TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Impact (8/7/2008)

I honestly have nothing to say about this company, but I know some of you do, and there hasn't been show threads here lately.

Haha. I was hoping for a preview. I guess I'll look one up...

Tonight, TNA Wrestling returns to Spike at 9pm ET for two hours of Total Nonstop Action featuring the final countdown to the August 10 "Hard Justice" Pay-Per-View event!

The following is a preview of what you will see on the broadcast:

- More news on the upcoming Pay-Per-View event!

- It will also be one of the most hardcore and barbaric nights in "iMPACT!" history on Thursday night, as there will be an 8-Man Tables Match with Christian Cage, Rhino and The Latin American Xchange vs. Beer Money and Team 3D...plus a 10-Man Weapons Gauntlet Match featuring Samoa Joe, Booker T, AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Matt Morgan and more of your favorite TNA superstars!

- Plus, Samoa Joe is still hellbent on finding out why "The Icon" Sting is trying to sabotage his TNA World Title reign! Will Sting explain his actions this Thursday night, just days before the Pay-Per-View? Tune in and find out!

- Also this Thursday night, the TNA Knockouts will be in action as it will be Awesome Kong facing the LAX's Salinas, plus Jacqueline takes on Roxxi!

- "The Guru" Sonjay Dutt will battle Curry Man

- In tag team action, it will be The Motor City Machineguns facing the tandem of "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal and Consequences Creed!

All this and much more on Thursday night on "iMPACT!" on Spike - the final countdown to Hard Justice!

So is the term "Bimbo brawl" part of a storyline or does TNA just like pissing a portion of their audience off.

BTW my recent TNA viewing habits were spawned by Bryan and Vinnie tearing Impact apart weekly over at the WON site.

What the hell.

Why is Angle/Styles taking place right now, in a gimmick match no less?

*head explodes*

EDIT:

I'm watching with my nephew right now, and he goes "Just what kind of match is this? So Angle/Styles wrestle for a little while, two other guys come out and fight for a few seconds then leave, and then Angle/Styles wrestle again?" :lol:

Angle is nuts for taking that crazy ladder spot, he was gushing blood there. I too wondered why in the hell they would have these guys wrestling in a gimmick style match a few days before doing a PPV with a gimmick match. Booker/Joe also wrestled a bit. And Tomko is leaving the company? You wouldn't know it, the guy lasted till the end when Joe beat him. Why not put him in one last PPV to do a mega job to Matt Morgan?

Yeah...they should have definitely found a way for Morgan to beat Tomko in about 10 seconds if that was the last we'll see of Tomko.

He probably just didn't agree to it, seemed like he wanted out and out quick. But keep in mind they did have Morgan basically squash him after he beat a jobber last week.

Glad to see the Machine Guns didnt even hint at turning on each other as suggested in the spoilers. Someone must have mistaken Creed for Chris Sabin, as if thats possible?!

That Machine Guns-Creed/Lethal match was good stuff for TV, though. Lethal looked better than I've seen him in a while in there with Shelley and Sabin. Teaming him and Creed up more often might work.

The only thing SO FAR (and I'm only into "Karen's Angle" segment) that has really came across as shit was the Val/Dutt deal after his match. Just plain bad and retarded. The spoilers were way off on details with all of this, by the end of it Dutt ended up still getting "over" on Val, whereas the spoilers said she just slapped him and left.

Frank Trigg legit KOd that guy who showed up in the segment, by the way. Busted his nose up bad apparently.

The eight man no DQ deal was not bad, the glass table angle happened again with Homicide taking the bump, whatever they use for the fake glass, it sure breaks good to at least look brutal. So I'm guessing with Cide hurt a bit from that angle, Beer Money gets the belts on Sunday.

Damn, Salinas looked el fuego tonight, swear those tight little shorts on her were see thru.......typical Kong squash match there with her. Velvet Sky's "OMG WTF" shirt made me laugh a bit. Angelina Love annoys the hell out of me on the mic, but I suppose thats the point? Decent angle after the match. Whats the deal with the korean girl in the crowd they've shown the last few weeks? New feud for Gail Kim?

They need to start going somewhere with Abyss, these random run-ins are getting old.

Easily the funniest part of the show --- they hype up the gauntlet match as being a ten man gauntlet the ENTIRE SHOW, and then Borash announces it as a eight man match instead, because, I suppose, of the Nash deal. Why couldn't they just put another guy in there in Nash's spot, even SuperEric would have been fine.

