TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

Even if it flops in theatres, Death race looks like it could be a big hit on DVD, like a lot of Jason Statham's films. Its lukewarm release might be a bad sign though, since I think deathrace was Statham's first big test to see if he really could be a bankable star (like Brad Pitt or George Clooney) and carry a big budget film.

The budget for Death Race was only 45 million, so it should make its money back. Plus, I think The Bank Job really helped his career. It didn't make a lot of money, but it had real good staying power and got good reviews.

I do like Statham, but I hate most of his movies...isn't that weird? I just don't think he has it to be "The Guy", at least not here in the states. Ironically, my favorite role of his is in the non-action movie "London", as Chris Evan's drug supplier and party wingman for the evening.

He's a better actor than most of the action stars out there, and unlike Stallone or Segal, is still young enough to be believable as a tough guy. I thought he was fantastic in crank. In the right role, he can be very good. But if the film is crap, he usually is too (War, Dungeon siege).

I agree he's very hit or miss at the box office and I don't know if he'd ever be A list. Like I said, I think you're more likely to check out his films on dvd, rather than going to the cinema.

Movie for movie Clive Owen is my favorite actor.

I'm 50/50 with Statham. Loved Crank, loved The Transporter...HATED Transporter 2, and that in the name of the king turd he did. I think Death Race has HBO or library check out written all over it for me

The Rocker had the worst opening of any movie on 2,500+ screens.

Top 5:

Rocker

Lucky You

Hoot

Rumour Has It (this shouldn't count, since it opened on a Sunday)

Joe Somebody

Why does Statham have to be "The Guy" anyway? He could have a really solid career being this generation's star of violent actioners. He is good in stuff like Crank but it's in that seedy UK underworld milieu that he truly excels, like in the Ritchie films or The Bank Job. He should alternate between standard American action flicks and the gritty British crime stuff.

I'm 50/50 with Statham. Loved Crank, loved The Transporter...HATED Transporter 2, and that in the name of the king turd he did. I think Death Race has HBO or library check out written all over it for me

The fight scenes in transporter 2 were superb. The rest of the film? Well, not great. But you don't go to see movies like that for terrific scripts and character development anyway. I can't wait for the third one.

In the name of the king falls under the terrority of so bad its good (like all uwe boll films). It was like Boll decided to LOTR with 1/3 of the budget. Burt Reynolds as a King? Ray Liotta as an evil wizard? An army of ninjas? How can than not provide some amount of entertainment? Although I think statham realised how crap it was, because he backed out of doing publicity for it, which pissed Uwe Boll off and he vowed to never to work with statham again.

Man, that part where he barrel rolls the car and deflects the bomb onto the crane? That is seriously one of my favorite action bits ever, and I live for shit like that.

The fight scenes in transporter 2 were superb. The rest of the film? Well, not great. But you don't go to see movies like that for terrific scripts and character development anyway. I can't wait for the third one.

In the name of the king falls under the terrority of so bad its good (like all uwe boll films). It was like Boll decided to LOTR with 1/3 of the budget. Burt Reynolds as a King? Ray Liotta as an evil wizard? An army of ninjas? How can than not provide some amount of entertainment? Although I think statham realised how crap it was, because he backed out of doing publicity for it, which pissed Uwe Boll off and he vowed to never to work with statham again.

And I'm sure Statham is crying over that.

Why does Statham have to be "The Guy" anyway? He could have a really solid career being this generation's star of violent actioners. He is good in stuff like Crank but it's in that seedy UK underworld milieu that he truly excels, like in the Ritchie films or The Bank Job. He should alternate between standard American action flicks and the gritty British crime stuff.

He was so good in Snatch and Lock Stock. I prefer him in movies like that as opposed to these action films he keeps getting put in.

In the Name of the King was so bad it was good. I thought Matthew Lillard was so terrible that every line he said had me laughing so hard I was nearly crying. To be honest, I've thought all of Uwe Boll's films are so bad they're good except for Alone in the Dark. Now that folks, was a piece of shit of a film.

I actually see it both ways. House of the Dead and Postal were both such unreal examples of howling batshit insanity that I couldn't help but perversely enjoy them. If I ever found myself hanging out with a group of like-minded friends and a bag of waccy tabaccy, I'd be all for popping one of those movies into the DVD player, blazing up, and then laughing like the dying weasels in Roger Rabbit at the jaw-dropping horror of it all. But Alone in the Dark, In the Name of the King, and both BloodRaynes were just incredibly bad in a lame, annoying, boring sort of way that certainly never made me want to ever see them again.

