TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2008

Completely unrelated Hector Garza note but according to his wikipedia article, he tore his scrotum during a match with Psychosis on an episode of Thunder in February '99. Even if that isn't true- that's funny. And if it is- that is hardcore. Mick Foley and Terry Funk have had a shitload of injuries but have ever tore their scrotums?

http://www.puroresufan.com/

Naofumi Yamamoto leaves New Japan, joins WWE by Stuart - 12 Sep 2008

yamamoto091208.jpg

Since November 12th, 2007, Naofumi Yamamoto has been away from New Japan on a learning excursion overseas. He's spent much of his time in FCW in Florida, a WWE "farm" base. Yamamoto returned to New Japan offices today to announce that he was leaving New Japan Pro-Wrestling to formally joined Vince McMahon's WWE. Yamamoto said he had actually left in February after not having a new contract, then passed an official WWE tryout in April. Yamamoto was thinking of returning, but then saw Nakamura defeat Kurt Angle in February, and knew he wouldn't be able to return until he reached Nakamura's level anyway. Yamamoto said he would start from the bottom in WWE, he knew, but his target was to fight on a Wrestlemania show. Yamamoto says he has no regrets in Japan, and hopes to make WWE his final home, as it is the biggest promotion in the world. Yamamoto spoke about Goto's G1 Climax victory and smiled bitterly as he recalled his first G1 in 2006, where he lost every match. His style in the United States is going to to be fundementally the same - black shorts, black shin guards, and a kick-based offense.

President Sugabayashi wished Yamamoto luck in America and told him he will always be welcome back in New Japan if he decides to return to Japanese wrestling. As one of the gifted class of 2002 - featuring Nakamura, Goto, and Taguchi - he has finally made it somewhere after a sluggish spell, and looks to conquer the peak of American professional wrestling. Yamamoto said that he would prove the strength and ability of New Japan Pro-Wrestling to the world, and apologized to fans because he would not be returning to New Japan, but asked for their support in this new phase of his career.

Naofumi Yamamoto is an interesting signing. I wonder if Vince actually has a plan for him or if he is just gonna be a random Japanese jobber. Hope he gets a chance to prove himself as his stuff that I saw towards the end of his NJPW run was starting to get fairly entertaining.

Yamamoto isn't too too bad. He certainly is the "hoss" of his graduating class, that's for sure. That said, I bet he gets the Kenzo Suzuki treatment in WWE.

Japan isn't all about serious wrestling. Watch HUSTLE sometime. :P

I get what you're saying though. That said, is WWE really the biggest promotion in the world? Or just the one that makes the most coin?

Japan isn't all about serious wrestling. Watch HUSTLE sometime. :P

I get what you're saying though. That said, is WWE really the biggest promotion in the world? Or just the one that makes the most coin?

WWE travels globally. Japanese wrestling promotions don't. Therefore, WWE is the biggest promotion. Period.

I think they decided to go with Yamamoto over Morishima & Shiozaki so they can mold him however they like.

From what I've been told, the guy is a pretty decent worker, for some of his best matches, look up the short fued he had with Zero-One MAX's Ryuji Sai.

Oh? Where and when's the next NOAH show in USA?

The USA ain't the only country in the world, son. They just finished a tour of the UK not too long ago.

Are you looking for an internet argument or something? ...because you sure are doing your best to sound like a prick.

Oh? Where and when's the next NOAH show in USA?

The USA ain't the only country in the world, son. They just finished a tour of the UK not too long ago.

Are you looking for an internet argument or something? ...because you sure are doing your best to sound like a prick.

No. I want to go to a NOAH show and hoped it'd go to USA, my country, where I could see them in person? Sorry if you got the wrong vibe from me.

Undertaker vs HHH backstage powerplay was predicted once HHH landed on SD! with the draft. Taker and HHH don't really have any relationship other than a professional one and never particularly got alone - Taker is the lockerroom leader (I guess comparable to a union boss) and HHH is management - it could get really interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if this is HHH's way to get back on Raw. HHH hasn't been interesting as an on-screen character literally in years.

Undertaker will retire before losing his streak to HHH - I have no doubt about that.

What would WWE have to do to convince him to end the streak to HHH of all people? I don't think another title run would be enough or even a bigger contract would get the job done. HHH can't win this one. He should just focus on finding ways to get to #17 before his body gives out.

Just like Barry Sanders with Walter Payton...I hope HHH has enough respect for Flair to not want to break, or even tie, his record of 16.

Undertaker vs HHH backstage powerplay was predicted once HHH landed on SD! with the draft. Taker and HHH don't really have any relationship other than a professional one and never particularly got alone - Taker is the lockerroom leader (I guess comparable to a union boss) and HHH is management - it could get really interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if this is HHH's way to get back on Raw. HHH hasn't been interesting as an on-screen character literally in years.

Undertaker will retire before losing his streak to HHH - I have no doubt about that.

What would WWE have to do to convince him to end the streak to HHH of all people? I don't think another title run would be enough or even a bigger contract would get the job done. HHH can't win this one. He should just focus on finding ways to get to #17 before his body gives out.

Just like Barry Sanders with Walter Payton...I hope HHH has enough respect for Flair to not want to break, or even tie, his record of 16.

That was not the reason whatsoever for Sanders' retirement, and we all know Triple H wants the record.

They could always do the unthinkable "Hart screwjob, act 2" and run with a HHH heel run as the bosses step-son. I extremely highly doubt they would ever do it, but it's not to say they couldn't.

Step son? :huh:

Son-In-Law.

Let's be honest, Flair's real title reign count is more like 21 or so if you include some matches that usually aren't recognized. So even if HHH gets to 16 he would have a lot more work to do. Good grief if he wants it that bad just lose the belt to Jeff and regain, lose to MVP and regain, etc.

I don't think that anyone should end the Taker's streak at this point. If it is an established guy it would be credible but what is the point? If it's a young guy the fans wouldn't buy it for a minute and it might cause a mega backlash against the young guy instead of getting him over.

Let's be honest, Flair's real title reign count is more like 21 or so if you include some matches that usually aren't recognized. So even if HHH gets to 16 he would have a lot more work to do. Good grief if he wants it that bad just lose the belt to Jeff and regain, lose to MVP and regain, etc.

I don't think that anyone should end the Taker's streak at this point. If it is an established guy it would be credible but what is the point? If it's a young guy the fans wouldn't buy it for a minute and it might cause a mega backlash against the young guy instead of getting him over.

I highly doubt it happening, but if done right, and probably would have to be at Mania this year or at most, the next one after, I think Jeff Hardy could get a huge rub from beating Taker's streak. He's defiantely established, and assuming he won't be getting the SD title anytime soon (highly doubt he will go over HHH at the ppv), this would help him tremendously.