TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE SummerSlam 2008

I liked how they showed JUST enough of the stacked tables outside with the camera view from the apron as Edge was sitting on the turnbuckle, about to be chokeslammed through them. Nice bit of foreshadowing without completely giving away the spot.

I liked how they showed JUST enough of the stacked tables outside with the camera view from the apron as Edge was sitting on the turnbuckle, about to be chokeslammed through them. Nice bit of foreshadowing without completely giving away the spot.

The second Edge teased doing the Old School, I knew he was going to end up through the tables.

Edge has been getting fucked over the same way he fucked over people in the past

first it was Punk

now Taker

now I guess we have to wait for Jeff Hardy to beat up Edge's dad

Well, this show tonight was what I expected it to be. Crap. Edge/Taker was ok, and I laughed hysterically at the flames, but I am really tired of WWE just doing Hell in a Cell matches that are lame and not really violent. Nobody even did a blade job! I think the company should tell the wrestlers that if your in a Hell in a Cell match, you have to be willing to put your body on the line to give the fans what they really want, shocking violence, not just a hardcore match in a cage. I was really glad that Cena just jobbed to Batista though. I kept thinking to myselft ever since the match was announced that Cena should just job clean since he doesn't deserve any wins at this point. I am really digging this Michaels/Jericho stuff too. That angle was excellent tonight, but it should have been on Raw.

'Job' Cena strikes again. I don't understand what they're doing with him. He's getting owned on PPV on a monthly basis. And these losses aren't even screwy. Clean jobs for three straight months.

Good match, tho. I'd like to see them go again.

Heel turn coming for Cena

Well, this show tonight was what I expected it to be. Crap. Edge/Taker was ok, and I laughed hysterically at the flames, but I am really tired of WWE just doing Hell in a Cell matches that are lame and not really violent. Nobody even did a blade job! I think the company should tell the wrestlers that if your in a Hell in a Cell match, you have to be willing to put your body on the line to give the fans what they really want, shocking violence, not just a hardcore match in a cage. I was really glad that Cena just jobbed to Batista though. I kept thinking to myselft ever since the match was announced that Cena should just job clean since he doesn't deserve any wins at this point. I am really digging this Michaels/Jericho stuff too. That angle was excellent tonight, but it should have been on Raw.

You need to be punched in the face. Cabbageboy too for other reasons.

Well, come on, don't you think Hell in a Cell is unwanted if its just going to be a by the numbers match? Hell in a Cell is meant to be something shocking, not just standard hardcore spots. The last really violent one was HHH/Cactus Jack in 2000, and you notice that it was probably the beginning of HHH getting over as a main eventer.

What do you want? Exploding glass tubes? HIAC isn't about a big bump, it's about hatred. There was nothing by the numbers about the match. Blood doesn't need to paint the canvas to be a quality brawl. They had a very nuanced match with great pacing and tremendous element of storytelling through it. The finish to the match was spot-on to play back all the way to the very start of this entire deal. That's textbook and it worked. Yes, the post-match antics was entertainment-heavy but the match itself was far removed from anything close to paint by numbers performance.

He deserves to be punched in the face because he has a differing opinion than you do on a wrestling pay-per-view? Seriously. Take some prozac.

Brock/Taker was more violent than Foley/Trips. Hell, Batista/Trips was really violent as well. Just because they don't have someone falling off the top of the cell doesn't mean it isn't violent.

He deserves to be punched in the face because he has a differing opinion than you do on a wrestling pay-per-view? Seriously. Take some prozac.

No, for his neverending negativity in EVERY THREAD.

So some people don't deserve to get punched in the face? WTF kinda country are we living in?

You don't need copious blood for a violent match.

If a spear through a cage, an unprotected chairshot across the face, a spear that involved running from one table to another and a collision through a third, a chokeslam off the top rope through two tables outside and two TV-monitor-to-the-head shots weren't enough for you, I don't know what to say.

Well, come on, don't you think Hell in a Cell is unwanted if its just going to be a by the numbers match? Hell in a Cell is meant to be something shocking, not just standard hardcore spots.

I would've shit my pants if Benoit crawled out from the flames

Wouldn't Eddie Guerrero make more sense in context of La Familia?

Gangrel should have risen up from the ashes with the Brood theme music playing.

Gangrel hasn't forgotten The Undertaker kicking him and the rest of The Brood out of The Ministry 9 years ago.

I'm already being threatened with being punched and I haven't even posted in this thread? Thoughts on the various matches:

--Opener was okay, just par for the course of seemingly every Jeff Hardy match these days. He seems to be channeling Macho circa 1995 in terms of opening hot, then getting his ass kicked for 90% of the match, then hitting a comeback move, and either winning or losing from there. I would assume this booking would now lead to MVP going after HHH, since they can nicely slip into Jeff vs. Shelton for the US title.

--I enjoyed the mixed tag quite a bit and thankfully they didn't do anything ultra stupid with it like put the women's belt on Santino or the IC on Beth Phoenix. Hopefully Kingston gets a rematch since he didn't even lose his belt at all. Santino isn't the greatest wrestler but he may well be the most entertaining guy on WWE's roster.

--The Michaels/Jericho angle was excellent stuff, but it had zero business being on PPV. People pay to see matches, not a Raw angle. This was frustrating given the next match.

--Matt Hardy vs. Mark Henry. The ECW title continues to get dumped on by WWE creative. I mean a 30 second match with a DQ finish? WTF?? I assumed as it happened that Teddy Long would simply come out and toss Atlas and restart the match but that never happened. Either quit booking any ECW matches on PPVs or give these guys some semblance of respect in the booking.

