TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Actors/Actress Draft!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Anybody going to take Gable? Bogart? Cary Grant?

Fuck's sakes. Van Wilder went before Cary Grant.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I was compelled to comment. I find these interesting. I'm not sure how that disrupts anything since you haven't picked a white person yet, and everbody else wants to remake Superbad or whatever.

Since you asked nice, though, ok. I'll kibitz.

I couldn't care less about someone I haven't seen. Whether they're considered great actors or not. And as I said earlier in the thread, I don't, haven't, and probably wouldn't, watch any classic movies. That's just not me.

I was compelled to comment. I find these interesting. I'm not sure how that disrupts anything since you haven't picked a white person yet

Yeah because, Marky Mark, Jennifer Connelly, and Alec Baldwin are soooooooo black, right? :rolleyes:

Can people who are not in the draft not post in here?

Thank you.

I'm not bothered, so long as they don't name drop.

Same here. Especially when they name drop my next fucking pick.

God, could Exslade be more of an ignoramus? I guess you don't like foreign films either cause they make you read?

So because I'm not a movie buff, I'm an idiot? Right.

I'm 20 years old. And I really just have no interest in watching movies that were made 20-50 years before I was born. So what? I'm not seeing how that's a problem for you. I have seen just about every episode of 'I Love Lucy'. Does that make you feel better?

Hell, I'm the same age as you and I'm sure most twenty year olds film tastes are way more like yours than mine. I just have a problem with people proudly boasting about their ignorance. I haven't seen a shitload of classic and foreign films but I'm trying my best to rectify that situation.

What has age got to do with it?

I suspect someone say, 40, is more likely to have seen more movies starring the likes of Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn then a lot of people my age.

And that's not to say there aren't cases such as the posters here, who grew up watching these movies evidently. But I didn't.

Hell, I'm the same age as you and I'm sure most twenty year olds film tastes are way more like yours than mine. I just have a problem with people proudly boasting about their ignorance. I haven't seen a shitload of classic and foreign films but I'm trying my best to rectify that situation.

It's not like we're talking about a science here, we're talking about movies. A form of entertainment. I personally can't get into most classic, or foreign films for that matter, and thus, I don't watch them. Because they aren't entertaining to me. That being the case, why would I watch them?

I'm not a film student. Movies have nothing to do with my major, any future jobs I might have, and in general I have no reason to study movies like some others need to. In all, I'm still not seeing how my lack of knowledge in regards to old movies makes me an "ignoramus", but whatever.

What has age got to do with it?

I suspect someone say, 40, is more likely to have seen more movies starring the likes of Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn then a lot of people my age.

And that's not to say there aren't cases such as the posters here, who grew up watching these movies evidently. But I didn't.

It's not like we're talking about a science here, we're talking about movies. A form of entertainment. I personally can't get into most classic, or foreign films for that matter, and thus, I don't watch them. Because they aren't entertaining to me. That being the case, why would I watch them?

I'm not a film student. Movies have nothing to do with my major, any future jobs I might have, and in general I have no reason to study movies like some others need to. In all, I'm still not seeing how my lack of knowledge in regards to old movies makes me an "ignoramus", but whatever.

>_>

Hey what's wrong with my group? It's not like I'm picking teenybopper actors here.

edit: Oh and I'm 24 years old and I generally prefer movies that were made before I was born than movies that were made after I was born.

Speaking of dismissing entire, vast genres, I've tried - repeatedly - to get into anime, and I just cannot do it. I need someone who knows my taste to recommend things (nobody here, I mean someone who really knows me). I like Akira, I watched Ghost in the Shell and couldn't follow it to save my ass, and I liked Vampire Hunter D. That's all I've seen besides adult swim stuff.

But uh, not liking classic movies isn't ok. If you don't, I'm not going to make you, but you should be ashamed of it.

Honestly, the reason why I haven't gone after any classic actors/directors other than my opening double-pick and... the second guy in my picks this time is that while I'm sure Katherine Hepburn, Clark Gable, and Billy Wilder are picks that would be great to make, I just... haven't seen enough of their stuff to truly feel like it would make sense for me to draft them. It'd feel like a pick made more on reputation rather than me being able to go "man, I loved ______ in ________ and ________."

Alright, anyway.

1699_large.jpg

Amy Ryan

I already really enjoyed everything I'd seen her in prior to this, and then I saw Gone Baby Gone the other night and was like "... oh wow, yeah, that's my next pick right there."

sjff_03_img1342.jpg

Takashi Shimura

Completing the Kurosawa/Mifune/Shimura trifecta at last.

Although it's also not good to like a movie just because it's a classic. "Nothing Sacred" is considered a classic and I thought it was complete shit. Still, yes, a lot of the time they're classics for a reason.

I thought the whole point of this was to draft actors and directors to make a movie with. Perhaps no one has an idea on how to use those actors. I know I personally wouldn't. I've never really got around to watching any of their films, sorry.

----

as for my next pick...

He's not black, he's not a classic... well outside of the '50s'... he's as white and as middle America as you can be...

RON HOWARD!

tn2_ron_howard_2.jpg

There was a great internal struggle as to if I cast him as an actor or director. Sadly, I couldn't think of any movies I'd be making where I'd need a goofy ginger kid, so Ron is cast as a Director.

I'm not even considering how to use my choices in a film together, but just from what I have so far, I think I could come up with something. It's better to be surprised.

Out of curiosity, what foreign and classic films have you watched, Exslade?

I'd say dismissing entire vast genres is ignorant.

Good point. Maybe I am, because off the top of my head I can't name any. And keep in mind I never said anything bad about the films/actors, I just said I didn't watch them. Nighthawk mentioned anime, I've got a lot of friends who are diehard anime fans, so there must be something good about the genre, but I'm not going to go out and rent Spirited Away. Maybe me knowing nothing about movies is why I can watch something shitty like 'Meet the Spartans' and not have a heart attack. :ph34r:

Anyways, to stay on a roll and supplement my Van Wilder pick, I'm going with the 40 Year Old Virgin.

vrgn3b.jpg

Steve Carell

edit- And I'll just point out I like mellows idea of having pictures of the cast in his post.

Steve Carell

edit- And I'll just point out I like mellows idea of having pictures of the cast in his post.

Thank you. I wanted to see how my talent would look next to each other. So far so good.

I was considering doing the same for my wrestling roster draft, but I don't quite have the time to track down, crop and post fifty pictures or so at once, so it'll probably never happen.

In my continued quest to make the SECOND most badass western in history. I have the most famous heroes and now, possibly, the greatest villain:

Once_Upon_A_Time_in_the_West_sm.jpg

Henry Fonda

Edited for accuracy. Sorry but my western is gonna smoke yours.