TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

ECW on Sci-Fi (8/19/2008)

After the short Extreme Title match between ECW Champ Mark Henry and Matt Hardy resulted in a disqualification at SummerSlam, the World’s Strongest Man remains the World’s Strongest Champion, at least until Tuesday. ECW General Manager Theodore Long announced on WWE.com that the SummerSlam competitors will face off once again for the gold on ECW on Sci Fi this week. (WATCH) Will Henry retain the ECW Championship or will Hardy become the next to hold Extreme gold? Read more on this story…

Armando Estrada finally earned his place in the Land of the Extreme, but lost his first match as a contracted ECW Superstar to Finlay. Will Estrada be able to regain the momentum he once had on ECW? A scowling Mike Knox looked on as Finlay defeated Estrada. Now that Knox sees that the man who loves to fight hasn’t gone soft thanks to his relationship with his son, Hornswoggle, will he continue to express his disdain for Finlay like he’s been for the past few weeks? Will the sinister Knox and Finlay ever bring their rivalry into the ECW ring?

Finally, Evan Bourne’s winning ways over Bam Neely continued, when Chavo Guerrero ordered his bodyguard – still injured with a concussion after last week’s attack by Edge on SmackDown – to compete against the quick-thinking, unpredictable Bourne. Who will be able to stop the high-flying, odds-beating Superstar who came to ECW as part of General Manager Theodore Long’s New Superstar Initiative? Will Neely & Guerrero back down from the seemingly unbeatable newcomer?

Another new ECW Superstar, Ricky Ortiz, remains undefeated on ECW with a 3-0 record. While trying to convince Long he’s going to take over the WWE Universe with his merchandising ideas, Long informed Ortiz that ECW's New Superstar Initiative is in full effect, and he’ll have another match on next week’s ECW on Sci Fi, this time against a new Extreme Superstar. Who will Ortiz meet in the ring and will he be able to stop this newcomer? (WATCH)

Find out the answers to these questions and more by tuning into ECW on Sci Fi, Tuesday at 10/9 CT.

Gavin, man they keep getting goofier with these names. That ain't as bad as Braden Walker though or Primo Colon. I mean will Angus Perez be next or Augie Wilson. That opening match was ridiculously fun though and the fans are loving Sydal.

Indeed, that was perennial developmental talent Shawn Spears making his TV debut as Gavin Spears. He's 6-foot-3, 235 lbs, and only 27 years old.

It was a really hot opener if you ask me. It wasn't a match of the year or anything like that of course, but it was a lot of fun.

I think Matt Striker is doing a great job in his new position.

The crowd was loving the main event which was pretty good even with Henry keeping the title. Good opener as well makes for a strong overall show tonight.

Quite an enjoyable little show, as ECW has been of late. Evan Bourne (Sydal) is one of my favorite guys to watch in WWE right now. Main event was pretty good after a sluggish midsection. Ortiz' finisher in OVW was called The Boneyard Boogie in case anyone was wondering.

One thing that made me chuckle was "Gavin" Spears. I guess there's room for only one Shawn in WWE land. But why not another S name? Shane Spears...ah crap there's already Shane McMahon (but why not use it anyway, Shane is barely on TV anymore). Or maybe Scott Spears? But Gavin? Are they trying to make sure he has no hope of getting over?

Quite an enjoyable little show, as ECW has been of late. Evan Bourne (Sydal) is one of my favorite guys to watch in WWE right now. Main event was pretty good after a sluggish midsection. Ortiz' finisher in OVW was called The Boneyard Boogie in case anyone was wondering.

One thing that made me chuckle was "Gavin" Spears. I guess there's room for only one Shawn in WWE land. But why not another S name? Shane Spears...ah crap there's already Shane McMahon (but why not use it anyway, Shane is barely on TV anymore). Or maybe Scott Spears? But Gavin? Are they trying to make sure he has no hope of getting over?

