TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Staying Productive

I've been working pretty steadily for the past 3 years. Last week, I left my job and am starting a new one on the 19th. Problem is, now I've got nothing to do this whole week that I'm off. Allmy other friends are still working so meeting up with them is out of the question. I never really had any way to stay productive, going online and watching movies all day can only be so entertaining. So, any ideas on what I can do to kill boredom? What do you guys do on your days off around the house?

Take up a hobby. Just something that you can dedicate an hour to. Maybe it's riding bikes, getting exercise, masturbating, cooking, learning a new instrument, staring, staring, whatever it is that you can do.

Being bored and being unproductive are two different beasts. It's easy to keep yourself entertained and not really get anything done (I'm looking at you, video games). But I agree with Milky, too. I'm not an avid reader, but I generally think people who complain about boredom probably don't read.

Guest Vitamin X

I have transferred over all my habits from being high to being drunk. Eating, cooking strange shit, and playing video games, etc.

On that note, cooking is an awesome hobby. Try something you may have never made before and try to make a good dish; the best part about it is that you can eat whatever you make, so you know, it's productive and fun.

Yes. Cooking is a wonderful skill to have, and I really enjoy spending an hour making a nice meal. Seriously.

I'm in a similar predicament. Madden's keeping me busy; don't look at me for production in any way.

Speaking of VX's habit transfers, anyone remember that Family Guy episode where he could only play the piano whilst drunk? There was a span of about two years where I was the same way with Halo.

Guest Vitamin X

And on an even more similar note, I was positively awful at Madden yesterday and then I took a break to go to the bar real quick, had myself a Long Island while chatting up two vets about the Russian-Georgian conflict, then grabbed a relatively small beer (24oz) on the way home, so I had an okay buzz (I know the bartender at this particular bar so I get a heavy pour) and then HOLY SHIT I WAS AWESOME. Like I just completely stopped worrying about the passing game and everything and was just annihilating shit left and right. So much fun.

But yeah, cooking. Get on it. Watch some food network or something, get an idea for something you may never have done before, and try making it. Trying to come up with making a good Pad Thai or an exquisite Macaroni and Cheese are two experiments I've done lately; it's actually become a borderline obsession with me, so I'm a bit of a strange person to talk to about cooking in general. I have a thing where I learn how to do a different culinary skill every week, or improve on something, like for a while now I've been working on making a really good sauce, teriyaki, marinara, alfredo, hot pepper, you name it. The teriyaki was my favorite recently because it was so simple to make and really quite good.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Cooking is swell. One of my pleasurable activities. I hate the concept of a hobby.

If I'm going to do something as a lark, I want to get paid for it. Get multiple jobs or one demanding one.