TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

How strong are you?

Guest Vitamin X
i also posess a belly buck that would send fat beer-drinking bikers into next week.

really, does this surprise anyone?

Also, 135 is okay, but I'm right along there with Mik. And you can't exactly take the median amount of all the averages for age groups and say "well, this is what people normally lift." And where the hell are those statistics from, anyways? Of course a person who works out, even on any sort of regular basis, is going to be "above the average" since most people DON'T work out.

What a retarded argument.

i also posess a belly buck that would send fat beer-drinking bikers into next week.

Also, 135 is okay, but I'm right along there with Mik. And you can't exactly take the median amount of all the averages for age groups and say "well, this is what people normally lift." And where the hell are those statistics from, anyways? Of course a person who works out, even on any sort of regular basis, is going to be "above the average" since most people DON'T work out.

The facts are from my UC athletic trainers manual, which is verified by the NCAA. They are used when we train high school students during summer camps, showing them proper lifting technique and proper amount for individual body type. But, they are pretty standard, you can find them online.

You must've been a huge linemen if you were benching 250 at 16-17 years old. Out of all the kids I've worked with this summer only a couple even came close to that amount. Hell, I work out in my schools athletic village everyday, and a good number of 21-year-old division 1 level athletes can't bench what you called a weak bench in high school.

I'm a bit shocked at that. I'm not even that strong at beach muscle exercises... I bench like 215-225 max right now and I can still do 135 for 12. What sports at these D1 level athletes playing... tennis?

I'm a bit shocked at that. I'm not even that strong at beach muscle exercises... I bench like 215-225 max right now and I can still do 135 for 12. What sports at these D1 level athletes playing... tennis?

Yeah, tennis and golf.

I'm mainly talking about a mixture of baseball and basketball players, obviously almost all football players (outside of a few corners, wide receivers and kickers) bench well over that. Some of the other sports that don't take as much body strength I'm not really counting. I don't have figures or anything, I'm just talking about what I've seen, and what I saw when I was on the baseball team.

I've been working out on a consistant basis for about 8 years. I've never maxed myself out because I don't believe in it, and I've been told not to. Highest amount I bench is 195, I'm able to do that 9 times. I'm still trying to get it up to 10. My goal is to eventually be able to do 200 10 times, I won't ever try and go more then that. It's taken me years of consistant work just to get to that point.

I don't put stock in bench numbers, but that's also because I don't bench with a bar (I use dumbbells - they're better for my creaky left shoulder and I also find them more comfortable) but I also haven't maxed out since I played football in HS, which even as a novice I thought it was pointless. I'm about 6'2" and about 175 pounds, and according to this quick little BMI calculator (which is far from accurate I'm sure, since all it takes into account is height and weight) I'm at 22.5. What I would really like to find out is my body fat %, which I'm sure is very, very low.

Just because some meathead can bench press 280+ pounds twice, high five his buds, and then walk around the gym for 5 minutes looking at himself in the mirror doesn't impress me. I see benching as just another exercise for your regimine - you shouldn't stress any one over any other, because in the end it doesn't matter all that much. It's just something jocks do to impress each other. What I strive for is overall strength, stability, and endurance.

I have the same problem with benching...except it's my right rotator cuff. This past week was the first time I did it without injuring myself in about two years. I usually do incline bench with lighter weights or just d-bell bench. Chest is BY FAR my least favorite workout.

As a phys. ed. teacher and a summer camp counselor, I can say my number is probably pretty decent. It takes more than just a few 8 year olds to take me down.

I have the same problem with benching...except it's my right rotator cuff. This past week was the first time I did it without injuring myself in about two years. I usually do incline bench with lighter weights or just d-bell bench. Chest is BY FAR my least favorite workout.

I'm not sure what the deal is with my shoulder. I'd say it's wear-and-tear, but I'm a complete righty and have been out of competitive athletics for 6 years. I often blame the messenger bag that I carried my stuff around campus in, though.

My favorite workout day is either back or core.

They're pretty angry. I mean, they have a reason to want to beat you up. Your objective is to knock them the fuck out.

Guest Vitamin X

The facts are from my UC athletic trainers manual, which is verified by the NCAA. They are used when we train high school students during summer camps, showing them proper lifting technique and proper amount for individual body type. But, they are pretty standard, you can find them online.

You must've been a huge linemen if you were benching 250 at 16-17 years old. Out of all the kids I've worked with this summer only a couple even came close to that amount. Hell, I work out in my schools athletic village everyday, and a good number of 21-year-old division 1 level athletes can't bench what you called a weak bench in high school.

Not at all. I played fullback/halfback, and I wasn't even a full-time starter. I said I maxed out (as in, one rep) at close to that, and I know several guys on the team, especially the guy playing ahead of me who became a 4th-round pick by the Washington Redskins (obviously an exceptional case) that did way more than that.

I'm mainly talking about a mixture of baseball and basketball players, obviously almost all football players (outside of a few corners, wide receivers and kickers) bench well over that. Some of the other sports that don't take as much body strength I'm not really counting. I don't have figures or anything, I'm just talking about what I've seen, and what I saw when I was on the baseball team.

