TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Foley to TNA????

I think people are over looing one main thing that Foley has over almost anyone else in the company, he's known outside the world of wrestling. He's a NY Times best selling author, he's known to people in the media from his time in WWE. He can easily go on Letterman or Leno and publicize TNA better then most of the people alreadt there. He's someone that can draw people based on that alone.

I enjoyed Cactus Jack's commentary on Smackdown. Anything is better than Jim Ross, except of course, the announce team for TNA. What does a Cactus Jack have to offer in the ring these days other than nostalgia? Stick to broadcasting, Jack.

This "Mainstream appeal" issue is overrated. You're either a wrestling fan or your not. If you aren't, then it doesn't matter if Mick Foley is the president of the USA. You're not going to watch.

I'm not saying he is going to bring in non-wrestling fans, but there are still some people that might not know about TNA, casual fans, kids and such. Seeing Foley talk about it, and say he is involved might entice those fand to check it out.

Is there any word if he is actually going to wrestle? I could see him doing a match with Sting for old time's sake, or maybe a garbage match with Abyss. Beyond that, it's hard to imagine he has enough left in the tank to hang with someone like Angle or Styles or Samoa Joe.

Well, remember the shape he got himself in for the feud with Orton in '04. By his own account, he got himself into the best shape he'd been in since before "retiring." He wasn't even in too bad of shape during the Edge/ECW angle, truth be told. With TNA's more relaxed schedule, and considering he'll likely get more promo time than most others (considering he's one of the biggest names to sign to TNA to date, and he's well-known as a great talker), I'd say he'll prolly stick mostly to wrestling on PPV, and maybe doing a brawl here and there on Impact in between.

I'm actually excited for this. I haven't been excited about watching TNA since the Joe/Styles/Daniels feud.

If anything, this has gotten people, on here at least, talking more about TNA in a somewhat positive light. I think this can be good to great for TNA. Foley can have many different roles, from putting people over on the mat, to becoming a good color guy, to even taking over as a GM. More positives here then negatives, IMO.

Foley against Angle, Joe, Jarrett, Styles, and Sting all sound like quality programs to me.

Exactly. Christian and Booker too. I'm going to miss Foley commentating, but I'd rather see him in the ring with some big names before he retires again. I don't want his last match to be a throwaway clusterfuck where he jobbed to John Cena.

Foley against Angle, Joe, Jarrett, Styles, and Sting all sound like quality programs to me.

A more judicious use of Foley would be to limit his programs to people like Joe and Styles, who need all the elevation they can get, and when it comes to working with Foley, the best use of him is to get people over. With a limited number of matches he can do a year, something Foley himself admits, it's best to use those rare matches against people who need to be built up. Angle, Jarrett and Sting are already there, and really have nothing to gain by working with Foley. Joe and Styles, however, can gain a great deal by working with Foley. Whatever rub Foley is able to give in TNA is best used by being limited to guys like Joe and Styles.

I mentioned it before, but I think that Matt Morgan could benefit greatly if they were to pit Foley against him. Especially if they were to turn Morgan heel, but I'm not sure if they want to do that while he's able to be a crossover star for them.

Honestly though, am I the only one glad Foley went to TNA? I haven't liked the guy in years.

Christ that is a terrible post.

I for one will be glad to see Foley in TNA. I've always been a mark for him and if he did work some programs with Joe and Styles that would be great. Limit him to a couple of matches per year and he should be fine.

I'd like to see him in a GM role, maybe an angle with him taking power away from Cornette, who has been stale in TNA for the past couple of years.

Yeah, out of all the things I would like Foley to do in TNA, I prefer him as a GM or commentator, since those roles are terrible right now. I for some reason think though, that no matter what TNA does, they will just never get popular, because I think what people think of when they hear about TNA is that its a place where rejects from WWE go, or for washed up guys. I hope I'm wrong, as I want TNA to become popular, but that company has too much things against them. I've wanted RVD in TNA, but since he hasn't gone there yet, I really think he will do something similar to what Jericho did.

Why make him an authority figure? There is no way he can top his Commissioner Foley days in 2000, so making him a "GM" would just be TNA trying to recreate a successful WWE storyline from 10 years ago.

Well, now that I think about it.

Whatever rub Foley is able to give in TNA is best used by being limited to guys like Joe and Styles.

They're already well established. I don't think they need the rub. Best to get the dream matches booked instead to draw the PPV buyrates.

Matches with Angle and Joe would be the biggest I think they could do.

