TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #

1 1 Tropic Thunder P/DW $16,100,000 -37.6% 3,352 +33 $4,803 $65,668,000 $92 2

2 N The House Bunny Sony $15,100,000 - 2,714 - $5,563 $15,100,000 $25 1

3 N Death Race Uni. $12,293,000 - 2,532 - $4,855 $12,293,000 $45 1

4 2 The Dark Knight WB $10,305,000 -37.1% 3,163 -427 $3,257 $489,179,000 $185 6

5 3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars WB $5,660,000 -61.3% 3,452 - $1,639 $24,998,000 - 2

6 5 Pineapple Express Sony $5,600,000 -42.9% 2,620 -452 $2,137 $73,928,000 $27 3

7 4 Mirrors Fox $4,875,000 -56.3% 2,664 - $1,829 $20,075,000 - 2

8 N The Longshots MGM/W $4,304,000 - 2,089 - $2,060 $4,304,000 - 1

9 7 Mamma Mia! Uni. $4,303,000 -29.4% 2,326 -445 $1,849 $124,458,000 $52 6

10 6 The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor Uni. $4,069,000 -50.4% 2,422 -941 $1,680 $93,812,000 $145 4

11 10 Vicky Cristina Barcelona MGM/W $3,003,000 -20.0% 692 - $4,339 $8,569,000 - 2

12 N The Rocker Fox $2,750,000 - 2,784 - $987 $3,800,000 - 1

Anna Faris plays a Playboy bunny kicked out of the Playboy mansion, and she ends up mentoring an outcast sorority.

Looks decent, I like the cast and the director, so I'll check it out

Ouch for "The Rocker."

Dark Knight will probably finish with $510 when it's all said and done.

Now if it gets another release after the Oscars, then it might reach $540. But I don't know if it will get a 2nd release.

It doesn't shock me to see Tropic Thunder on top again but I thought Death Race would at least be #2. Thing is (which I noted in the Comments thread) Jason Statham is the sort of guy that is a DVD rental type star. As in nothing he's in looks so captivating that people go to the theater to see it, but he's well liked enough that a lot of people will rent or buy a DVD with him in it.

I'm glad that movie The Rocker tanked. The ads on TV tried to hype it being a sleeper hit. Who the hell would hype a movie being a sleeper hit? I thought every filmaker wished their movie was a blockbuster, then again, its never good for a movie to hype itself as that in ads.

The ads touting College as the teen comedy of the '00s are quite ludicrous. Don't they know that the teen comedy of the '00s was released last summer? The movie has got bomb written all over it. Nobody wants to see a raunchy teen comedy with Chicken Little and Drake Bell.

I just got back from watching Death Race. I absolutely loved this movie from start to finish. It met my expectations by being a gritty, violent car chase movie. So many moments reminded me of Twisted Metal (there's even a character in the movie named Mr. Grimm minus the motorcycle!) and Death Race made me leave with a smile. I would definately see this again.

I was disappointed that David Carradine didn't have a cameo as an inmate where he gave advice to Jason Statham's character about the Death Race, but (as Bob mentioned) hearing Joan Allen curse was awesome!

It looked terrible, I would have been surprised if it did any better.

Considering shit like Norbit and any of the Movie movies could draw decent numbers, I'm surprised The Rocker did so bad.

I just got back from watching Death Race. I absolutely loved this movie from start to finish. It met my expectations by being a gritty, violent car chase movie. So many moments reminded me of Twisted Metal (there's even a character in the movie named Mr. Grimm minus the motorcycle!) and Death Race made me leave with a smile. I would definately see this again.

I was disappointed that David Carradine didn't have a cameo as an inmate where he gave advice to Jason Statham's character about the Death Race, but (as Bob mentioned) hearing Joan Allen curse was awesome!

That's because

the first Frankenstein you see WAS Carradine.

I thought Clone Wars would do better because it being associated with Star Wars.

I thought Clone Wars would BE better because it being associated with Star Wars.

Curiosity with these reports.

These are just United States figures. They do not include Canada, do they?

I think it's North American box office.

I received an e-mail stating "See The Rocker and Free Jenna Fischer". Is she being held captive unless the movie makes some money? I don't understand.

I was polling my friends on what movie to see on Tuesday and already forgot Rocker was out. I suspect we'll go to Death Race (for no real reason other than it looking like the best of the new releases) or nothing.

I received an e-mail stating "See The Rocker and Free Jenna Fischer". Is she being held captive unless the movie makes some money? I don't understand.

I was polling my friends on what movie to see on Tuesday and already forgot Rocker was out. I suspect we'll go to Death Race (for no real reason other than it looking like the best of the new releases) or nothing.

nononono, you're reading it wrong, free Jenna Fischer. They're giving her out to everyone who sees the movie. It still didn't work.

Even if it flops in theatres, Death race looks like it could be a big hit on DVD, like a lot of Jason Statham's films. Its lukewarm release might be a bad sign though, since I think deathrace was Statham's first big test to see if he really could be a bankable star (like Brad Pitt or George Clooney) and carry a big budget film.

I do like Statham, but I hate most of his movies...isn't that weird? I just don't think he has it to be "The Guy", at least not here in the states. Ironically, my favorite role of his is in the non-action movie "London", as Chris Evan's drug supplier and party wingman for the evening.

nononono, you're reading it wrong, free Jenna Fischer. They're giving her out to everyone who sees the movie. It still didn't work.

If that were the case, I would go see The Rocker twice tonight.