TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

NOES re-make casting updates

Bruce Campbell is great at playing Bruce Campbell-type parts. But he doesn't have much range outside of that. Like when he played a serious role as a tormented cop on Homicide, he was average at best.

Am I the only one who thinks Bruce Campbell would have been a bigger star if he was around in the '40s-'50s? I mean I don't think he ever would have been a huge mainstream star but he would have been a solid B movie actor instead of being reduced to mostly Z grade affairs (Alien Apocalypse, anyone?)

I met him once. He's funny but he's really kind of a jerk. Like his characters I guess. Can't say I blame him for being a jerk though.

I just wish some movies would be left alone. I don't think ones made in my lifetime need to be remade. I just think the Freddy character shouldn't be fucked with

Can't wait till the 2011 remake of Jeepers Creepers and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

I can't wait for the big-budget remake of The Toxic Avenger that Lloyd Kaufman's been joking about for almost a decade now. You know it WILL happen, one day, and thus throw out everything that makes Toxie (and Troma) great.

Campbell just seemed kind of grouchy and really snarky when I met him. Looking back, he was probably just having a bad day and the hundreds of nerds asking him about an Evil Dead IV for the thousandth time and trying to one up him with lame jokes. I wasn't really taken aback by it though and would see him again if he was doing a signing somewhere else. Dude tells a lot of interesting anecdotes. The only specific thing I remember though was my brother asking him something about the somewhat obscure Sam Raimi/Coen Brothers collaboartion Crimewave and Campbell favorably comparing it to Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. It was befuddling because those two movies couldn't be any more different. The latter's an indie romantic comedy and the former's a black comedy homage to Three Stooges shorts (not to mention a really terrible movie)

I actually own a copy of Crimewave, and it's not THAT bad, it's flawed but has its moments. But yeah, I don't see the comparison to Eternal Sunshine at all, no similarities whatsoever except both being printed on celluloid and being projected onto a large screen. Maybe he was joking?

Also, I guess I'm the only one, but I liked Bad News Bears

That makes two of us.

Even if I hated 99 percent of this movie, I approve if only for the following exchange:

What's carcinogen mean?

Liberal propaganda. Don't worry about it. It's just bullshit.

I really don't mind that they are remaking this movie. I can still take out the DVD and watch it whenever I want (or any movie remade for that matter). If a movie company wants to make money off of a name, then more power to them. The point of owning a company is to make money. Would I rather them either leave this alone, or just make a sequel, yeah, but that's not happening. Remakes are going to be made whether we want them to be or not. If the new generation of fans are too lazy to go out and find the originals, then at least the remakes are bringing them the movie in some form. That being said, as good an actor as Billy Bob is, he would be a horrible choice. Since Englund doesn't want to do the new movie, I say just go out and get a no name actor to do the part.

Maybe my comments about Thornton we're a little off the mark.

That said, I still think he sucks.

This Nightmare on Elm Street remake is just a bad idea. This is a case where Hollywood can't just remake a movie just for the hell of it. See, the other remakes like Halloween, TCM, and the upcoming Friday the 13th have silent killers, but Freddy is an actual character who has lines, and I just can't see anyone other than Englund playing him.

The thing I don't get is why remake classic movies, classic for being either different or just flat-out GOOD, when there are plenty of awful movies made in the past that could be improved upon?

Maybe my comments about Thornton we're a little off the mark.

That said, I still think he sucks.

Maybe my comments about Thorton we are a little off the mark?

Nah, Billy Bob's awesome

The thing I don't get is why remake classic movies, classic for being either different or just flat-out GOOD, when there are plenty of awful movies made in the past that could be improved upon?

The funny thing is it's happened before, and then everyone who asked for it pretended otherwise. On an episode of Siskel & Ebert sometime in the mid-late 90s, they reviewed a crappy French movie called Little Indian, Big City. They both hated it and buried it. On the same show, they reviewed some remake of some classic movie, can't remember exactly what. One of them complained that Hollywood shouldn't be remaking good movies, they should try to remake and improve some pieces of crap like Little Indian, Big City. Well, a year goes by, and wouldn't you know it, here's the crappy Tim Allen flick Jungle 2 Jungle, a direct remake of Little Indian, Big City! Neither Siskel nor Ebert seemed to remember that they literally demanded that this movie be made when they tore it apart in their reviews.

I have a general rule of thumb, if a film has Billy Bob Thornton in it, it's more than likely going to suck.

Ahem, "Bad Santa", "The Man Who Wasn't There", and several others would like to have a word with you.

A Simple Plan, The Ice Harvest, Sling Blade, Tombstone, and Friday Night Lights, too.

One False Move, Dead Man, The Apostle, Princess Mononoke, Primary Colors, Pushing Tin, Bandits, Monster's Ball, Intolerable Cruelty...

Don't forget Chopper Chicks in Zombietown.

There's been some producer (I forget who) who's remade horror movies from the 70s over the last few year: TCM, Halloween, The Hitcher, The Hills have Eyes etc.

The same way they Americanise Japanese horror movies, though I understand that more.

The funny thing is it's happened before, and then everyone who asked for it pretended otherwise. On an episode of Siskel & Ebert sometime in the mid-late 90s, they reviewed a crappy French movie called Little Indian, Big City. They both hated it and buried it. On the same show, they reviewed some remake of some classic movie, can't remember exactly what. One of them complained that Hollywood shouldn't be remaking good movies, they should try to remake and improve some pieces of crap like Little Indian, Big City. Well, a year goes by, and wouldn't you know it, here's the crappy Tim Allen flick Jungle 2 Jungle, a direct remake of Little Indian, Big City! Neither Siskel nor Ebert seemed to remember that they literally demanded that this movie be made when they tore it apart in their reviews.

I could have sworn that I just read this, word for word, in another thread.

Mellow, I thought the same thing. It was posted earlier, I think in CTDWAT.

I think I've told that one before. I just find it funny that for once a critic actually got exactly what they asked for, and it was such a terrible idea that they pretended they never said such a thing.

According to Ain't It Cool News, Thorton getting the role is not true.

I always though that if you were going to remake horror a movie, make sure it's one that millions don't hold dear. Take for example, "The Wizard Of Gore"-I like the original, though I wouldn't call it a classic, and the fact that it's getting remade doesn't seem like a bad idea (Suicide Girls aside), though that's mostly because of the cast (Crispin Glover as Montag the Magnificent? Jeffrey Combs as a Carnival Geek? I'm so there.)

Which now opens up the question of who is?

The film hasn't even officially been picked up, greenlit, or anything. It's, at best, in development, and I think a script isn't even finished. So it will be awhile before they reveal who will play the Fredster.

Good thing I found this thread, I was ready to make a new one.

Anyway...Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach) is the new Freddy Krueger!

freddycastingrumor.jpg