TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

Spoilers for 4th and 11th

- Not exactly sure what will air on which episode as things were not taped in order.

- Booker T and Kurt Angle cut promos in the ring. They agree with Sting's comments and actions from last week. They invite Christian to join them in taking out Jarrett. Christian says no and they beat him down two on one until AJ Styles matches the save.

(1) Consequences Creed d. Sheik Abdul Bashir after the ref (Glamour Boy Shane) kicked Bashir to allow Creed to get the pin. Bashir and Shane brawled after the match.

- Sting came out and said he was suprised that no one was booing him after last week. Joe came down and tried to attack Sting with a batton but Kevin Nash stopped him. Sting then hit Joe with a Scorpion Death Drop.

(2) Christian Cage d. AJ Styles to qualify for the Four Ways to Glory match at the PPV after Frank Trigg nailed Styles with a kendo stick.

(3) Awesome Kong d. Roxxi in a Bimbo Brawl. After the match ODB and Kong brawled again.

- Sting called out Jeff Jarrett and Samoa Joe appeared in the rafters. He says JJ will be at No Surrender for sure. Jarrett's music then hits and he is seen standing on the entrance ramp as the crowd goes nuts.

(4) Christian Cage vs Abyss ended in a no contest when Team, Booker T and Kurt Angle all got invloved. Matt Morgan made the save.

- AJ Styles challenges Frank Trigg to a match at No Surrender and he accepts.

- Taylor Wilde won the first ever Beautiful People Beauty Pageant. The Prince Justice Brotherhood were the judges.

(5) Booker T & Kurt Angle d. Matt Morgan & Abyss after Team 3D got invloved.

I'd imagine the JJ segment will close the 11th show. And I'm sure Jingus will be more than happy to see Roxxi pick up another loss.

So Jarrett will be at the ppv huh? I'm assuming this Sting/Jarrett stuff will become more evident on their roles at that show, leading to whatever they have planned at Bound for Glory (I'm thinking Joe v. Sting has to be the plan with Jarrett taking a co-main event role against Booker or something)

So we got Booker v. Joe v. Angle v. Christian at the ppv? Sounds ok.

Who the fuck is "Glamour Boy Shane?"

Trigg in his first TNA match v. Styles should be interesting.

I think if Jarrett takes a low main event/high mid card spot it should be fine. Let the focus of the show be on other people and it's all good.

And I'm sure Jingus will be more than happy to see Roxxi pick up another loss.

Really though, who did Roxxi piss off backstage to job so many times in recent months?

Who the fuck is "Glamour Boy Shane?"

An American wrestler who has been working in Puerto Rico for a long time, so Dutch probably got him in.

And I see TNA have kept up their usual pattern of building up something big for a PPV, in this case the return of Jeff Jarrett, only to give it away on TV instead.

And I'm sure Jingus will be more than happy to see Roxxi pick up another loss.

Really though, who did Roxxi piss off backstage to job so many times in recent months?

I don't know, but you'd kind of like to have a small hope that it's all building to something.

In refferance to Jarrett returning on tv, if they end the show on the 11th with it, it's not bad. Plus, it's not like he's going to draw a huge buyrate for his return. And maybe they brought him out for the show since they have another big surprise for the PPV (Mick Foley).

In refferance to Jarrett returning on tv, if they end the show on the 11th with it, it's not bad. Plus, it's not like he's going to draw a huge buyrate for his return. And maybe they brought him out for the show since they have another big surprise for the PPV (Mick Foley).

Jeff's return is being presented as this major deal. Major deals are usually best served as climaxing PPV's, so they can make the company some money because, in theory, the fanbase will pay money to see that climax. If Jarrett's return isn't going to draw anything on PPV, even by TNA's pitiful standards, why not put the creative effort into something that actually will?

And if they do have Mick Foley coming in for the PPV, TNA better start getting the word out come 9/1, because Foley debuting on PPV might actually draw something with the TNA fanbase.

Debuting Foley at this point though would seem to muddle everything even more. I mean, we know where they're going with the story, and can even somewhat follow the alignments (Nash, Sting, Booker, Angle against Styles, Joe, seemingly Jarrett). The thing is, they haven't explained any sense of unity yet on television, so to say, have Foley debut as an equalizer for the "veterans" camp to offset Jarrett would still come off as a WTF moment.

Debuting Foley at this point though would seem to muddle everything even more. I mean, we know where they're going with the story, and can even somewhat follow the alignments (Nash, Sting, Booker, Angle against Styles, Joe, seemingly Jarrett). The thing is, they haven't explained any sense of unity yet on television, so to say, have Foley debut as an equalizer for the "veterans" camp to offset Jarrett would still come off as a WTF moment.