--Punk vs. JBL. This was what it needed to be. Punk needed a win, he got it. I would have preferred it be Jericho since the match would have been better most likely, but whatever. Now let's move Punk on to something more useful.

--HHH vs. Khali. See above. Obviously this wasn't going to be any good, but it served the purpose it was booked to have. I actually picked Khali since I just don't see any point in HHH with the belt at this point (other than to feed his ego of course). Figured Khali could transition to UT at Unforgiven if nothing else. Seriously though, please WWE....stop main eventing Khali on major PPVs.

--Cena vs. Batista. This shocked the hell out of me. Once the Henry/Hardy match had that lame DQ I figured they wouldn't do that twice in one show, but I thought Cena needed the win more if it came to someone having to win clean here. But wow, Batista just beat his ass in the center. Kind of an average match and didn't really even have the crazy crowd heat one expects from Cena. I think Cena has gotten to the point where he's so played out and stale that he doesn't even get the hostile boos at this point, it's more drowned out in apathy. The clean, decisive finish leads me to think this won't be any sort of WM rematch next year, or if there sorta is it would involve a 3rd man.

--HIAC, Undertaker vs. Edge. I was basing my enjoyment of this PPV almost entirely on this match since I assumed the undercard would be mediocre. Did this match save the show? Eh, it did in some ways. After the superb, psychotic build from Edge on SD I was expecting.....something else. They had to do an ultra hard sell for this match because truth be told unless Edge has 10 guys running in he simply can't beat UT one on one. I'm amazed anyone would think Edge could win here since he beat up his own lackeys and the entire point of this match was him jobbing. The jobbing part was never in doubt, but the journey of how he jobbed and how UT beat his ass was the key. After the SD build, it just wasn't vicious enough. I kept waiting for the Edge massive bladejob...and waiting...and waiting. And it never happened. Is this some byproduct of the weak new PG rating, the lack of blood? This is a match that needed it since the match felt like it was missing something without it. Also, I don't know how wise it was to have the tease of going outside only to do a table spot and nothing involving the top of the cell (which is what people expect, even demand, when guys exit the HIAC).

Truth be told, it might be time to give HIAC a rest. The first two set the bar so high that it's almost impossible to ever top those. As much as I wanted it, Edge with his neck surgery and other injuries over the years simply isn't the guy to take some crazed bump in it. So where do we go from here with any of this stuff? More Batista/Punk on Raw? UT vs. HHH on SD? Or HHH vs. MVP?

Just got back from SummerSlam. Had floor seats back by the pyro. As many times as I've sat back there, I never get used to that shit. Here's a rundown real quick.

Really cool set. Best set I've been to for the WWE.

Dark Match

Big Show vs Chavo. Big Show gets the win over chavo and when show goes to the back, chavo chases him down. Show hits chavo with a smack to the chest and walks behind the curtain casually.

PPV

MVP vs Hardy.

Crowd seemed mostly behind MVP throughout the match with some cheering for Hardy.

Santino and Beth vs Kofi and Mickey.

Not a bad match, but most people really weren't into it.

HBK segment.

I really liked this segment and it seemed most people were paying attention and liking it.

Matt Hardy over Mark Henry.

Really quick match. Biggest pop came when Jeff came out.

Punk over JBL.

Great match minus JBL's boring holds. JBL walked right past me and it was fun to yell at him. Good to see Punk get the clean win. Punk got a WAY better reaction than the last time I saw him live (last time Smackdown was here)

HHH over Kahli.

HHH is over huge as normal. I counted 3 good "you can't wrestle" chants with the 2nd one being the loudest.

Batista over Cena.

Really good crowd reaction for both. Seemed more were behind Batista than Cena tonight. I'm so glad we got the "yay, boo" done right. Usually our crowds don't do shit. I thought the crowd was hot for pretty much the whole much. Also, I can't explain enough how amazing Batista's pyro is when you're right up next to it. Your adrenaline shoots through the roof.

Taker over Edge.

I had high hopes for this match and they matched and exceeded them all. Taker's entrance was awesome as usual. With the fire up top and the insane amount of smoke down below, it was really cool. Only bad part of the match was constantly having to look back and forth between the live action and the big screen/Titan Tron/ Jumbo Tron/ etc. It wasn't too much of a hassle, cause the match made it all worth it. I was hoping for an off the cell move and so was most of the crowd with the "go up top" chant. The dude next to me called the chokeslam through the ring spot, but no one saw the flames coming. It all made sense though, cause they had dudes in flame retardant suits come in before the cena and batista match. They also were taking a whole bunch of shit to the back from the ring before the Taker match.

Great show overall and I definitely had a hell of a time. Also, I was glad to see the crowd was active pretty much throughout the PPV with chants, yays and boos, etc. Good change from the last PPV that was here (the infamous 'elevated liver enzymes' Great American Bash)

I gotta check to see how good the crowd was on TV. How did it come across to you guys?

WWE.Com has extreme close-ups of Rebecca Hickenbottom's face backstage. It's clearly something they told her to stick on her lip. You can see the borders of where you can peel it off.

It was hard to tell with the stream. The ropes were purple, right?

WWE.com's Superstars page still doesn't have Santino listed as the Intercontinental Champion, nor Beth as Women's Champion. That makes me worry that Adamle will announce that they have each won the other belts instead, on Raw, especially after that picture of Beth with the IC belt.

bethphoenixicchampej0.jpg