TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chaosrage

You know there's a hurricane out there

Anybody hear about that shit? It's only going to hit tomorrow as a Category 4 and likely to be worse than Katrina was.

Here's what everyone's favorite mayor, mayor Ray Nagin, has to say about it.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/20...on_ordered.html

Nagin orders evacuation of New Orleans

by Leslie Williams, The Times-Picayune

Saturday August 30, 2008, 8:21 PM

Warning that Hurricane Gustav is the "mother of all storms," Mayor Ray Nagin late Saturday ordered a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans' West Bank for 8 a.m. Sunday and the east bank for noon.

"We want 100 percent evacuation," Nagin said. "It has the potential to impact every area of this metropolitan."

Katrina had a footprint of about 400 miles, he said. Gustav is about 900 miles and growing, he said.

"This is worse than a Betsy, worse than a Katrina," Nagin said.

The mayor speculated that Gustav is so fierce that Baton Rouge likely will experience 100 mph winds.

"You need to be scared and you need to get your butts out of New Orleans right now," Nagin said.

Nagin said he expects Gustav to "punch holes in the Harvey Canal," which could cause the West Bank to become a bath tub.

The West Bank has 8-foot to 10-foot-high protection, he said. Gustav's storm surge may be 15 to as much as 24 feet high.

Anyone who opts to remain in New Orleans "will be on your own," Nagin warned, adding that services will not be available.

40558a703cd98b44683aff8xi6.gif

rgbxl2.jpg

NO is about to become fucked once again.

Atleast this year, everyone is moving out NOW. Not three days after the fact. Plus, they are smart and are going NORTH this year. Which is smart because this storm looks lik it is going to get larger and larger. Houston has said it is not opening up anything for the victims just in case Hanna turns into Rita of 05 and force another evac here. Smart thing this year, National guard is now station with m16s with orders to keep peace and prevent looting by any means.

Guest Vitamin X

You know there's a hurricane out there, when New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin is speaking the press, using weird grammar along the way.

"We want 100 percent evacuation," Nagin said. "It has the potential to impact every area of this metropolitan."

I can has metropolitan?

I can has metropolitan?

How do I evacuated city?

Interestingly enough, I had no idea I had cousins living in NO until Katrina happened. My mom's kept in touch with them through the years, and actually went down there before I was born in 1985. Hope they are all out of there, as I haven't talked to them so I have no idea where they have gone. I remember asking them to come up here for my 21st birthday since they've never met me, but they kinda scoffed at it. Bastards, but I still wish them no harm!

This one is George Bush's fault too, right?

;)

Poor NO. Either people have to get super serious about fixing the levy system, or we turn that area back into a wetlands buffer to protet the rest of the state and move the whole city north...

i said before katrina hit that there would be other storms. well, surprise surprise. they're not just going to start avoiding NO you know?

I said before Katrina hit that there would be other storms. Well, surprise surprise. They're not just going to start avoiding NO you know?

Now, now. We have a shift button for a reason.

I don't understand why anyone would stay this time. Bunch of idiots.

I figure I'm pretty under the radar around here the last few years, but just in case anyone ever noticed the location in my little profile to the left...well my hometown took a direct freaking hit.

I know we have one other poster here 'for sure' with family from there and I don't keep in touch with him, but yeah its not too good. I evacuated my mother and dogs to Memphis.

I work emergency services but was ordered to evacuate until Thursday so to "come pick up the pieces and relieve everyone" once the thing passes.

My dad had to stay behind, he too is "emergency services" in a different facet but administrative and had to stay. Anyway as soon as the winds stopped he drove to the house and our fence, $3000 new awning, and roof whirly bird (no idea the technical term) all blew away.

Anyway, we made out fine with Katrina and Rita....K to the right and R to the right. This, not so much.

Driving up listening to local radios through MS and TN all we heard was "well thank God New Orleans is ok" neverminding their thanking still has homes being devastated.

