TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2008

I always liked Scotty, but I was never a fan of Christopher or Rikishi, but they were good workers. I still remember the match Scotty had with Melenko for the Light Heavyweight title. I don't remember the PPV, but I remember the match was awesome. IIRC, Scotty won with a DDT off the top rope or something of that nature.

Backlash 2000. And it was actually the other way around, Malenko via top rope DDT. One of the few highpoints of the LHV Title's worthless existance.

Yep, The WWF Light Heavyweight title is up there with the WCW Hardcore title for the position as "Most Useless Title of All Time". Unlike the latter, the Light Heavyweight title did have some potential. They just picked the wrong guy to showcase (Should have been Great Sasuke instead of Taka). Though I guess according to wikipedia (reliable source, I know), WWE fired Sasuke after he bragged about how he would only defend the title in Japan and wouldn't drop it on WWE TV. Whoops. It didn't help that WWE would seemingly forget about the title for months on end.

I never got the push for Taka to be honest. He wasn't anywhere near the guys WCW had at the time and the WWF built the light heavyweight division around him and Brian Christopher? I even like Grandmaster but his wrestling style is more the Memphis schtick and certainly not anything resembling a cruiser.

I never got the push for Taka to be honest. He wasn't anywhere near the guys WCW had at the time and the WWF built the light heavyweight division around him and Brian Christopher? I even like Grandmaster but his wrestling style is more the Memphis schtick and certainly not anything resembling a cruiser.

How exactly should a cruiser wrestle?

I really like Taka too but he didn't really have the charisma to justify having a division built around him. He'd have been better as the #2 face in the light heavyweight division.

And I hate to agree with cabbage but he's right about the Memphis schtick. I guess it could work well in a light heavyweight division (Hell, look at Disco Inferno's forays into the cruiserweight division in WCW are evidence) but it only works if you have a fiery, pissed off guy to play off Memphis heel schtick and Taka couldn't really do that.

I really like Taka too but he didn't really have the charisma to justify having a division built around him. He'd have been better as the #2 face in the light heavyweight division.

He was a fine guy to build a division around, he just didn't have the guys to work with.

If he was working with the cruisers that WCW had at the time, he would've been fine.

You make a fine point, Truthiness. After Taka and Christopher, who the hell did they have? Sure you had Tajiri, Super Crazy, and the aforementioned Great Sasuke among others dropping in for a bit but for regulars, I think it was just those two, Scott Taylor, and Mr. Aguila in the first six months or so.

It's interesting to watch the LHW Division's origins on Raw on 24/7 because they'd have guys like El Pantera do a completely different style of match than anything on the show, be awesome, then never be seen again.

There was some new topic here about some possible subliminal message at the start of ECW, I was too late to post before it got deleted :( . It was on my dvr too so it's probably not some local thing.

At the start of ECW there was a few frames of "Listen." followed by some buzzing.

Worth mentioning at least, maybe it will build over a few weeks ala Jericho's longer and longer hints about his return. Maybe they are trying out what TNA is doing.

Or maybe it's nothing.

You make a fine point, Truthiness. After Taka and Christopher, who the hell did they have? Sure you had Tajiri, Super Crazy, and the aforementioned Great Sasuke among others dropping in for a bit but for regulars, I think it was just those two, Scott Taylor, and Mr. Aguila in the first six months or so.

There was Scott Putski.

There was some new topic here about some possible subliminal message at the start of ECW, I was too late to post before it got deleted :( . It was on my dvr too so it's probably not some local thing.

At the start of ECW there was a few frames of "Listen." followed by some buzzing.

Worth mentioning at least, maybe it will build over a few weeks ala Jericho's longer and longer hints about his return. Maybe they are trying out what TNA is doing.

Or maybe it's nothing.

^I'm probably thinking too hard about this.

Yeah, I also couldn't resist that but for some reason I thought I had the line wrong and edited it out of my post.

Has anyone accused Haas of being the dude pretending to be the dude that's pretending to be the other dude yet?

i read in the WON thread about maybe a christian return...... i am alllllllll for that.

an edge vs. christian feud for a title... oh man. GOLD. GOLD I SAY!

Lushus, have you seen Tropic Thunder?

My point about Brian Christopher is this: At the same time in 1997 WCW had all these high impact, exciting cruiserweight matches. Meanwhile the WWF tried to counter it by having BC out there doing his silly hyena laughing, adequate moves, and Memphis stalling. It's just not what people were willing to accept from cruiserweights.

Here's the litmus test with Taka. Where would he have been in WCW's much better cruiser division? I don't think they even consider putting the belt on him. He would have been like Tokyo Magnum or someone. Can anyone seriously put Taka up there with Rey, Eddie, Malenko, Juvi, etc.? He's not even on someone like Blitzkrieg's level. I recall when Taka had a brief stint in ECW circa 1999 and the thing that came to mind was how much better guys like Tajiri and Super Crazy were.

I haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure Robert Downey throws out a loud "HUH?" at the end of that exchange, based on the hundreds of times I've seen the preview...no?

My point about Brian Christopher is this: At the same time in 1997 WCW had all these high impact, exciting cruiserweight matches. Meanwhile the WWF tried to counter it by having BC out there doing his silly hyena laughing, adequate moves, and Memphis stalling. It's just not what people were willing to accept from cruiserweights.

Here's the litmus test with Taka. Where would he have been in WCW's much better cruiser division? I don't think they even consider putting the belt on him. He would have been like Tokyo Magnum or someone. Can anyone seriously put Taka up there with Rey, Eddie, Malenko, Juvi, etc.? He's not even on someone like Blitzkrieg's level. I recall when Taka had a brief stint in ECW circa 1999 and the thing that came to mind was how much better guys like Tajiri and Super Crazy were.

There aren’t 10 wrestlers in history better than Eddie and Mysterio in my opinion.

To say Tajiri, Super Crazy, and Blitzkrieg of all people was better than Taka isn't accurate at all.

If Disco got over in the CW division, I'm sure Christopher could've got over, seeing as he was ten times better than Disco. He was a pretty good high flyer, could work the mat, and was an awesome brawler. He also knew how to draw heat before the bell even ringed, the guy had tons of potential and could've easily fit in any division he was put in nevertheless, he was a junkie that never lived up to his potential.