doubleheader and the conclusion of the suspended White Sox game. I still contend that the 25 games they have left vs the AL East, 3 teams of which are the contenders for the Wild Card will help them or hurt them depending on how they play those games, and they have played well so far vs NY (7-5) and Boston (5-7) this year so its not crazy to think that they can make up some quick ground directly through beating them.

67-50 Boston

64-51 Chi. White Sox

63-54 N.Y. Yankees

60-58 Texas

59-58 Toronto

57-59 Detroit

56-59 Baltimore

Even if we take the FIVE teams between you and the Wild Card slot and say that they will all suck, which is impossible since the entire AL East is in this scenario, there's not a chance in hell Baltimore makes a run at the postseason. With 45 games left, if Boston goes a pathetic 22-23 they finish with 89 wins. For Baltimore to get to 90, they'd need to go 34-13 aka play .723 ball for more than a quarter of the season. This is the same Baltimore team that isn't .500 right now. Even If Boston tanks down the stretch then they will be losing to the Yankees and Toronto which means you still can't gain ground on teams that are ahead of you. I don't know why I bothered typing this out since anyone with an objective bone in their body knows that a team 10 games out and in SEVENTH place in the WC standings is not going to make it to the playoffs.

Guest Smues
I still contend that the 25 games they have left vs the AL East, 3 teams of which are the contenders for the Wild Card will help them or hurt them depending on how they play those games,

Marvin, you make it so hard to defend you. How they play those games will HELP THEM OR HURT THEM. Well no Hershey Highway Sherlock. Sure they could go on a tear against their rivals and make up some ground, but dear god man how they play will HELP THEM OR HURT THEM? Think before you type, please. I'm not bashing your optimism, I encourage it somewhat. But stating the obvious does not help your case.

Winning games = good.

Losing games = not good.

Revolutionary.

Guest Cal Moriarty
the 25 games they have left vs the AL East will help them or hurt them depending on how they play those games

WHAT. Are you shitting me? Tell me right now why I shouldn't kick you out of the Sports folder again. I can't take more of this Tim McCarver forehead-slapping tautology bullshit.

Per Baseball Prospectus' Postseason Odds report, going into today the Orioles had a 0.08587% chance of making the postseason with only the Indians and Mariners (who are at 0%) having lower odds in the A.L.

Didn't we have a Tim McCarver thread a while back?

I love that guy, he brings NOTHING to anything. At least Joe Morgan will occasionally drop some knowledge about hitting or something.

Guest Vitamin X
The Orioles need to score more runs than the other team to be successful

I would argue that yes, this is true, but they also need to hit the ball better and pitch well in order to win baseball games.

I never said it was a good thing, but I dont see them as being out of it. They have 47 games left with, the TB rainout doubleheader and the conclusion of the suspended White Sox game. I still contend that the 25 games they have left vs the AL East, 3 teams of which are the contenders for the Wild Card will help them or hurt them depending on how they play those games, and they have played well so far vs NY (7-5) and Boston (5-7) this year so its not crazy to think that they can make up some quick ground directly through beating them.

67-50 Boston

64-51 Chi. White Sox

63-54 N.Y. Yankees

60-58 Texas

59-58 Toronto

57-59 Detroit

56-59 Baltimore

Even if we take the FIVE teams between you and the Wild Card slot and say that they will all suck, which is impossible since the entire AL East is in this scenario, there's not a chance in hell Baltimore makes a run at the postseason. With 45 games left, if Boston goes a pathetic 22-23 they finish with 89 wins. For Baltimore to get to 90, they'd need to go 34-13 aka play .723 ball for more than a quarter of the season. This is the same Baltimore team that isn't .500 right now. Even If Boston tanks down the stretch then they will be losing to the Yankees and Toronto which means you still can't gain ground on teams that are ahead of you. I don't know why I bothered typing this out since anyone with an objective bone in their body knows that a team 10 games out and in SEVENTH place in the WC standings is not going to make it to the playoffs.

Im not worried about Boston..they will end up winning the AL East. I just cant see the Rays holding onto the Division (and the WC) for very long given their Home/Road record discrepency. TB is a very good team at home (45-17) but on aren't even nearly as good the road (24-29). They have more games left on the road (28 including tonights extra innings affair in Seatle) than at home (19) from here on out. Boston going out and beating NY/TB/TOR would help the Os as long as they can play well vs Boston themselves, which they have done so far (5-7).

Im not worried about Boston..they will end up winning the AL East. I just cant see the Rays holding onto the Division (and the WC) for very long given their Home/Road record discrepency. TB is a very good team at home (45-17) but on aren't even nearly as good the road (24-29). They have more games left on the road (28 including tonights extra innings affair in Seatle) than at home (19) from here on out. Boston going out and beating NY/TB/TOR would help the Os as long as they can play well vs Boston themselves, which they have done so far (5-7).

That makes even LESS sense since Tampa Bay is 3 games ahead of Boston, or 13 games ahead of you. At 69-46 if the Rays go 23-24 they finish with 92 wins. Baltimore is not going 37-10 down the stretch. I don't think you understand how math works if you think Boston beating NY, TB or Toronto helps you when them potentially catching the division leader opens up an even bigger deficit for your team.