Would anyone else like to see a program with James Storm after the Beer Money team runs its course? I think Storm could benefit hugely...and I think he's the right guy to try a big push with.

If Foley was going to try a "make someone" program...that's who I'd want to see it with

James Storm sounds perfect for Foley. So we will see Robert Roode get the push (not that I don't love Roode, but Booker loves him so he'll get pushed before the more deserving Storm.

I really don't think anyone can get over by beating Foley after 2000. I mean, why is beating a guy thats retired so special? If I had to pick my dream match for Foley in TNA, I would go with Abyss. Abyss really needs a good, violent feud with someone, because ever since Russo came in the company in 2006, he has wrecked the dude's career.

I really don't think anyone can get over by beating Foley after 2000. I mean, why is beating a guy thats retired so special? If I had to pick my dream match for Foley in TNA, I would go with Abyss. Abyss really needs a good, violent feud with someone, because ever since Russo came in the company in 2006, he has wrecked the dude's career.

People can definately still get over from getting put over Foley, because Foley KNOWS how to put people over properly. I mean, shit, look at how strong that angle was with Edge on the way out, he gave him a strong rub from that to lead into the HIAC match.

Abyss v. Foley will probably likely happen at some point.

Yeah, Edge was the only person after Foley's retirement that got over by beating him I think, because him and Foley had a very good violent match at WM, that involved an awesome burning table spot, but then again, I think Edge was already over anyway at that point.

Why make him an authority figure? There is no way he can top his Commissioner Foley days in 2000, so making him a "GM" would just be TNA trying to recreate a successful WWE storyline from 10 years ago.

Because it's playing to Mick's strengths, his promos and his charisma. I agree that it will never top his 2000 run, but who said they would replicate it?

Abyss really needs a good, violent feud with someone, because ever since Russo came in the company in 2006, he has wrecked the dude's career.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Abyss storylines Dutch's work?

Because it's playing to Mick's strengths, his promos and his charisma. I agree that it will never top his 2000 run, but who said they would replicate it?

TNA frequently rehash WWE angles. This time, they'll actually be able to rehash the angle and use the same person to do so.

Anyway, Foley news via F4W:

Mick Foley will be releasing a statement tomorrow regarding his signing with TNA and likely thanking WWE for his last few years in the company.

He will expand upon the TNA deal, but he has agreed to a short-term contract with TNA and will be starting imminently.

It's Members Only for now, so no link.

Well...Short term would mean he's gotta be working a match with someone. They DO have their biggest ppv of the year coming up in October so the timing couldn't really be better for them. Especially since the card is still pretty up in the air (although I still bank on Sting/Joe and Angle/Jarrett) Maybe what they should do is use Foley to get Abyss out of this horrible anti-violence storyline he's currently entrenched in.

That's if Foley is coming in to "work" and not just for them to have around.

Foley doing a match in TNA with four weeks build would be a waste. If Foley is to wrestle in TNA, it should have at least a two-month build, and Foley's contract is probably for longer than that, so they can hold off on putting Foley in the ring if that's the idea.

The next two ppvs after BFG are scheduled for Orlando...meaning that (much like Angle, Sting and any other name they've debuted) they can't sell one ticket for people to see him wrestle unless they do it in Chicago.

Besides...4 weeks is probably the perfect amount of time to trust them not to fuck up a build anyway.

The next two ppvs after BFG are scheduled for Orlando...meaning that (much like Angle, Sting and any other name they've debuted) they can't sell one ticket for people to see him wrestle unless they do it in Chicago.

They can still sell PPV buys.

Besides...4 weeks is probably the perfect amount of time to trust them not to fuck up a build anyway.

4 weeks? I wouldn't trust TNA with 4 minutes.

The way they book...they can't sell ppv buys. They have a show that over a million people watch and they can't get anyone to pay for their shows.

By the time 2 months of building to Foley wrestling was done they'd have killed any interest. This company has literally built 3 main event matches well in the history of the promotion (Jarrett/Raven, Joe/Angle 1, Joe/Angle at Lockdown) Those are the only main event matches that actually saw a noticeable bump in buys for them.

In 8 weeks Foley would be just another guy.

Knowing TNA, Foley will probably be the special guest referee for the BFG main event.

I like Foley as much as the next guy, but I really don't need/want to see him wrestling again. If anything, let him scooch Don West out of his chair, give him a remote mic, and let him do little bumper segments in the crowd or backstage so Tenay/Foley can give it a go commentating together.