TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aero

The Shield

Walton Goggins already has another job.

Pilots: AMC Locks Up 'Shield' Star

That certainly sounds interesting. I'll have to give that show a look. After seeing Walton play Shane for the past 7 years, it's going to be odd to see him in another role. It's kind of like watching him in 'House of 1000 Corpses', and seeing him just sit there and let Otis blow his head off. It's such an 'out of character' moment to see him sit there in a helpless position.

I feel asleep during that scene, it went on for days. Dunno if it was supposed to be "arty" or "powerful" or what

I just want to thank yesterday's Wrestling Observer news update for fucking ruining Shane's ending. Anyway, it was enjoyable nonetheless and I can't express enough how much it sucks that this show is done. Probably my favorite series ever.

I wonder how many people who thought Terry should of died for being a snitch will think the same for Vic?

Ronnie CAN fuck countless people over on his way down (and would probably be helped by Claudette and Dutch, both of which are too honest to bend over for the LAPD/ICE and lie to cover up Vic's crap) and possibly swing himself a sweetheart of a deal so that he's out in three years, enough time for him to come up with his own revenge plan to destroy Vic's children, Corrine, and Danny.

As for credibility, given what happened to Lem and Shane and Vic's own double-crossing of Ronnie, I don't think anyone would question Ronnie's credibility is exposing the corruption of Vic Mackey, the Strike Team, and their enablers. If anything, in the event he was tossed to the wolves as far as being sent away for life (perhaps in a "agree to life with no parole, or go to trial and get the death penalty" bit of cohercement from the DA) he could make the case that his imprisonment for life was done SPECIFICALLY to bury him and keep him from telling the truth about the corruption inside the LAPD that he was a part of, and of Vic Mackey's crimes and his escaping punishment via the government giving him immunity.

Hell, this alone makes me wish to god we get a "The Shield" movie since Shawn Ryan could get a great story out of Vic Mackey versus Ronnie Gardocki, on a murderous rampage to end all murderous rampages to destroy everyone Vic ever loved. You don't even need to go heavy into the show's backstory either, to sell it to non-fans of the show:

Vic is a corrupt ex-cop who years earlier sold out his partner to the Feds for immunity and a chance to go from a lowly city cop to an undercover detective for the FBI. Ronnie, the shy yet loyal partner who's hero worship of Vic led him down the path of corruption, was sent to jail and martyred in Vic's place. While Ronnie rotted away in prison, where he was raped and abused and dreamed of revenge, Vic ended up being bounced from ICE after a couple of years due to the fact that his new bosses were appalled when they found out how corrupt he was and how he hornswaggled them into hiring him.

Now years have passed and Ronnie has gotten out of jail and wants revenge against Vic for betraying him. And does he ever as far as Ronnie murdering Vic's estranged ex-wife and the three children he had with her and going after Vic's former girlfriend Danny (who's son by Vic is now being raised by Danny and her husband, the by-the-books detective Dutch Wagenbach) and Vic's new girlfriend. Which in turn causes Vic to take matters into his own hands as far as hunting Ronnie down himself and the cat and mouse game that ensues as the two men go after each other while Dutch tries to find Ronnie before he can kill Danny and his adopted son, as LA Mayor, Senate hopeful and former police Captain David Acaveda and LAPD Police Captain Claudette Wyms, struggle over the public relations nightmare that would happen if the motive behind Ronnie's rampage and Vic's crimes became public knowledge.

Ronnie is never ever ever ever getting out of jail. They won't be able to get Vic, so they will get the next best thing.

I just don't think whatever he says, will get him out of jail. He's fucked for life.

What would Ronnie get life for?

Aiding and abetting? Armed robbery? He had no direct knowledge of Terry's murder and he isn't as well-known as a shady cop as Vic and Shane were. I doubt he'll get life. He'll probably cut a deal and serve 10 years (that way it goes away fast and the department avoids the bad publicity). The only thing that could really get him life is killing Zadofian, the Armenian at the start of season 7.

Here's something someone on another board that makes sense:

"All they've got Ronnie on is the aiding and abetting/conspiracy involving Shane, and that's because they have is the testimony of Claudette/Dutch etc who saw him make the drop and can explain their sting operation. Vic's statement is completely inadmissible hearsay (even assuming the Feds would let the local prosecutors use it, which given the egg on their faces they certainly would not).

As for all the other possible charges, like everyone's been saying, they really have nothing on him. They're going to charge him with covering up a cop killing which the feds now actively have to cover up? Unlikely.

Throw in the politics as the OP pointed out, and I could even see this turning into a very quiet plea deal and a long house arrest. Obviously his pension and job are finished, but he may not even end up in Antwon Mitchellville. "

I just don't know about him not getting much time. Sometimes, the DA likes to make an example out of someone and show if you fuck up, this is what could happen to you. For example, about 6 years ago my friend got arrested for selling weed to an undercover cop at UConn. I guess they caught him selling 5 times. Well someone told him (if it were the judge, his lawyer or the DA, I'm not sure) if he did this in Hartford or Bridgeport, they would have given him a slap on the wrist. Since he was doing it at UConn and they wanted to make an example out of him, so they sent him away for a year.

I think the same thing would happen to Ronnie. And ESPECIALLY since they couldn't get the big guy, they would put him away for a good amount of time.

But then again, they might not have enough on him. That poster might be right; the Feds won't want to show how bad they fucked up with Vic.

Also, would the LAPD WANT another corrupt cop poster child after Gilroy and Lem? Ronnie would be proof that the LAPD hasn't been able to stop the problem that was originally exposed.

Bingo. They can't prosecute Ronnie without exposing EVERYTHING the Strike Team did and how Vic, the worst of the worst, conned the system to get full immunity for the worst of his sins. They can't even make an example out of Ronnie without exposing how Vic skated on EVERYTHING, which would defeat the purpose of scapegoating Ronnie since more people would take one look at Vic and ask how a monster like him could get away with what he did.

And with Acaveda about to become mayor, you think he'll want Ronnie exposing how he enabled Vic and the Strike Team, let alone continued to associate with a man who he KNEW was a sociopathic murderer who killed the friend he recruited to bring Vic down?

He'll be offered a plea bargin for three-five years for obstruction of justice, given protective custody/put in a prison far away from people like Antwon Mitchell, and in return will be told to stay quiet about the Strike Team's crimes in exchange for not being prosecuted for his involvement in the crimes of the Strike Team.

That certainly sounds interesting. I'll have to give that show a look. After seeing Walton play Shane for the past 7 years, it's going to be odd to see him in another role. It's kind of like watching him in 'House of 1000 Corpses', and seeing him just sit there and let Otis blow his head off. It's such an 'out of character' moment to see him sit there in a helpless position.

In a way, I still think of Walt as "That Guy" from "In the Heat of the Night", a show where Walt appeared in multiple episodes in different roles (often in generic henchman roles, but most notably as an emotionally troubled man who kills his cheating girlfriend's lover and then kills himself via a shotgun blast in the face in front of one of the main characters while standing over his beloved dead mother's grave). And while Ryan is crediting Chris Benoit's suicide as the inspiration for the final fate of Shane, I have to wonder in a way, if the above mentioned episode of ITHOTN also might have influenced it (especially since Walt's portrayal of Shane echoed his performance in said episode of ITHOTN, as far as portraying Shane as a haunted man, driven by demons that go well beyond his friendship with Vic).