TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2008

Despite the black eye he received during an altercation over the weekend, things will go ahead as planned for Ric Flair to record his shoot interview DVD with Highspots.com today. The bidding war for the Flair shoot interview apparently topped off at $50,000. Most feel the investment will be worth it, as the recent Scott Hall & Kevin Nash DVD grossed over $50,000.

You make a fine point, Truthiness. After Taka and Christopher, who the hell did they have? Sure you had Tajiri, Super Crazy, and the aforementioned Great Sasuke among others dropping in for a bit but for regulars, I think it was just those two, Scott Taylor, and Mr. Aguila in the first six months or so.

None of those guys were around for TAKA's reign. And Vince was never really behind the Light Heavyweight Division anyways. I'm amazed that the belt was around until 2001. And that they kept the Cruiserweight Championship until last year.

I remember on Saturday Shotgun once he teamed with Val Venis, dressed as Val Venis. Except he forgot to wear tights under the towel, so the first half of the match was a handicap match with just Val while Stevie went to the back to get tights. I was greatly amused.

You make a fine point, Truthiness. After Taka and Christopher, who the hell did they have? Sure you had Tajiri, Super Crazy, and the aforementioned Great Sasuke among others dropping in for a bit but for regulars, I think it was just those two, Scott Taylor, and Mr. Aguila in the first six months or so.

None of those guys were around for TAKA's reign. And Vince was never really behind the Light Heavyweight Division anyways. I'm amazed that the belt was around until 2001. And that they kept the Cruiserweight Championship until last year.

Actually, I'm pretty sure all of those guys came in for atleast 1 or 2 matches (more in the case of Sasuke) when they were re-establishing the Light Heavyweight title in early-mid 1997.

Big Show's impersonation of Hogan at Backlash 2000 was great as well.

Pity they couldn't keep him something like that (big friendly giant who likes to have fun until someone makes him mad) now, instead of turning him heel yet again.

Pity they couldn't keep him something like that (big friendly giant who likes to have fun until someone makes him mad) now, instead of turning him heel yet again.

WWE wants Big Show to break Luger's streak of having the most face and heel turns.

Actually, I'm pretty sure all of those guys came in for atleast 1 or 2 matches (more in the case of Sasuke) when they were re-establishing the Light Heavyweight title in early-mid 1997.

The operative words were TAKA's reign. He had zero realistic challengers, which is why the division failed early on.

I wasn't talking about Taka's reign in particular. I was talking more about the first few months of the division. And I did say they were only around for an appearance or two (Sasuke might have lasted a tad bit longer- like a month or two). But yeah, everything else is right. Even as a mark, I always that the only reason Vince started a light heavyweight division was because he felt obligated because the cruiserweight divison in WCW was so successful.

Even as a mark, I always that the only reason Vince started a light heavyweight division was because he felt obligated because the cruiserweight divison in WCW was so successful.

I was excited about it too, but it was clear, early on, that Vince couldn't compete. The best luchadors, with few exceptions, had already jumped to Promo Azteca. WWF could never offer them what WCW did. The writing was on the wall before the belt was around anybody's waist.

I remember on Saturday Shotgun once he teamed with Val Venis, dressed as Val Venis. Except he forgot to wear tights under the towel, so the first half of the match was a handicap match with just Val while Stevie went to the back to get tights. I was greatly amused.

There was another Shotgun Saturday match that I remember liking:

Steve Blackman vs. Stevie Richards. Richards was dressed as Blackman. This was a few weeks after he worked with Foley while dressed as Dude Love.

Mid Match, the Blue Meanie comes out...dressed as Dude Love.

Just seemed funny to me.

One time on SD, Benjamin and Haas dressed up like the APA. I thought it was a funny segment.

Hector Garza FTW.

Again, even as a mark, I could tell that the luchadors in the six man tag at Royal Rumble '97 were guys that clearly weren't good enough or were too old for WCW's cruiserweight division. Yet they gave that match a good ten or so minutes. I know it was in Texas but yeesh...

Hector Garza FTW.

Again, even as a mark, I could tell that the luchadors in the six man tag at Royal Rumble '97 were guys that clearly weren't good enough or were too old for WCW's cruiserweight division. Yet they gave that match a good ten or so minutes. I know it was in Texas but yeesh..

They totally let Garza slip through the cracks too. I remember when he showed up in WCW a few months later for that awesome six-man match.

Hector Garza FTW.

Again, even as a mark, I could tell that the luchadors in the six man tag at Royal Rumble '97 were guys that clearly weren't good enough or were too old for WCW's cruiserweight division. Yet they gave that match a good ten or so minutes. I know it was in Texas but yeesh...

That match is hilarious to watch because of how dead the crowd is. At points, the guys seem to be trying anything to get people into the match, including the guy Heavy Metal randomly yelling, "Heavy Metal LOVES the USA!"

MTV is using Tajiri's old WWE theme music. They've used it twice that I know of, one for their show "Next" and for the show "Parental Control"....I mark out a bit everytime I hear the chime.

Steve Blackman vs. Stevie Richards. Richards was dressed as Blackman. This was a few weeks after he worked with Foley while dressed as Dude Love.

Just seemed funny to me.

I always thought the bWo guys each dressing like a different Foley character would've been amusing.

Hector Garza FTW.

That match is hilarious to watch because of how dead the crowd is. At points, the guys seem to be trying anything to get people into the match, including the guy Heavy Metal randomly yelling, "Heavy Metal LOVES the USA!"

It didn't help that WWF shut the giant video screens above the ring in an effort to make sure that the crowd wouldn't get too into the match.

Just seemed funny to me.

I always thought the bWo guys each dressing like a different Foley character would've been amusing.

Who would be who?