The start of the match, and subsequent "dual entrance" idea was hokey too......the next ppvs theme song is playing while Angle and Styles both come out at the same time essentially on seperate stages, and then meet in the ring. They also had two entrants come out instead of one after two minute intervals. The match itself was actually pretty good, if they were just trying to sell the ppv on the idea that there would be matches like this on it (since, much like Impact has been, its a gimmick-wild ppv), I guess that makes sense to a degree. Christ, was that Angle hardway shot insane or what, that was just nuts. I havent seen a guy even blade like that in either TNA or WWE in a long time. Angle looked like a psychopath after the match as he was walking up the ramp. Decent ending angle, but it happened too quickly and then shifted to the horrible Hard Justice theme song rap video to end the show, ugh.

Damn, Salinas looked el fuego tonight, swear those tight little shorts on her were see thru.......typical Kong squash match there with her. Velvet Sky's "OMG WTF" shirt made me laugh a bit. Angelina Love annoys the hell out of me on the mic, but I suppose thats the point? Decent angle after the match. Whats the deal with the korean girl in the crowd they've shown the last few weeks? New feud for Gail Kim?

I didn't see the whole show last week, and came home before the last 30 minutes. I asked my fiancee the same question and apparently that is Gail Kim's sister. They should have mentioned it again last night.

Also, in the BP/Kong promo I liked how Love called out Gail Kim and said Kong likes to eat Chinese, get your Asians correct!

I like that the spoilers were wrong in saying that the Guns teased a breakup. I wouldn't mind them trying a heel turn with them. They can do the whole, we're not getting anywhere being faces, and they heel it up. It can work.

Is Abyss doing random run ins though? This is the 2nd time he's run in on Kong, so I truly fear that they are going to serious feud those two. How could that possibly work? If Abyss beats Kong, so what? If he jobs out to Kong it does jack shit to help her since it's a dead end angle putting her against men and it buried Abyss. How are we supposed to buy Kong remotely facing off with Abyss when she can't even beat a 5 ft. blonde of late?

As much as I wouldn't want to see Kong and Abyss, I think it could work. Taylor is lucky to win, that's the road they can take with that. If done correctly, it can work.

I still dont see an Abyss-Kong feud......all Abyss keeps doing is running in when babyfaces are in peril. The way things are going, I am thinking he actually will be turned to his Prince Justice character, since that seems to be what the idea is when he comes out to save people. Time will tell though, I guess.

This Impact episode was pretty boring last night, but that ladder spot with Angle was sick. I too keep wondering why TNA showed that same girl in the crowd whenever Gail Kim comes out to the ring. If thats her sister, why don't they mention it? That isn't the first time TNA had people on shows without telling us who they were. Remember that guy that Karen was with last year during that whole fake divorce angle? That guy was on TV all the time and even on PPV, yet TNA never gave us his name. I think there was also some Japanese guy on that PPV with Steiner during his promo, and they never told us who he was either! So TNA had 2 guys on the same PPV that we had no clue who they were. After seeing the past few weeks of Impact, does Abyss have the "run-in man" gimmick or something? Other than that, he has had no reason to be on these shows.

After seeing the past few weeks of Impact, does Abyss have the "run-in man" gimmick or something? Other than that, he has had no reason to be on these shows.

Like I said, it just has to lead to him turning into Prince Justice, since wouldn't that be his gimmick anyway, a guy that saves people when they're down and out? The name sure suggests it. And it would fit into him joining a clan of Super Eric, Curry Man, etc. Probably will still have his mask intact and relatively the same gimmick, but just called Prince Justice. It has to be what the plan is since they, out of nowhere, called Super Eric's group "The Prince Justice Brotherhood" or whatever they're saying.

Yeah......I'm not feeling it either.

I'm expecting that too but it could just be a silly in joke for the company to name them Prince Justice with no real intention of including Abyss. Just something they laugh about and think its cute. But I am preparing myself for that. I'm also kind of preparing myself for a Kong/Abyss BFG match that I don't really want.

I happen to have that show, Hard Justice 2007, available.

The guy with Karen was supposed to be her new boyfriend to get under Angle's skin during the Angle/Joe match. They introduced him during the show and Karen didn't give us a name but just made a big show about hoe he was her new man. Of course it was a ruse and he and Karen helped Angle win and then on the next Impact I believe he came out with Karen and Kurt to celebrate and was introduced. He was Trademarc, the rapper who did Angle's entrance music and who happens to be John Cena's cousin and the guy who carried the bulk of the rapping on his records.