I really just found Alone in the Dark to be truly awful, as I've found his other movies to at least be somewhat amusing, but I have no idea how Alone in the Dark was a theatrical release, as that movie is bad in every single way possible.

I really just found Alone in the Dark to be truly awful, as I've found his other movies to at least be somewhat amusing, but I have no idea how Alone in the Dark was a theatrical release, as that movie is bad in ever single way possible.

I don't remember much about the time period it was released in, but did Tara Reid have any crediblity left when the movie was released (did she have any in the first place?)? Maybe Christian Slater was enough to convince the studio to give it a shot in theatres? Maybe I'm just putting too much thought into this?

My girlfriend and I managed to sit through House of the Dead the last time it was shown on Sci-Fi channel, and I honestly can't believe the movie studio didn't throw some lawsuit towards Boll to get their money back after this disaster.

Can we give Uwe Boll his own thread?

I actually found some aspects of Bloodrayne hilarious. Michael Madsen so clearly didn't give a shit that I couldn't decide if it was hilarious or just sad. I will say this about Boll though: I always end up seeing his awful movies.

How does Stephen Dorff keep getting shit roles (like in Alone in the Dark)? I figured after playing Stuart Sutcliffe and Deacon Frost, dude would be a hot commodity in Hollywood.

I don't remember much about the time period it was released in, but did Tara Reid have any crediblity left when the movie was released (did she have any in the first place?)?

Nope. Anything she had going for her was already gone by then.

I think the reason why Boll's movies always seem to make it to theaters, is because he does get a lot of financial backing. None of his movies are low budget or anything. Hell, didn't In the Name of the King cost like 50 million?

I still can't wait to see how bad College will do next weekend. It just looks like the worst thing ever...outside of these spoof movies like Disaster Movie...which seems to have nothing to do with disasters...but anything in recient movie memory

Thats the dumbest thing about Disaster Movie. From looking at the ads on TV for it, it doesn't look like its making fun of disaster movies at all. Instead, it looks like its making fun of every movie that came out this year.

Movies like INSERT ANYTHING HERE Movie don't even make JOKES when they're spoofing anymore.

Meet the Spartans. You have the Britney Spears girl with the shaved head getting kicked into the pit...where is the joke there?

Disaster Movie. Ok, the Juno looking girl, break dancing on her stomache...?? You have the midget dressed as Indiana Jones...and that itself seems to be the joke.

They just take anything recient and put total crap around it...and it's supposed to come off as a comedy movie.

There's a relevant Simpsons quote here...

"I don't get it."

"Dad, the zebra didn't do it, it's just a word at the end of the dictionary."

"I don't get it."

"It's just a joke."

"Oh, I get jokes! HA HA HA!"

You know, I tried watching some of Epic Movie and obviously it sucked, but I have to wonder why they didn't poke fun at LOTR any in it? It was mostly POTC and Narnia.

That was one of the strangest things about Epic Movie: it didn't even try to use any material relating to either Star Wars or LOTR, by far the two biggest series of epic movies of this (or any) decade. But yeah, if you want an education in just how bad modern Hollywood movies can be, the (Genre) Movie series is pretty much the best example of how low you can go. They're so terrible you can't even laugh at them, which is especially bad since they're supposed to be comedies.

Disaster Movie doesn't seem to meet the definition even for the shallowest of parody. It just seems to be

1. Here's a recent celebrity or movie character

2. Here's a recent celebrity or movie character meeting some horrible fate

3. Take that, recent celebrity or movie character!

Hopefully this is the movie that finally kills their film career... at least Uwe Boll had that whole tax write-off excuse before the Germans revoked that. The best quote I ever read about Friedberg and Seltzer was in a review for MTS (paraphrased):

"At the end of MTS, audiences are treated to President Bush getting kicked in the balls. As of this writing, President Bush's approval rating is 35%. Friedberg and Seltzer's movies average 8% at Rotten Tomatoes. At this rate, maybe America would rather see President Bush kick Friedberg and Seltzer in the balls."

Speaking of Boll, amazingly the worst thing about him that's stood out in my mind wasn't the rapage he's unleashed upon various source material, but rather the whole "You made fun mein movie? I fite you now!" incident

I think theaters refused to play POSTAL due to what it was about more than who it was directed by.

That being said the dvd, as an extra, will have the boxing matches btween Boll and his crtics.