Scott was already given to a new performer. Gavin Spears isn't horrendous. It isn't that name that makes the impact. Bill Goldberg is the most generic possible name in the wrestling business and that didn't hurt his appeal. A name in the wrestling business can develop to present the illusion of importance of that person. You will rarely see a name and instantly believe "Well, he's a main eventer" on the basis of his name alone. Evan Bourne isn't suffering because his name felt forced when he debuted.

I'm digging Henry as the ECW champ. It's actually kind of cool to have an old school monster heel as the champ. And how could you not like Tony Atlas showing off his guns.

I'm actaully starting to enjoy ECW a little. I dig Miz and Morrison as they work well together. Evan Bourne is simply put, awesome. Ricky Ortiz wasn't horrible (this is the first match of his I have seen), and I can really see people, speciffically kids, getting behind him with the rally towel. Gavin Spears looked pretty good in his debut. I missed the main event, but from what I understand, it was good. I'm digging Henry as champion. Finley/Knox segment wasn't terrible, but I don't like the "kindler, gentler" Finlay. Also, Super Crazy sighting. He got fat, but can still go.

I think with guys like Bourne, Ortiz and Spears coming in, it wouldn't be bad to start to bring in a secondary title.

Evan Bourne also isn't too bad of a ring name, Hawk. It's a pointless name change, but it isn't really a bad one.

You can get over with a name like Bill Goldberg if you look like Goldberg and go out and destroy jobbers left and right with intense power moves. But Gavin Spears? Oddly enough I think that Colt Cabana should have been Gavin Goldman and then there could be Scott Spears. Those names have a ring to them at least.

You do realize you just compared Goldberg's gimmick to another wrestler's name right? You're missing the point, it's not the name that won't get someone over, it's the gimmick that won't get someone over. The argument you should be making is that you don't think the name Gavin Spears is a very marketable name.

If you really want to make an agrument of WWE failing to get Gavin Spears over, make the argument that he debuted, had a decent side promo where he stated he was the crown jewel of the new wrestler program but still lost in his tv debut.

I think his point just was that using Goldberg as the example of why the name doesn't matter seems silly since Goldberg was really a unique case as far as look, gimmick, and booking. If Gavin Spears or Scott Goldman had the same sort of truly impactful path that Goldberg had, yeah, their names probably wouldn't matter. But assuming they don't get super pushes based on physical superiority the comparison doesn't really work. They'll probably get a lesser push than Goldberg.

That being said I'm not sure the name matters much anyway. Personally I just find it stupid that WWE insists on doing this stuff. If the fear of having 2 guys with the same name is really the issue that's just insulting and stupid. And whatever the reason it strikes me as silly to divorce a guy from his past, especially a guy like Colt Cabana who could have debuted on SD last night and then sent a SD viewer to the web to do a search for "Colt Cabana" that would turn up a lot more than "Scott Goldman." But for whatever reason WWE seems to want to ignore what happens outside of their "Universe."

That being said I don't think "Gavin Spears" is THAT bad all things considered. But WWE does tend to pick strange names for these guys which I can only presume they think will be "memorable."

I'm actaully starting to enjoy ECW a little. I dig Miz and Morrison as they work well together. Evan Bourne is simply put, awesome.

Agreed. Bourne been getting some nice pops from the crowd, lately. I just wish Kofi was still in ECW, I think he could have a nice little spotfest with Bourne that would really get the crowd going.

Actually, scratch that. The talent exchange is still in effect if you're an ECW wrestler and you decide you want to appear on Smackdown. 'Sup Chavo?

Maybe it should be called "The Chavo Loophole".

The talent exchange is still in effect.

Actually, scratch that. The talent exchange is still in effect if you're an ECW wrestler and you decide you want to appear on Smackdown. 'Sup Chavo?

I remember a couple of weeks ago on SD, Super Crazy was wrestling Brian Kendrick. Super Crazy was wearing an ECW shirt, to which Tazz joked that Crazy didn't get the memo that he'd been traded to SD.(I initially thought it was the talent exchange in effect until he made this remark.) I didn't remember hearing about any trade, and it was never specified who ECW apparently got in return. Is it really so hard for them to keep shit like this strait?