The Japanese guy was Suwama. Scott told the Dudleyz that they were just a warm up because after the show he was heading to Japan to have a match with his tag partner in Japan. The guy barked and they all did some posing. He never gave a name but he did give something of an intro and really, the guy wasn't relevant. He was just there with the Steiners and never showed up again. So I don't think its really a big deal if they don't tell us who he is. He's just there and TNA put him on camera.

The woman could be a future story player. Not revealing her identity may have a purpose. Maybe they're screwing up not telling us and establishing her. Maybe she's just Kim's sister who happened to be in Orlando that week for the 2 tapings and they made a point to show her reactions. In which case it might be nice for Tenay and West to tell us but its also pretty meaningless so who cares?

Yeah, I know TNA not mentioning these people doesn't mean anything really, but they just look so 2nd rate by doing that. When people are on TV, we want to know who the fuck they are. Its almost like I thought TNA was playing a joke on me or something, to see if I knew every single thing on the internet. Russo likes doing that though. All of his WCW booked shows followed that idea. I found out the next day after that PPV, that the guy with Karen was Trademarc, but I thought it was really bad that TNA would have anyone on their shows that was associated with John Cena.

Yeah, he did Angle's theme. And I don't know. I don't see the problem with his appearance at all. Like I said, he played a very clear role at Hard Justice. You were told who he was. Karen's boyfriend. Would calling him "Marc" have made that different? He was a prop in a stupid story which bothered me a lot more. Then he was introduced on the very next show as the heels celebrated their master plan. Suwama might have been different but again, I doubt Russo had ANY intention of screwing with people. I expect that the most logical answer is the right one. He was traveling with the Steiners and he and Scott were waiting until after the show to go. Scott decided to include mention of their match the next day in his pre-match promo and they put him on screen. Reading it as Russo and TNA trying to screw with you or expecting you to know too much just seems like a real over reaction. They just shoved a guy on camera because they could and it might give someone a kick. TNA likes star fucking, at any level, and the love giving that sense that TNA exists as part of something greater just like WWE does. Hence Ice T, Grandmaster Caz, and Filthee performing tomorrow and an American Idol guy appearing 2 months ago.

EDIT: A habit which in and of itself strikes me as a bit pathetic but seems like one McMahon, Bischoff, Heyman, and every other wrestling promoter shared. But I'm much more bothered when it results in things like "BaseBrawl" than when it means I have to go on line to see who that Japanese guy who was backstage with Steiner was.

Well, I didn't care or anything about who the people were who didn't have their names mentioned on TV, but it just seemed a bit bizarre. I'm more bothered by TNA completely burning out the audience with silly gimmick matches, Jim Cornette's authority figure character on TV, and storylines that are pointless or make no sense. I do actually like watching Russo's weird TV shows he writes, but TNA the past couple of months have been boring. Russo lately hasn't really booked something bizarre and funny. Maybe the Prince Justice Brotherhood I guess.

I watched a full episode of Impact for the first time in... hmm... I don't want to say "ever", but that first episode on Spike was one of the first and only times I watched a full episode. The key is I finally got a DVR so that has become a great help (I watched ECW's Friday night broadcast in Canada for the first time ever and a full SD episode for the first time in ages too). TNA certainly doesn't make things easy on casual viewers - if I didn't know better (and I actually don't...), I would have assumed Booker was the champion. The announcers never mentioned it wasn't his belt. I enjoyed the MCM vs. Creed/Lethal match, but at the same time did not - I guess it's TNA's style and I'm sure I'm going to sound too "WWE", but doing killer moves that AREN'T the finish, then finishing with something simple like a roll-up (I don't recall the exact finish) doesn't help any of the moves get over. The sunset flip backbreaker / senton tandem move should have the finish, but it wasn't, it was just another move and it was quickly forgotten and probably not even replayed. MAKE THINGS MEAN SOMETHING. I really did enjoy the match though.

The F4W Bryan and Vinny recap of the show was pretty funny and quite negative, and while I didn't think it was THAT bad, I really have nothing in context to compare it to. The main event was really stupid though and once again was an excellent showcase of how TNA refuses to have things mean something. The PPV is all hardcore / weapons based, so they do stupid gimmick matches on TV that don't set it apart from a show we're supposed to pay to see. I still can't believe they did not one but two glass table spots on free TV - it seems pretty damned simple to build and tease that for a big PPV spot people would pay to see, but then it might mean something and that can't happen.

Karen's segment annoyed me about 4 seconds and quickly became a fast forward moment.

That said, I do look forward to catching the good match TNA accidentally books for Impact from time to time now.