That would put Foley, who will be a major babyface, on what is meant to be the heel side. Which is completely nonsensical, so I expect that to be the route TNA take.

I cited it as an example, but it's a likely route.

Also, you would think that the "younger workers not respecting those who paved the way" would make them the heels and the veterans sympathetic, but again, it's TNA and Russo booking we're talking about.

The one thing I would like to see out of Foley though is in some way, put over Matt Morgan. Foley excels at getting people higher on the card at his expense, and Morgan deserves it the most. Not to mention if they can position him as a top star and build his credibility, he's a guy already somewhat known to the mainstream thanks to American Gladiators. I know Foley is friends with Joe and will likely want to work with him, but Joe doesn't need a rub. He needs help, sure, but not a rub.

Knocking on TNA for Jarrett showing up for 2 seconds at the end of Impact to lead into the ppv is ridiculous, HTQ. Like people would actually get the ppv to just get that? Give me a break. Usually, your critique of the company is valid, but you're stretching there.

If anything, that's a really decent last minute shot to build the ppv and a more significant appearance there.

Knocking on TNA for Jarrett showing up for 2 seconds at the end of Impact to lead into the ppv is ridiculous, HTQ. Like people would actually get the ppv to just get that? Give me a break. Usually, your critique of the company is valid, but you're stretching there.

You mean it's a good idea for Jarrett's big return to be a two-second appearance at the end of Impact, rather than using it as a tool to try and get people to buy the PPV? Jarrett can only make his big return once and, given that he's meant to be one of the major names in the upcoming feud between the young guys and the old guard, would it not make sense to make it a big deal going into the PPV, that you're going to see the big return of someone who is supposedly one of the company's top stars, and is going to be leading the babyface faction?

And if people, TNA fans specifically, wouldn't get a PPV to see Jarrett's return, why make him the focus of anything? If someone is going to be a top guy in the upcoming feud, the lead babyface in fact, he should be someone who is going to draw people in. If, as you say, people wouldn't pay to see Jarrett's big return, then he shouldn't be in the spot at all.

You mean it's a good idea for Jarrett's big return to be a two-second appearance at the end of Impact, rather than using it as a tool to try and get people to buy the PPV? Jarrett can only make his big return once and, given that he's meant to be one of the major names in the upcoming feud between the young guys and the old guard, would it not make sense to make it a big deal going into the PPV, that you're going to see the big return of someone who is supposedly one of the company's top stars, and is going to be leading the babyface faction?

And if people, TNA fans specifically, wouldn't get a PPV to see Jarrett's return, why make him the focus of anything? If someone is going to be a top guy in the upcoming feud, the lead babyface in fact, he should be someone who is going to draw people in. If, as you say, people wouldn't pay to see Jarrett's big return, then he shouldn't be in the spot at all.

They used that two second end of Impact with him showing up AS the tool to get people to get the ppv, I would have thought you would get that.

What I meant is that people aren't going to get the ppv just to get that first glimpse of Jarrett.......sure, they might get the ppv to see what he will DO, but until these tapings, they didn't even so much as suggest him even appearing at the ppv. Now it is official he is going to, so what is the issue here? His "big return" is still AT the ppv, having him stand at the top of the stage for a few seconds before they go off the air with Impact doesn't constitute this "return" you think should have been saved for the ppv. If I got the ppv and then the show ended with just simply Jarrett standing there like a dolt, I would be pissed.

Truth be told Jarrett's return already pseudo happened at the last PPV. It wasn't exactly him onscreen exactly but it was obviously him. So there's really no huge deal to his return on PPV at this point.

TNA is so hard to follow in terms of the heel/face dynamic at this point that I can't figure any of it out. I'm fairly sure Booker is a heel, I'm sorta sure Nash is a face (?), but guys like Joe, Sting, etc. I have no idea about.

They used that two second end of Impact with him showing up AS the tool to get people to get the ppv, I would have thought you would get that.

What I meant is that people aren't going to get the ppv just to get that first glimpse of Jarrett.......sure, they might get the ppv to see what he will DO, but until these tapings, they didn't even so much as suggest him even appearing at the ppv. Now it is official he is going to, so what is the issue here? His "big return" is still AT the ppv, having him stand at the top of the stage for a few seconds before they go off the air with Impact doesn't constitute this "return" you think should have been saved for the ppv. If I got the ppv and then the show ended with just simply Jarrett standing there like a dolt, I would be pissed.

