Sign in to follow this  

In Your House #4 - October 1995

Fatu vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

Razor Ramon & The 1-2-3 Kid vs. The Smoking Gunns for the WWF World Tag Titles

Goldust vs. Marty Jannetty

Mabel vs. Yokozuna

Razor Ramon vs. Dean Douglas for the Intercontinental Championship

The British Bulldog vs. Diesel for the WWF World Title

Match listing like I always do. Looks like a pile of shit. Will make time to watch tomorrow.

I remember watching this show as "Winter Combat 96" and hating it (especially the awful Diesel/Bulldog match) BUT, and I've only watched one match so far, things are looking up right now:

1. The 24/7 graphic indicates the PPV is taking place not in "Winnipeg", not in "Canada", but the "GREAT WHITE NORTH"~!.

Edit: My mistake, the show is CALLED "Great White North". That's less funny. The synthesized national anthem they play at the end of part 1 is awesome though.

2. Gorilla Monsoon indicates Dean Douglas is the IC champion, giving him "the rights and privileges" associated with such. This got me to think exactly what rights and privileges the IC champion gets. Front of the line access at catering? The fee of his rental car paid for? A private dressing room? This is certainly food for thought.

3. About 3 seconds after the bell rings for the opener (Makin' a Difference Fatu vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley) McMahon yells BAAAAAAAAAACK BODYDROP. That's always worth a listen.

4. The above mentioned match... actually wasn't bad. I would even say it was a good opener. Maybe I was just in a good mood thinking about all the rights and privileges Dean Douglas had.

Also, does anyone remember who this ring announcer that looks kinda like Shawn Majumder is?

I'm trying to think of whether I've seen this show or not. I know I saw the main event at one point, but I don't know when or why. I'm one of the biggest Bulldog fans around, but I never liked that initial 1995 heel turn stuff at all.

IMO this PPV is one of the low points in WWE/F history. There are worse PPVs (Hell- WWF put on one four months earlier0 but I just remember this being one of the most boring and forgettable PPVs ever and in a way isn't that almost worse than PPVs that are just egregiously bad? All of the In Your House PPVs from '95 and '96 were alike. One standout match and a bunch of forgettable crap. The difference with this one is there is no one standout match.

Now was this before or during Bill Watts' run with the book? I remember he was in charge around the time of Survivor Series '95 and I remember someone referencing him being upset by Shawn Michaels getting his ass whooped by those guys in Syracuse.

The card (and show description) says Mabel vs. Yokozuna, but I didn't see it. It's entirely possible that it was so bad I had to erase it from my mind, but I don't think so. Not that I'm complaining.

Edit: I must have thought since I read it here, I read it on the program guide, but Mabel vs. Yokozuna is not listed.

I remember this was the first time we saw HHH with his hair down. Heretofore he always had his hair in a ponytail, but in his match with Fatu it came loose and those beautiful blond tresses flew free, kicking off a three-year reign as the Best Hair In Wrestling.

Also, this was the debut of Goldust in his early, dick-accentuating spandex bodysuit. Later he would switch to a shiny pleather outfit that hid his junk a little better.

Reportedly after this show Vince threw down his headset, yelled "TERRIBLE!" and stormed to the back. Can't blame him.

You know, getting back to that Bulldog heel turn....I got the SS box set and it seemed like Bulldog had already done a heel turn, maybe the week before the PPV. I didn't recall that at all. In fact I thought he turned heel in Sept. 1995, which led to this PPV's main event in October. How laughable is it that he did the heel turn the week BEFORE SummerSlam, blatantly telegraphing that Diesel had to beat Mabel and then face the new heel challenger Bulldog. That booking blows my mind.

Yoko - Mabel lasted two minutes tops ending in a double CO & them hugging or something. Looked like it could've been a cool monster match, but it was garbage.

Tag match isn't too bad IIRC.

Douglas dropping belt to Razor right after getting it was kind of interesting back then.

& don't forget the debut of "You'll never forget the name.....Goldust!"

Considering other IYH shows this one was not the worst, but far from the best.

Personally the idea of a 6 match 2 hour PPV seemed like a horrible idea. I gues they couldn't sell what was a $30 ppv every month at that time, but most the matches on these PPV's were more like free tv quality.

I ordered this show and have it on VHS somewhere, I love it. Shawn handing over the title was very traumatic to watch. And Diesel/Bulldog was a dream match for me as they were my two favorites at the time.

