TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chaosrage

You know there's a hurricane out there

Guest Vitamin X

I love that I made this comment just a couple weeks ago.

Eh, all it'll take is one good hurricane to smack Houston around, then we can rebuild!

This storm is bad enough to fix the bay, but nowhere near the level to redo the whole city. And, I fucking hate my job. I am required to go to work at the store I work at because our District Manager thinks Auto-Parts is on the same level as fucking Fire Departments and EMTs. I am required to be at work at 6 AM during one of the worst parts of the storm or I might be fired. Needless to say this is one of my last weeks here

Guest Vitamin X
This storm is bad enough to fix the bay, but nowhere near the level to redo the whole city. And, I fucking hate my job. I am required to go to work at the store I work at because our District Manager thinks Auto-Parts is on the same level as fucking Fire Departments and EMTs. I am required to be at work at 6 AM during one of the worst parts of the storm or I might be fired. Needless to say this is one of my last weeks here

Yeah if I were you I would tell that guy he could go fuck himself and if he doesn't like it, you can cite safety concerns and report that to the higher ups. District Managers are such a fucking clueless bunch, aren't they?

He did and apparently they are not happy....oh well too fucking bad. The clouds are rolling in now and the winds are starting to pick up. It's like a ghost town around here, grocery stores closed at 2PM, plywood across the windows in some places. Good thing we have cable because it gets boring hearing the news team all the time. It's all Ike all the time

This storm has Cat 4 storm surge with Cat 2 winds. So, seriously folks...say a quick prayer for the folks who live on or near Galveston. There's a very, very good chance they're going to get wiped as it currently stands.

While certainly not as bad as what's going on down in Texas, we're having flooding problems here in Wichita with the worst rainstorm we've had in ten years. Not quite as bad as what hit Illinois and Indiana in June, but still pretty bad in some places with streets underwater. My parents place is allright since they're on a hill (we have those here, you know) and for the most part my place is allright as well

Oh yeah, we still potentially have Ike's sloppy seconds coming up this way in a couple days too, so we'll have to see about that

The wind is picking up now, no rain from the bands yet. We parked the car further away than normal but out of the way of most of the big trees. Galveston is already fucked most of the West is flooded just by the waves. It started raining there aout an hour ago but most of the places were already well under water. I'm sure we will loose power sometime in the middle of the night, if we don't we are lucky.

Yeah, cause I think the most important thing right now in Houston is how to spell lose.

This Tyra Banks gimmick is terrible.

It just amazes me that people on this board can't spell a simple word like lose. How stupid are you people?

Yeah, cause I think the most important thing right now in Houston is how to spell lose.

This Tyra Banks gimmick is terrible.

It just amazes me that people on this board can't spell a simple word like lose. How stupid are you people?

angry-woman-rolling_~15477-18dg.jpg

Well, I'd just like to announce that Hurricane Ike was about as much fun as getting kicked in the crotch. Repeatedly. No power from 7PM Friday night (before the storm even really got serious) and just got it back at about 1:30 today. Temperatures in the 90's until the cold front hit and made it bearable. No running water. Food going bad. No looting though, so at least we had that. But hey, at lest I've got power back, none of that 2-4 weeks bullshit they were throwing out there as a worst case scenario.

Guest Vitamin X

You pussies. When Wilma hit Miami in 2005, some people were knocked out of power for over a month, some almost 2 months. And no traffic lights were working, gas stations were sold out and grocery stores were afraid of looting (this was just a couple months after Katrina)/couldn't open.

And it gets way more hot and humid there, too. How's the destruction there?

You pussies. When Wilma hit Miami in 2005, some people were knocked out of power for over a month, some almost 2 months. And no traffic lights were working, gas stations were sold out and grocery stores were afraid of looting (this was just a couple months after Katrina)/couldn't open.

And it gets way more hot and humid there, too. How's the destruction there?

You're right. I should just tell my disabled mother who had to stay here because she had no place else to stay that she should just man up and stop complaining because she couldn't cook, wash, or keep herself cool besides fanning herself with a magazine. God, what a wimp.

By the way, we're some of the lucky ones who managed to get power. The apartment complexes down the street are still in the dark. 90% of the lights are still out in our neighborhood. The local gas station, when it has gas, has a line at least a block long. Trees are blocking several of the streets around here, and several roofs now have brand new skylights. Much of Galveston, Kemah, and Crystal Beach are pretty much total losses. Pretty much a fucked up situation.

Still no power for us. Haven't even seen any utility trucks in the area. I'm only able to post now because I came back to work today and am on my laptop.

With the cool front, it's really not so bad. The lack of a refrigerator is kind of getting old and it's a little boring during the day with pretty much nothing to do and nowhere to go, but it's certainly livable. The lack of gas is going to be a serious problem in a few more days, especially in this car-centric city.

When hurricane blew through our neck of the woods a few years back and knocked out the transformer right in front of our house, we had to wait a week to get power back.

We did a LOOOOOOOOT of drinking :)

I'll echo CV's thoughts..

I live like, five minutes walking distance from Reliant Stadium. I lost power officially at around 1-2am in the morning..around 8am I got my power back as I live close to the Medical Center and at the time my power did come back, it was only there and Downtown with power.

My folks are still without power but they've got a gas grill so they've been able to eat and such.

News just confirmed 20 deaths in Galveston and Brazos counties.

PS: CV, where in Houston do you live, if ya don't mind my asking...

We finally got power restored yesterday (Spring area)...5 days without power (Friday night/Saturday morning at 2am to Wednesday 2pm) Lots of trees down in the area, nothing hit us though. I know a know a few people who weren't so lucky...trees in houses, flood damage. We did lots of walking and looking at area and the distruction was pretty bad. Power still isn't close to being restored, they are sending power trucks to restore power in Galveston (a place that they have deemed as inhabitable). Why they are sending power trucks to fully restore an island that no one can live in is beyond me.

My parents are in the Woodlands and they are still without power. The have gas stoves and a gas outdoor kitchen so they are fine for now.

It felt nice to eat a hot meal that wasn't cooked indirectly on a grill and a cold drink last night for dinner.

EDIT: And if you hadn't seen this footage, it's another shining moment in the life and times of Geraldo Rivera; because it's not news unless Geraldo reports it

Everyone I know is safe. But right now most of my area is completely in the dark. My job is still out of power and I heard it won't be back until Wednesday at the earliest. There was a fire at an H-E-B grocery store near my job as their main generator exploded. I find it hard to call 911 on a cell phone when every agency is over flooded with calls.

BTW: I stuck my foot down for Saturday and we were closed. Even though there were 90+ mph winds and flooding half their area near by.

The lights came back on yesterday after 12 days. As much as I want to complain about how long it took, I'll refrain since I was incredibly lucky. My house suffered no major damage and I had family to stay with that had power, so I only had to deal with no electricity for a day and a half (which felt a lot longer.)

The lights came back on yesterday after 12 days.

You're a lucky man. We're in the "by Sunday" group, but they're now saying that "by Sunday" means all the lines will be repaired, not necessarily that we'll have power.