TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 89: Bisping vs Leben

Franklin dropped before Silva. He just didn't fight first. If I remember right, the Franklin fight was postponed, and Silva was shoo-horned in with only a few weeks of prep for the fight with Irvin. That or Franklin was announced before Silva. Either way.

So, in truth, while they fought at different times, Franklin "dropped" before Silva did.

Hawk pretty much said what I wanted to say without the Machida comments. I don't know enough about Machida to comment about him or have seen his fights, but I have seen enough fights to know when someone is counter-fighting and when someone is doing just enough to win by points and running away before he gets his block knocked off, and that's what Bisping was doing. B-o-r-i-n-g.

In a little bit of an ironic twist, the Ali-Liston fight is on ESPN Classic while I am posting this. Ali was sticking and moving, looking to frustrate Liston into a mistake that he could take advantage of, and that is exactly what happened. Ali knew he couldn;t match Liston's punching power, even though Ali had a pretty solid punch back in the day. Ali wasn;t looking to hit and run. I'm watching round 3 right now, and Ali came out and tagged Liston repeatedly with punches and actually hurt Liston.

My point is that Bisping wasn;t looking to wear Leben down in that fight, or to take him down and try and neutralize Leben's striking power. He was looking to win by decision and whats worse, he said it in the post-fight interview with Rogan, which was one hell of an indictment against him.

How do you figure? If anything Bisping should at least be given credit for honesty. It's not like he whined afterwards that he tried his hardest to finish Leben but just couldn't do it. The minute this fight was announced it was more or less a foregone conclusion that if it was going the distance then Bisping would be the victor.

Hawk pretty much said what I wanted to say without the Machida comments. I don't know enough about Machida to comment about him or have seen his fights, but I have seen enough fights to know when someone is counter-fighting and when someone is doing just enough to win by points and running away before he gets his block knocked off, and that's what Bisping was doing. B-o-r-i-n-g.

In a little bit of an ironic twist, the Ali-Liston fight is on ESPN Classic while I am posting this. Ali was sticking and moving, looking to frustrate Liston into a mistake that he could take advantage of, and that is exactly what happened. Ali knew he couldn;t match Liston's punching power, even though Ali had a pretty solid punch back in the day. Ali wasn;t looking to hit and run. I'm watching round 3 right now, and Ali came out and tagged Liston repeatedly with punches and actually hurt Liston.

My point is that Bisping wasn;t looking to wear Leben down in that fight, or to take him down and try and neutralize Leben's striking power. He was looking to win by decision and whats worse, he said it in the post-fight interview with Rogan, which was one hell of an indictment against him.

How many fights of Bisping have you seen? Did you even watch his last two fights before the Leben fight? Leben is a top 10-15 caliber fighter on a great night, and is known for having a big chin. It would be stupid if he fought Leben the same way he did against Jason Day, as Leben is a different fighter then he is, and can end the match at any moment.

He's a fighter, and he came in with the right gameplan to WIN his fight and move up in the ladder in the middleweight division. You can't bash fighters for wanting to win their bouts and not playing into the strengths of their opponet, thats fucking retarded. Bisping knows he doesn't have even pop in his punches to hurt Leben, so why even try to finish him off throwing haymakers when there is a great possibility he can get rocked by one of Leben's haymakers?

Leben didn't bash Bisping for his performance or his gameplan, EVERYONE EXPECTED BISPING TO FIGHT LIKE THIS. Anderson Silva backed up and countered Leben as well, but he was able to rock Leben, because A) He has more power in his punches, and B) He's a better striker then Bisping.

Bisping had a lot riding on this fight, and it would be stupid if his trainer to not prepare that type of gameplan for Bisping.

How many fights of Bisping have you seen? Did you even watch his last two fights before the Leben fight? Leben is a top 10-15 caliber fighter on a great night, and is known for having a big chin. It would be stupid if he fought Leben the same way he did against Jason Day, as Leben is a different fighter then he is, and can end the match at any moment.

He's a fighter, and he came in with the right gameplan to WIN his fight and move up in the ladder in the middleweight division. You can't bash fighters for wanting to win their bouts and not playing into the strengths of their opponet, thats fucking retarded. Bisping knows he doesn't have even pop in his punches to hurt Leben, so why even try to finish him off throwing haymakers when there is a great possibility he can get rocked by one of Leben's haymakers?

Leben didn't bash Bisping for his performance or his gameplan, EVERYONE EXPECTED BISPING TO FIGHT LIKE THIS. Anderson Silva backed up and countered Leben as well, but he was able to rock Leben, because A) He has more power in his punches, and B) He's a better striker then Bisping.

Bisping had a lot riding on this fight, and it would be stupid if his trainer to not prepare that type of gameplan for Bisping.

The Leben of a year ago might have gone ahead and bashed him for jabbing and running. Obviously Chris is a different person now, and he was a good soldier in saying what he did post-fight.

Silva backed up and countered, Bisping did not. Jab, score point, run away. That is how I saw the fight. You saw different, don;t waste your keystrokes trying to change my mind. You would be wasting your time.

I am not arguing about his gameplan in that he should have done something that would have gotten him knocked out, but considering Bisping's last couple of fights (and yes I saw them), but what I am saying is that this is not something I want to see in MMA. I'm not looking for two guys standing and throwing punches and kicks at each other with no concept of movement or defense, but the last thing I want to see is a fighter in any sport; boxing, MMA, whatever, land a point scoring punch and then spend fifteen to twenty seconds staying way out of the reach of the other fighter. Defensive fighting is different to my view, in that a fighter is moving around to set up his own offense, providing a harder target to hit and countering when the opponent is on the attack. Bisping was not doing that at all to my view, and I certainly hope that this is not the trend in the way to win fights.

Eh, I don't really blame Bisping for fighting like he did. Only Silva & Cote have been able to survive extended exchanges with Leben. More often than not, it ends with the other guy catching a blind shot and going down. Had Bisping gone out there and done the same, people would've derided him for trying to KO someone a puncher like Benji Radach couldn't KO himself.