TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

Hard Justice 08 Thread

What's with TNA and using the video games characters for entrances? That's just stupid.

They're just trying to promote and push the new video game in a different way early, before the game commercials, etc, get plastered all over the place.

I don't think it's so stupid, it's hammering the point of the game coming out soon, I've seen alot worse things done before to help promote a potential big money maker for the company.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure WWE did something similar last year with their game by showing footage of matches that were going to actually happen but in game form. Its a bit silly but its a reasonable way to expose your audience to the graphics and remind them of the game, I guess. The game has the potential to be a big deal for TNA.

And I agree that TNA just seems to struggle at booking faces. For almost its entire run the company has been booked around the idea of a big and powerful heel, often with a dirty authority behind him, and with a group of wrestlers helping him keep the belt. Jarrett, Russo and SEX, Jarrett again, Christian, Angle. I think its reasonable to argue that they just haven't quite figured out how to book a true face at the top of the card largely because they never seem to want one. Killings is really the only face champion who has worked and he started as a heel and just became a face because of his popularity. And in the end Killings' face character wasn't terribly liked or interesting.

I mean, I don't think Joe's run has been nearly what its being labeled as. Certainly not worthy of being compared to Rey. But I do think its been a real disappointment. Part of that was the odd booking of Booker in Houston that seemed to back them in a corner of needing to satisfy the fans that would be cheering for the heel. I think part of it is just TNA's BFG obsession with Sting and the supposed uncertainty they have with what they're actually going to do with the guy. But Joe's run definitely hasn't been what I hoped it would be. That being said I really don't think he looks like a paper champ and all and he did stand tall over Booker both times they fought. But the contrived booking of these finishes has made it quite awkward when this run should have really been about establishing Joe. Instead they went for the Russo storytelling. Which in no way seems like a lack of faith in Joe, just a misguided booking approach.

Wow, people have actually went to the next level and said TNA's wrestling is better than the WWE?

Yes. Yes we are.

And guess what? It's true.

Only if you like psychology-less spotfesty "This is awesome" shit. Joe and Styles are the only two standout workers that they have and both of them are still flawed. John Cena had three matches last year that were better than anything TNA has ever done.

Name some matches TNA has had this year better than Undertaker-Edge, HBK/Flair, the Raw elimination chamber, the Royal Rumble, HBK/Jericho, Cena/JBL, Jericho/Jeff Hardy, Regal vs Anybody, etc.

If i had to watch one more Sonjay Dutt or Alex Shelley or Petey Williams match...

Wow, people have actually went to the next level and said TNA's wrestling is better than the WWE?

Yes. Yes we are.

No, it isnt. Not even in the same neighborhood as true.

John Cena had three matches last year that were better than anything TNA has ever done.

You must not have seen the early TNA X-division stuff with Jerry Lynn/AJ Styles/Low-Ki. That shit was unbelievable.

Yes. Yes we are.

No, it isnt. Not even in the same neighborhood as true.

Well I guess this is where we differ. Because I think you're way off the ball.

Whereas TNA hasn't had many great matches this year, they've blown pretty much most of the WWE matches (save a couple) out of the water.

Before the debate starts to rage about what make better workrate, WWE has its audience and style and TNA has its audience and style. TNA, the X-division in particular, is full of spotfest matches and no selling which can be just as boring and unsatisfying to watch as any Randy Orton resthold encrusted match. Just because a match is up-tempo doesn't mean the wrestlers in it are any good at what they are trying to accomplish.

I personally slant toward the "WWE has better wrestling" philosophy. I feel like WWE has a mix of good and great workers while TNA has a mix of great and craptastic ones. But hey, if you wanna watch a spotfest and chant "this is awesome" then TNA is the place for you.

I just want to comment that just because a match has a really swift pace, it doesn't mean it's a spotfest. On the same token, just because a match is slow doesn't mean it has lots of psychology. Sometimes it just means the match is slow.

And I believe the argument that "TNA's matches tend to be better than WWE's" is due to the fact that good matches in TNA tend to pop up in the undercard with a great deal more regularity. TNA's booking is often questionable, but they do give time to matches that have potential to be awesome and more often than not. In WWE, unless it has a main eventer in it, matches don't always get a lot of time. In short, WWE is top heavy while TNA is a bit more evenly distributed talent-wise. Because of that, TNA appears to have the better wrestling because on your average PPV card there'll be a lot of good matches with maybe one or two being very good to great. WWE on the other hand has a lot of ok/decent matches with the occasional very good match and, depending on the match and who's in it, a great to awesome main event.

Then again, I've been up all night and haven't gone to sleep yet, so I may be completely wrong.

Yeah, WWE is obviously better booked in terms of making you care about their matches, but I've always found TNA to be the most entertaining. I am someone who likes matches that have a fast pace to them rather than slow ground based matches. Smackdown the past few weeks have had very slow and boring matches that I don't find entertaining, but then again, I never liked Shelton wrestling as a heel. I will say that Festus/Kozlov was pretty good though.