TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2008

Speaking of former ECW Champions, doesn't Shane Douglas work at a Target somewhere?

He's a Store Assistant Manager, and makes roughly 40-60 K a year without a bump taken. Not too bad.

Depending on geographic location and cost of living, not too shabby at all.

WWE.com announced Michelle vs. Maryse for the Divas title at Unforgiven. Yikes.

I hope it's the opener, but WWE for some reason likes to put a women's match (even if it looks bad) right after a world title match.

A bad opener sets a bad tempo.

Oh, true. Still a joke to have it after a big world title match though. I just want that match out of the way as soon as possible or not on the show at all.

I have a feeling that the Smackdown scramble match will open the PPV to try and get the crowd hot for the rest of the show. Throw in some highspots with Hardy, Kendrick, Shelton and then have HHH throw some pedigrees in and you have a hot crowd to start the show.

It'd probably be the ECW title opening the show up. The woman's match would probably be after Y2J vs HBK.

I'm wondering if theywant MVP to study Shelton in the form of someone that has gone from seemingly not caring in the ring at times, to someone that is on fire. Not saying that MVP isn't doing a good job, but that might be the mentality.

It'd probably be the ECW title opening the show up. The woman's match would probably be after Y2J vs HBK.

Given the long quality build for Jericho and Shawn, it really feels like it should be the main event show closer and not a mid-card placement between the SDScramble and a woman's title match.

Given the long quality build for Jericho and Shawn, it really feels like it should be the main event show closer and not a mid-card placement between the SDScramble and a woman's title match.

I agree. Except now Shawn's injured, they're going to have to legislate for that. I can't see them putting a less than 100% Shawn in the main-event, especially since now they might have to trim some time to spare Shawn some pain and/or change up the finish a little.

Raw Scramble'll get the main-event. Cody/DiBiase vs. Cryme Tyme to open.

I was about to write the same thing. HBK-Y2J is the obvious MOTN and is going to have WAY more heat than any of the Scrambles, which have the potential to be heatless clusterfucks (or gimmick might work, I'll reserve judgment). This is the first time a non-title match has had a real main event feel in years.

"- WWE.com has a story up on Shawn Michaels "injuring his left tricep" during the final segment of RAW, but that he will wrestle at Unforgiven on Sunday anyway. If Michaels needs surgey, which some think he will, he will be out for 4-6 months after Unforgiven. [PWInsider.com]." Via 411

If this is legit, it looks like Jericho can go over, and have HBK win the big blow off match at WM.

Has anyone else realized that Unforgiven won't be featuring John Cena, Randy Orton, Edge, OR Undertaker? That's just crazy to think about.

I'd be willing to venture that 'Taker plays a part on the PPV in some fashion.

It's a good sign for the future if WWE can put on a good show and showcase new main eventers without using those 4 guys. This youth movement in WWE may be laying the framework for the company's future into the 2010s.

It's a good sign for the future if WWE can put on a good show and showcase new main eventers without using those 4 guys. This youth movement in WWE may be laying the framework for the company's future into the 2010s.

The show still has long standing main eventers like Triple H, Kane, Jericho, Shawn, Batista and Mysterio on this show and heavily featured at that. Not that isn't a good sign that names like Punk, MVP and Hardy are getting momentary bumps to the main event scene, that doesn't automatically declare a youth movement for the company just yet.

You need to be able to let the crowd come down before taking them back up again. If you put all the "big" matches at the end of the show...the crowd is burned out for the finish.

Not that I really disagree with the logic (I do think there's a point where if too much big stuff mashed in together, things start to lose impact), has there ever been a good example of a crowd flat out burning out due to the match arrangement? A lot of people cite Rock/Hogan from WM18 as the reason the crowd was dead for the HHH/Jericho, but the match they were dead for also happened to be possibly the worst built title match in history.

To me, people seemed to completely not care about the Lesnar/Angle match from WrestleMania XIX after both the Hogan/McMahon and Rock/Austin matches happened.

That's one of the great examples of piss-poor booking and hype. It took a total backseat to three matches (Austin-Rock III, Hogan-McMahon and to an extent, Booker-HHH, maybe even Shawn-Jericho depending on how you look at it). That was very bad PPV in terms of pacing as the five big matches went consecutively and should've been broken apart better.

To me, people seemed to completely not care about the Lesnar/Angle match from WrestleMania XIX after both the Hogan/McMahon and Rock/Austin matches happened.

That's one of the great examples of piss-poor booking and hype. It took a total backseat to three matches (Austin-Rock III, Hogan-McMahon and to an extent, Booker-HHH, maybe even Shawn-Jericho depending on how you look at it). That was very bad PPV in terms of pacing as the five big matches went consecutively and should've been broken apart better.

Technically, weren't two of the big matches broken up by that Pillow-Fight or whatever that segment was with the Miller Lite Cat-Fight Girls?

...yeah, it's not much of a break, and is better forgotten, but still.

I have always found WM XIX a bit lackluster. There's some solid action on it, but nothing on it stood out as anything overly important. All of it seemed like some sort of foregone conclusion: Brock obviously was going to wax Angle, Hogan of course would smash Vince, Jericho would be jobbed out to Michaels, and once Booker beat HHH on Raw I knew he was jobbing at the PPV. I guess there was some doubt about Austin/Rock but it was the third time we'd seen that match at WM, so it felt a bit stale.

Is Chuck Palumbo still employed? I didn't see his name among those that were recently cut, yet he hasn't appeared on Raw since he was taken in the supplemental draft over 2 months ago. If he is still with the company, I'll be waiting for him to foil Jaime Noble's romance with Layla the way Noble ruined Palumbo's relationship with McCool on SD.

A couple of interesting notes from a Court Bauer interview on the latest F4 Daily:

A proposed heel turn for Christ Benoit in 2005 was shot down by Vince, vigorously, who said it would be the hardest turn he'd have to get over, and the fans would never boo Benoit in a million years. Vince apparently felt that Benoit was a 'meat and potatoes' babyface and was too respected by the fans to be hated.

At the Summerslam 2006, an idea was pitched for Fit Finlay to have a falls count anywhere type match with someone, possibly Bobby Lashley, that would wind up spilling out into the streets. The discussion eventually evolved turning Finlay face and also putting the World title on him at the event. For two hours, it was very close to happening. With Summerslam being in Boston that year, an Irish babyface winning the World title would have been huge.