Given the manner Joe has been booked, if he claims Jeff Jarrett is 'for sure' showing up the PPV, then nobody would buy it, so it probably does something for Joe that, for once, he's shown to have some kind clue.

Jeff is still going to get a big pop for doing whatever he's going to do at the PPV. The problem I have is that the "We haven't seen Jarrett in months" aspect has been removed, because we just saw him on Impact. It doesn't matter that it was for two seconds. They could have easily done something to make it clear Jarrett would be at the PPV without having him show up at all. They could just have done the deal where we hear Jarrett's voice over the PA, saying a few words about how he's going to be at the PPV and things will be made clear about where he stands. You get the assurance of his first appearance in months at the PPV, while saving that first appearance for when it will mean the most.

Truth be told Jarrett's return already pseudo happened at the last PPV. It wasn't exactly him onscreen exactly but it was obviously him. So there's really no huge deal to his return on PPV at this point.

TNA is so hard to follow in terms of the heel/face dynamic at this point that I can't figure any of it out. I'm fairly sure Booker is a heel, I'm sorta sure Nash is a face (?), but guys like Joe, Sting, etc. I have no idea about.

I'll see if I can break it down as best I can...

Booker is a heel, but was booked as the hometown babyface in his match with Joe. They used that match to position him as a sympathetic figure and Joe as a monster. Also, he was helped in that match by Sting, who was at the time a true blue face.

Sting returned helping a heel (Booker), who was actually a face that night, against a face (Joe) who was actually a heel that night. Now he's been targeting AJ Styles, who seems to be one of two people with any clear alignment at this point (face, while the other person, Kurt Angle, has played a solid heel). He stated that AJ went to far in his grudge against Kurt Angle (another heel).

Nash is the face coach of Samoa Joe, who has been booked to be a heelish manipulator that Joe doesn't fully trust. Now Joe seems to be playing the "woe is me" heel role, while Nash appears to be playing the "you need to show more respect" face veteran role.

Keep in mind that in all this, the veterans (Nash, Sting, Booker, Angle) are supposed to be the heels, while the younger crew (Styles, Joe) are supposed to be the faces.

I'm with RedJed on this.

I see what you're saying HTQ, but I don't think anyone's really going to buy a PPV for a special return appearance, at least a non-wrestling one, unless it's someone really huge. Jarrett's not big enough or been gone long enough to expect his return to really do anything to boost a buyrate. I mean, HHH's return was a big deal and they did that on an edition of Raw. Cena's return would have been a big deal but they used him as a surprise, unannounced Rumble entrant instead. Infact I can't really think of any return ever being used to help sell a PPV before unless it was a comeback match of some kind. Or involved in a match, if you want to count say Austin at Backlash 2000.

They at least saved Jarrett's first speech back and possibly his first physical interaction back for the PPV, so I guess they're trying to have their cake with a possible TV rating boost and eat it by saving the real stuff for the PPV.

Given the manner Joe has been booked, if he claims Jeff Jarrett is 'for sure' showing up the PPV, then nobody would buy it, so it probably does something for Joe that, for once, he's shown to have some kind clue.

Jeff is still going to get a big pop for doing whatever he's going to do at the PPV. The problem I have is that the "We haven't seen Jarrett in months" aspect has been removed, because we just saw him on Impact. It doesn't matter that it was for two seconds. They could have easily done something to make it clear Jarrett would be at the PPV without having him show up at all. They could just have done the deal where we hear Jarrett's voice over the PA, saying a few words about how he's going to be at the PPV and things will be made clear about where he stands. You get the assurance of his first appearance in months at the PPV, while saving that first appearance for when it will mean the most.

It's a tit for tat issue.....having him on the PA saying he would be at the ppv is essentially the same as him doing the two second stage shot to lead into the ppv, both are guaranteeing he will be on the ppv and its no swerve.

Ultimately, if people are that into Jarrett, they are going to get the ppv to see what hes going to do, not just simply to see him and how feathered his hair has gotten. He's not THAT big of a draw as to where people are just waiting on baited breath to see him that first initial time in person. And realistically, even if he was, ultimately what the small deal on Impact was, was just a tease and a way for people to get the ppv. I dont think anyone, after seeing him show up on Impact, are going to say, "Oh fuck it, I was going to get the ppv to check out what Jarrett was going to do, but fuck it since he already showed up". The thing is still that there is still the question of what is up with him and what role he will play upon the return here. That's the selling point.

I don't know how Nash could be a heel in this now, even if he attacked Joe. Joe has spent the past few months being such an asshole to Nash that it makes total sense for Nash to finally have enough.

