TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

Batman: Akham Asylum

I just got my newest GameInformer in the mail and had no idea about this game which is the cover story. Paul Dini of the comics and the animated series are writing it, the graphics look nice and it sounds from the article that the people doing the gameplay known what they are doing.

May as well start a thread now. A lot of comic themed games coming up, but this one I didn't even realize was being worked on has me the most excited of all.

I want to get excited, but the track record of Batman games isn't exactly amazing. Looking forward to Lego Batman though.

I know what you mean. Lego should be solid, but this write-up gave me faith that I hope doesn't get broken. I mean, there is only, one generally well reviewed Batman game and that was for SNES? They were saying how the developers sat down and discussed important factors. I don't know too much about Eidos and Rocksteady Studios but they are emphasizing there are no deadlines until they are happy with it. I think the premise inside of just Arkham and the possibilities helps out too.

So is this based on the Comics, the Animated Series or the new Movie Franchise? That will make a big difference for some people. You're right in that it'll be interesting to see how it works being set just in Arkham - makes me think of Condemned.

This is based off the comics. The article mentions several enemies and shows pictures of Joker and Killer Croc (who looks awesome but maybe a little too large IMO). There are some clown thugs that are eerily reminiscent of something like the first Manhunt. The Game Informer people say in the gameplay they tested they also saw Mr. Zsasz and Harley Quinn. Other confirmed are Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and it says others they don't want to spoil. Commisioner Gordon will have a large role in the game and Oracle will be a remote radio contact, no word on Robin or Nightwing yet. It is said to have Bioshock feel to it.

I mean, there is only, one generally well reviewed Batman game and that was for SNES?

WRONG!!

-Adventures of Batman and Robin for Genesis is a freaking hard game but technically amazing with solid gameplay.

-The original Sunsoft Batman The Video Game is really really good (with an awesome soundtrack, too).

-Batman Returns (SNES) is a solid Final Fight-ish beat 'em up that got good reviews.

-Batman Rise of Sin Tzu for GBA is a really good platformer/beat 'em up in the vein of the SNES Batman TAS game. Heck, the game that came before it (Batman Vengeance on GBA) is a pale, below-average copy of that SNES game.

-There are many that consider the NES Return of the Joker a classic. I found it too freakin' hard to really enjoy, so your results may vary.

Although the games are more often bad or mediocre, like most licensed games.

I mean, there is only, one generally well reviewed Batman game and that was for SNES?

WRONG!!

-Adventures of Batman and Robin for Genesis is a freaking hard game but technically amazing with solid gameplay.

-The original Sunsoft Batman The Video Game is really really good (with an awesome soundtrack, too).

-Batman Returns (SNES) is a solid Final Fight-ish beat 'em up that got good reviews.

-Batman Rise of Sin Tzu for GBA is a really good platformer/beat 'em up in the vein of the SNES Batman TAS game. Heck, the game that came before it (Batman Vengeance on GBA) is a pale, below-average copy of that SNES game.

-There are many that consider the NES Return of the Joker a classic. I found it too freakin' hard to really enjoy, so your results may vary.

Although the games are more often bad or mediocre, like most licensed games.

I wasn't sure, but thanks. The only one I ever heard glowing reviews on was the Adventures of Batman & Robin. I never really pay too much attention to reviews. I used to love Batman Returns on SNES, didn't realize it was well-liked. I also have a soft spot for the PS2 version of Sin Tzu. I used to love that game and knew no one else who had played it.

I wasn't sure, but thanks. The only one I ever heard glowing reviews on was the Adventures of Batman & Robin. I never really pay too much attention to reviews. I used to love Batman Returns on SNES, didn't realize it was well-liked. I also have a soft spot for the PS2 version of Sin Tzu. I used to love that game and knew no one else who had played it.

Sin Tzu on console wasn't terrible, but it was a fairly standard 3D beat 'em up while there are much better games of that style available. Honestly I liked Final Fight Streetwise way more than console Sin Tzu, because while you could buy all those moves in Sin Tzu, they were mainly just combo variations.

Also, it disappointed me because I had hoped it would have been a polished up version of (console) Batman Vengeance. Best part of console Batman Vengeance were the cutscenes. I liked what it tried to do but the controls and play mechanics were just too broken.

AVGN's video made Return of the Joker seem damn near impossible.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that vid was available yet.

I totally believe it, too. I don't think I got past the 3rd level. =/

AVGN's video made Return of the Joker seem damn near impossible.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that vid was available yet.

I totally believe it, too. I don't think I got past the 3rd level. =/

Another awesome video. The Joker got on my nerves something fierce, but AVGN always delivers. I think his next review is supposed to be NES's "Deadly Towers".

Surprised he only covered the 3 "Joker" games (and Revenge Genesis and Return NES are basically the same), and missed out on Batman & Robin.

No, no, I don't mean the SNES game based on the animated series.

I mean Clooneybats and Robin, the bat-nipple-tastic, Bat-Credit Card holding, Ultimate-Solution-starring, Ahnuld-ice-pun-spewing, Uma-scenery-chewing, ultra-gay movie...turned into a game.

By Acclaim.

Other than vids of Clooneybats and Robin dying, this is pretty much the only gameplay vids I can find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aq5Q0tZ2Xk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Q05ShNb4c...feature=related

A somewhat less grievous sin was Batman Forever Arcade, which was at least somewhat playable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RORYd7_yCM

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171930

Kevin Conroy Reprising Batman Role for Arkham Asylum

Mark Hamill also once again voicing the Joker. By Kyle Stallock, 12/17/2008

Any die-hard Batman fan will tell you that Kevin Conroy is and will always be the the voice of the caped crusader. Alongside Mark Hamill as the Joker, Conroy portrayed the Dark Knight in the award-winning Batman: The Animated Series and later Batman Beyond with equal amounts of respect and madness. Now Eidos and Warner Bros. have announced that the two actors will be reprising their roles for the upcoming game Batman: Arkham Asylum. Connecting the title even more directly to the Animated Series, it features an entirely new story from five-time Emmy winner Paul Dini, comic author, and one of the show's main writers.

I think Mark is starting to lose his voice as the Joker. Then again, he started doing the voice in 1991 (92 is when it made it's debut on tv) and it's 2009. I dont think Conroy's voice has changed much though - but it's been awhile since I watched any episodes of B:TAS.

Fuck the age process.

I just wonder who screams "Now let's get this party started!" The voice isnt Mark's - thats for sure.

Still awesome trailer - and its great to hear them both again.