Right, and I play rugby and bike a lot these days, so I still need to be in decent shape athletically, I guess if that's classified as freakishly strong even for a Div I athlete (which I think is kind of laughable, honestly) but up to par with the football players, that would make sense.

I've been working out on a consistant basis for about 8 years. I've never maxed myself out because I don't believe in it, and I've been told not to. Highest amount I bench is 195, I'm able to do that 9 times. I'm still trying to get it up to 10. My goal is to eventually be able to do 200 10 times, I won't ever try and go more then that. It's taken me years of consistant work just to get to that point.

Oh man, no WONDER you think that's a lot. Okay, when you do strength and conditioning training in a sport that requires anaerobic energy as opposed to aerobic energy, you do sets like the pyramid set (doing 8, 5, and then 3 reps for example), you don't do like 3x10, or 2x8 or whatever. The only reason they had us max out in football was so that we could set a target goal and measure our progress. I don't do that these days, but that's mainly because I work out on my own in the weight room and don't use a spotter.

They're pretty angry. I mean, they have a reason to want to beat you up. Your objective is to knock them the fuck out.

I could probably destroy them if it came down to some kind of serious situation. I'm just used to them horsing around trying to bring me down. And failing at it.

I have massive rock-solid legs and noodle arms. It's a function of running every day, but never wanting to spend more time in a weight room than I was obligated to in 10th grade gym class.

Ever get shin splints? I've really picked up my running again and I've developed them. I'm trying to just take a day off from running here and there and run through it even though all advice has been to stop running altogether for about 4 weeks and heal up. It sucks, running is now just horribly painful, and afterward my shins throb.

I've got new shoes, but it doesn't seem to help.

I could fight off an infinite amount of children. I can handle the maximum number able to attack me at once, and sustain this for an infinite amount of time.

I also posses Berzerker Rage.

Guest Vitamin X
I have massive rock-solid legs and noodle arms. It's a function of running every day, but never wanting to spend more time in a weight room than I was obligated to in 10th grade gym class.

Ever get shin splints? I've really picked up my running again and I've developed them. I'm trying to just take a day off from running here and there and run through it even though all advice has been to stop running altogether for about 4 weeks and heal up. It sucks, running is now just horribly painful, and afterward my shins throb.

That may be, but if you have shin splints and if you push it too hard, those will turn into stress fractures and you probably won't be able to walk in that case. Trust me, take it easy.

Just because some meathead can bench press 280+ pounds twice, high five his buds, and then walk around the gym for 5 minutes looking at himself in the mirror doesn't impress me. I see benching as just another exercise for your regimine - you shouldn't stress any one over any other, because in the end it doesn't matter all that much. It's just something jocks do to impress each other. What I strive for is overall strength, stability, and endurance.

I hate it when I'm in front of the mirror lifting for proper technique (i have trouble with technique on some exercises so i watch myself in the mirror to see if i'm moving right) and some douche steps in front of me or gets partly in my way to check out his arms. Only they don't flex, they walk to the mirror and stand sideways looking at themselves.

I think this thread is supposed to be serious business, guys. I didn't think a thread asking internet nerds how strong they were could be such a thing, but a bunch of real talk eclipsed what should have been praise for a reference to "The Mighty Hercules".

Guest cobainwasmurdered
I genuinely believe I could kill a man with one punch. But it'd have to be a sucker punch.

It wouldn't be hard to do. Punch them in the throat and you'd crush the wind pipe and they'd die.

I hate it when I'm in front of the mirror lifting for proper technique (i have trouble with technique on some exercises so i watch myself in the mirror to see if i'm moving right) and some douche steps in front of me or gets partly in my way to check out his arms. Only they don't flex, they walk to the mirror and stand sideways looking at themselves.

Dama, I would suggest that if you are struggling with proper technique, you should choose lower weights. Lifting incorrectly can lead to injuries and it won't help you make any gains either. Your form is the #1 most important thing.

I genuinely believe I could kill a man with one punch. But it'd have to be a sucker punch.

It wouldn't be hard to do. Punch them in the throat and you'd crush the wind pipe and they'd die.

Well, I meant just blunt force trauma to the head, but that'd work too.

Guest Cal Moriarty

I might've had a little bit of that back in late April when I was picking up running again for the season, but no shin pain these days. Sometimes my left calf tightens up, and my right ankle is a little sore, though.

I'm a skinny dude, only weighing in at about 140 or so, but I'd say I'm in good shape. I could bench 150-160 which is at least over my body weight even if it's not that great overall. I can leg press almost 500, though. Like others here, I try to focus on overall strength and more endurance rather than one-rep maxes. I have some pretty solid definition, but not as much pure strength thanks to my small frame.

I can bench about 230 and I weigh about 165.

I'm naturally weak and unathletic but I work out a fair amount. Right now I'm trying to do more cardio and less weights though. When I was in college I was a workout fiend.