But then I've been perplexed as to how Angle is the flat out heel in this Styles feud. Styles is the dude who is banging his wife (or maybe not, or maybe just wants to, hell I dunno) and Styles is the guy who also just stole his gold medal. Angle is the heel here why exactly?

I thought that was supposed to be the point. Sting's going to be right when he comes out on Impact and says that the young guys are disrespectful and have crossed the line lately. If there wasn't evidence of that it's a meaningless statement. What they're banking on is that people will still cheer AJ and boo Angle (they will) that they'll cheer Jarrett (they will) that they'll cheer Joe (and they will...as long as he's in with Booker or Angle...BUT I don't know what happens with anyone else) and that they'll boo Booker (they will). The problem is that they have no reason to boo Sting. ...or Nash if and when he turns. They must be hoping that they'll be booed by association...or that they'll actually do heelish things to get over.

This works if the heels (Sting, Angle, Booker and eventually Nash) take heel shortcuts while bitching about getting unfair treatment.

But this absolutely doesn't work if the old guys beat all the young guys.

Basically Joe needs to choke out a Sting who tried every shortcut in the book during their match. And I don't see that happening in that way...making the whole thing worthless.

But then I've been perplexed as to how Angle is the flat out heel in this Styles feud. Styles is the dude who is banging his wife (or maybe not, or maybe just wants to, hell I dunno) and Styles is the guy who also just stole his gold medal. Angle is the heel here why exactly?

Just a hunch here, but you don't have a girlfriend, do you?

I thought that was supposed to be the point. Sting's going to be right when he comes out on Impact and says that the young guys are disrespectful and have crossed the line lately. If there wasn't evidence of that it's a meaningless statement. What they're banking on is that people will still cheer AJ and boo Angle (they will) that they'll cheer Jarrett (they will) that they'll cheer Joe (and they will...as long as he's in with Booker or Angle...BUT I don't know what happens with anyone else) and that they'll boo Booker (they will). The problem is that they have no reason to boo Sting. ...or Nash if and when he turns. They must be hoping that they'll be booed by association...or that they'll actually do heelish things to get over.

This works if the heels (Sting, Angle, Booker and eventually Nash) take heel shortcuts while bitching about getting unfair treatment.

But this absolutely doesn't work if the old guys beat all the young guys.

Basically Joe needs to choke out a Sting who tried every shortcut in the book during their match. And I don't see that happening in that way...making the whole thing worthless.

The only thing I get out of all of this is that I see a Sting/Joe match at BFG in which somehow Joe "earns" Sting's respect and beats him clean. And then Sting will change his tune and kind of endorse the title reign of Joe. Anything beyond that is anyone's guess though, but I think we're not going to see Sting ever really go totally heel here and probably save Joe from Nash when he finally turns on Joe.

It's a tit for tat issue.....having him on the PA saying he would be at the ppv is essentially the same as him doing the two second stage shot to lead into the ppv, both are guaranteeing he will be on the ppv and its no swerve.

Ultimately, if people are that into Jarrett, they are going to get the ppv to see what hes going to do, not just simply to see him and how feathered his hair has gotten. He's not THAT big of a draw as to where people are just waiting on baited breath to see him that first initial time in person. And realistically, even if he was, ultimately what the small deal on Impact was, was just a tease and a way for people to get the ppv. I dont think anyone, after seeing him show up on Impact, are going to say, "Oh fuck it, I was going to get the ppv to check out what Jarrett was going to do, but fuck it since he already showed up". The thing is still that there is still the question of what is up with him and what role he will play upon the return here. That's the selling point.

I agree 100% with RedJed here. Jarrett just showing up for 2 seconds is just a way to really hype the PPV, and it doesn't hurt anything and it's more impactful than say showing a promo or just someone claiming Jarret is showing up. TNA actually went the smart route with this and is just going to show that Jarrett's presence actually exists and Jarrett isn't going out and attacking anyone or trying to get involved in an fight with someone before the ppv.

Now I could see your point HTQ if say, Jarrett all of a sudden ran in and started fighting with someone or if he had a match before the PPV, then yeah TNA would have dropped the ball and dropped it hard, but TNA just showing Jarrett's presence for a few short seconds is the smartest thing they can do right before a PPV.

I'm wondering if the reason will be that AJ and Joe are TNA or someting like that, or maybe Jarrett thinks the guys who already had their time need to push over and let the younger guys step up.

I like the idea of Jarrett coming in to help the "real" TNA, but then again Joe hasn't been there since day one, but he did make a national name for himself there.