The In Your House shows were a great concept, $20 2 hour ppvs (and this is when they started at 7 EST). It was the perfect sell to families based on price and time slot and with three brothers in mine we got a lot of the shows.

That's what I was saying was that they knew they couldn't get $30 every month so they made the $20 ones. Plus I don't think they had enough talent at the time to consistently do 3 hour shows. I mean even WM 11 only had i think 7 matches. Reminds me of the WCW days.

The first IYH was $15. I believe they bumped them to $20 after that.

I can't remember if it's this IYH or the December installment where Vince was so upset with the main event that he bitched out Diesel almost immediately after the match ended.

Actually, it was just "In Your House." They never referred to them by numbers.

Yeah, by "officially" I meant internally. Like, it appeared as "IYH #4" on a PYBO poll awhile ago, perhaps last year when they did Flight 24/7.

Wikipedia has names listed for all of them but who knows where they come from. When these shows were released on tape they had another name entirely (this was "Winter Combat" and included some of December's show). Apparently IYH 2 was "The Lumberjacks".

This is the alleged Diesel bitch-out show. Someone mentioned Bret Hart confirmed it in his book but I don't recall reading it, possible though. The first version of the story I heard was Vince got pissed during the match and called an audible but (though I admit I got so bored I HAD to FF it) I didn't see anything like that happen.

Yeah it has to be this show where Vince chewed out Diesel, since Nash didn't main event the Dec. PPV (that was Bret vs. Bulldog....great match too). Just wondering but what exactly did Vince get pissed about? Did Nash go against the plans that were laid out in the back for the main event?

Here's the quote from Bret's book about the Diesel/Bulldog main event:

Diesel got no help from the Canadian audience and the match bombed badly enough that Vince hurled his headset down in disgust and hissed "Horrible!"

Page 374 for all of those with the book.

Yeah it has to be this show where Vince chewed out Diesel, since Nash didn't main event the Dec. PPV (that was Bret vs. Bulldog....great match too). Just wondering but what exactly did Vince get pissed about? Did Nash go against the plans that were laid out in the back for the main event?

I don't think it was because Nash went against the plans or anything like that. I think Vince was just pissed cause it was a really shitty match. Though I wonder why that match was the one where he finally lost it and decided Diesel had to lose the title soon. It was really no worse than any of Diesel's other PPV title defenses against people not named Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels.

I don't think it was because Nash went against the plans or anything like that. I think Vince was just pissed cause it was a really shitty match. Though I wonder why that match was the one where he finally lost it and decided Diesel had to lose the title soon. It was really no worse than any of Diesel's other PPV title defenses against people not named Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels.

It was sort of the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back from what I recall. Diesel was an epic failure as champion and Vince stuck with him much longer than he probably should have. I think by this point, it was clear even to Vince that Diesel's prominence in the main event scene was hurting business.

How many PPV title defenses did Nash have that weren't against either Bret or Shawn? Rumble was Bret, Survivor Series was Bret, at KOTR I think Diesel and Bigelow teamed for some lame match, it was Diesel and HBK teaming at another IYH. I guess there was the lone Bulldog match in Oct. 95. And of course the crappy Sid and Mabel matches, which I think are the ones that really tanked his title run.

That tag title match was kinda weird with two face teams alternating playing heel, but it wasn't bad. Every other match in the first part was, though. Dustin was pretty pudgy when he debuted, wasn't he?

How many PPV title defenses did Nash have that weren't against either Bret or Shawn? Rumble was Bret, Survivor Series was Bret, at KOTR I think Diesel and Bigelow teamed for some lame match, it was Diesel and HBK teaming at another IYH. I guess there was the lone Bulldog match in Oct. 95. And of course the crappy Sid and Mabel matches, which I think are the ones that really tanked his title run.

Yeah, after Bret at the Rumble and Shawn at Mania, it was TWO title matches against Sid, SummerSlam against Mabel (and I just saw that match today, what an odd choice by Nash to bust out a plancha for that bout), then he technically defended his title against Bulldog and Yokozuna in September.

That Mabel crap nearly forced me to give up on the WWF in the Summer of 1995. Such a phenomenally awful idea. The sad thing is that SS 95 is actually a pretty good PPV outside of that main event and maybe the women's title match. The problem it had is that too many matches are one major star going against a guy that....sucks. Diesel/Mabel, Bret/Yankem (decent match, bad gimmick for the future Kane), UT vs. Kama (another guy who got over after repackaging).