Also, no one in the AL has a good road record (aside from the Angels). By the looks of it, the Rays have maybe the 4th or 5th best road winning percentage in the league.

the 25 games they have left vs the AL East will help them or hurt them depending on how they play those games

WHAT. Are you shitting me? Tell me right now why I shouldn't kick you out of the Sports folder again. I can't take more of this Tim McCarver forehead-slapping tautology bullshit.

I dont see why what Im saying is so stupid. All the time you hear "Team X controls their own destiny", and thats exactly what Im saying here. 36 of 47 games vs teams directly ahead of them in the Wild Card, 27 of 39 games at home to finish out the year where they're playing better baseball (just like the rest of the league). The article from the NY Post I mentioned last week mentioned these same things and said they "could" possibly be this years Colorado Rockies. Things are falling into their favor for a good finish this year as long as they dont fade away in August like they have done the past..oh..5 years (so far this month they are 5-3).

But again, I shall state, that I will be ecstatic if the Os finish above .500. Id be halfway to the moon if they end up winning the WC. Remember, according to just about every single reputable sports authority in the country, the Os were supposed to finish with close to 100 loses this year and be dead last place (hmm..well they are in last but probably not for long) A .500 or better finish would be the greatest thing to happen for the franchise since 1989 (even surpassing the years they did make the playoffs in 96/7)

Guest Smues

5-7 is playing well? 5-7 is mediocre, just not bad or awful.

And dear god Marvin. I tend to think that Czech over reacts about you, but come the fuck on. Boston will win the East, but the Rays won't hold onto the division, because of their road record, 24-29. Let's play the new game sweeping the nation: Guess the Red Sox road record?

Give up yet?

Come on guess?

27-34. WOW LIKE A PERCENTAGE POINT BETTER WOW DIVISION CHAMPS!

So the Devil Rays are 5 games under .500 at home, and the Red Sox are seven, but that means the Red Sox are better. Huh?

I was going to defend you if Czech brought out the Gulag hammer, but I'm losing the will power.

And yes the O's beating everyone in the division, including Boston, helps the O's. INSERT TIM MCCARVER PICTURE HERE.

The Orioles need to score more runs than the other team to be successful

I would argue that yes, this is true, but they also need to hit the ball better and pitch well in order to win baseball games.

Hmmmm, you raise some very interesting points.

Guest Smues

I dont see why what Im saying is so stupid. All the time you hear "Team X controls their own destiny", and thats exactly what Im saying here. 36 of 47 games vs teams directly ahead of them in the Wild Card, 27 of 39 games at home to finish out the year where they're playing better baseball (just like the rest of the league). The article from the NY Post I mentioned last week mentioned these same things and said they "could" possibly be this years Colorado Rockies. Things are falling into their favor for a good finish this year as long as they dont fade away in August like they have done the past..oh..5 years (so far this month they are 5-3).

But again, I shall state, that I will be ecstatic if the Os finish above .500. Id be halfway to the moon if they end up winning the WC. Remember, according to just about every single reputable sports authority in the country, the Os were supposed to finish with close to 100 loses this year and be dead last place (hmm..well they are in last..)

A .500 or better finish would be the greatest thing for the franchise in a long time.

MY BRAIN HURTS. Marvin, Team X controls their own destiny DOES NOT APPLY HERE. To paraphrase the Princess Bride I don't think that phrase means what you think it means. (And it's quite possible paraphrase doesn't mean what I think it means, because I'm not sure if its still paraphrasing when I change the word word to phrase.) A team controls its own destiny when it can win out and win their division/championship/whatever. The Orioles DO NOT CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY. They could win 100% of their remaining games and still miss the playoffs. NO CONTROL NO CONTROL.

... I had stopped reading your post after the destiny thing, so I missed the gem about 'this years Rockies.' As has been pointed out the Rockies deal was a one time thing, not a yearly event. A team going from the gutter for many seasons and then being a championship contender in one year (like this year's Rays) could be called this year's...something...because that situation tends to happen a lot. A team winning a METRIC FUCK TON of games while having several teams ahead of them losing a METRIC FUCK TON of games is not going to happen often, if ever again.

See then you end your post with some sanity. Yes they are beating expectations this year, and aiming for a .500 or better finish is a REASONABLE and good goal. Stick with that.

Edit: I got carried away there. I just saw 'this year's Colorado Rockies' and reacted. I didn't see that all you said was that an article mentioned it. I guess that's ok. My appologies.

Marvin, that No Offence guy from the WWE folder and Tiaga should be put in the gulag for about a week as an experiment. Who knows between the three of them they may cure cancer.

Oh, and Carlos Lee is done for the year. I'd guess that even Ed Wade doesn't believe the Astros are winning the wild card now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=hou

Didn't we have a Tim McCarver thread a while back?

I love that guy, he brings NOTHING to anything. At least Joe Morgan will occasionally drop some knowledge about hitting or something.

In my view, as good as the Yankees were in the first half of this game, that's how as bad they've been now

Damn you, Brandon Arroyo!

Carlos Lee's been having a great season so far and going absolutely ridiculous for the last month, which was needed with Berkman going like a month and a half since his last homerun. It sucks, too, because if Lee kept it up a little bit, he would've been up there in the MVP voting, presuming the Astros finish respectably. And this is his first trip to the DL in his career, too. Oh well, I guess his injury will give the FO a reason as to why the Astros miss the postseason, as opposed to Ed "Shitty Trade" Wade.