"Luckily" we didn't flood so far. There's still the tail end of the thing lashing home so we'll see.

Guess I'm just venting.

Well if any of you non cynics can throw a few prayers at my region, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure the lower areas of my community have got it worse than my fence, roof, and awning damage.

And Bob_Barron, you're right. We had 90% evacuation. I shake my head at those that didn't leave. But it's a different mentality down here with the old school. Some of these people were born "on the bayou" and plan to "die on the bayou" and nothing short physical force is going to get them to go.

My buddy that I do videos with at a local fire department in the lower area even said his department was leaving. When the fire department is leaving, you know mess is occurring.

Anyway I'll update you guys on local chatter if anyone cares and try to debunk any rumors and such.

-Hood

Guest Vitamin X

Hood, I feel for you man and I hope everything's going to be alright with you and your folks. I think I've been around close to Houma before. My car broke down one day down in this tiny town called Iowa, LA once while I was driving from California down to Miami and everyone was just so awesome and nice. They fixed my car for practically nothing-on their day off!-and hooked us up with some food and chatted with us for a long, long time. If there's one state in the South that I didn't wish would sink into oblivion, it's Louisiana, and of course knowing my luck that's the state that gets smacked around the most on the Gulf Coast.

As long as there's no nasty flooding or your house didn't get destroyed, let's hope everything's alright. I've spent actually a lot of time in Baton Rouge and I have some friends that live down in NO, so I'm hoping they're doing alright as well. One thing that's pissing me off about these newscasts is how they love to emphasize that there's still opportunity for disaster. Live, when Katrina hit, they were all saying "BUT THE WEST SIDE OF THE STORM IS THE WETTEST!" and now that Gustav veered far to the west of NO, they're emphasizing how the east side is where all the wind is.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I had a great shrimp po'boy in Houma! I was the only white guy in the place. That's something I have an incredible knack for when eating at local joints on the road.

Something I thought of when I went down there for the party: all along the lake as I went into NO on that big causeway (I-10? No. The North-South interstate. Help me out.) there were these, what I assumed to be fishing huts. Ramshackle buildings and shit with pontoons and rowboats in front of them. Do these things get torn to pieces and strewn all over creation every single year? Because I saw hundreds of those damn things. Talk about a mess.

Completely selfish, but I'm afraid to go to work tonight. I work in a factory that makes generators and we were working 7 12-hour days for a week for about 2 months after Katrina.

Thanks Guys.

"The Causeway" I've traveled once and for the life of me I can't remember the I-#. Tzar, its amazing what survives these storms and what doesn't. My family home was built in 59 by my relatives and has withstood all storms since and has never flooded. Its now kept up by my parents and they've been sinking thousands of dollars in renovations and cosmetic advances (like the awning). The people next door flood all the time and live off the government. Well I mentioned the damage to my house. My leeching neighbors, nothing. Maybe some lawn chairs (they considerately didn't pick up anything before evacuating).

My dad's sheds seem to survive all the madness everytime too. It's so weird how a place not far from where we live gets devastated and then his hand made shed of plywood and cinder blocks remains.

Hard to make sense of it all. I wouldn't buy a camp around the coast, that is for sure.

I guess you can get hit over and over by storms and nothing happens but it just takes one.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Oh, I'm no stranger to insane weather. This is the dumpster at the end of tornado alley.

Completely selfish, but I'm afraid to go to work tonight. I work in a factory that makes generators and we were working 7 12-hour days for a week for about 2 months after Katrina.

Tell me about it. The warehouse I work in carries nonperishables and pharmaceuticals.

Greater Houston area is going to need it. Good news is that they are getting all "special needs" and "coastal towns" to evac right now and moving to Dallas where it will be safer. And counter flowing some highways to not having a Rita like problem. But they are telling most to "hunker down" so is not to be in a dangerous area when Ike comes to shore.