TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2008

Small note since the streak is being mentioned...

During the build up to the second "One Night Stand" event, I had this mental image of Sabu, to get respect for ECW, challenging The Undertaker at WrestleMania in an extreme rules match.

...would have been an interesting match, IMO.

Undertaker vs HHH backstage powerplay was predicted once HHH landed on SD! with the draft. Taker and HHH don't really have any relationship other than a professional one and never particularly got alone - Taker is the lockerroom leader (I guess comparable to a union boss) and HHH is management - it could get really interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if this is HHH's way to get back on Raw. HHH hasn't been interesting as an on-screen character literally in years.

Undertaker will retire before losing his streak to HHH - I have no doubt about that.

What would WWE have to do to convince him to end the streak to HHH of all people? I don't think another title run would be enough or even a bigger contract would get the job done. HHH can't win this one. He should just focus on finding ways to get to #17 before his body gives out.

Just like Barry Sanders with Walter Payton...I hope HHH has enough respect for Flair to not want to break, or even tie, his record of 16.

That's not what happened, and comparing a real sport to a worked sport is silly.

When WWE came up with the Championship Scramble concept, I kicked myself for never thinking of that idea myself. Based on the Hardcore title's time limit title matches of 2000-01, this match concept turned out to be quite nifty and entertaining.

I've noticed that WWE bases their match concepts on principles from past ideas in wrestling, so with a bit of thinking, it might not be too hard to come up with some feasible new concepts ourselves.

I've also noticed that sometimes, the better ideas are the simplest ones. Here's one example: Have a Triple Threat match but you have to pin BOTH of your opponents to win the match. So like everyone could have a fall over one of the other guys but they need to pin one other guy to win. Could make for many entertaining spots. Plus, it could be built around a story as well. Like a champion could say he won't defend his title in a straight-up Triple Threat because the champs lost the belt too many times without being pinned. This way the winner will HAVE to pin him. That match could be called the Triple Threat Test of Endurance

I would love to hear some of your ideas...anyone?

When WWE came up with the Championship Scramble concept, I kicked myself for never thinking of that idea myself. Based on the Hardcore title's time limit title matches of 2000-01, this match concept turned out to be quite nifty and entertaining.

I've noticed that WWE bases their match concepts on principles from past ideas in wrestling, so with a bit of thinking, it might not be too hard to come up with some feasible new concepts ourselves.

I've also noticed that sometimes, the better ideas are the simplest ones. Here's one example: Have a Triple Threat match but you have to pin BOTH of your opponents to win the match. So like everyone could have a fall over one of the other guys but they need to pin one other guy to win. Could make for many entertaining spots. Plus, it could be built around a story as well. Like a champion could say he won't defend his title in a straight-up Triple Threat because the champs lost the belt too many times without being pinned. This way the winner will HAVE to pin him. That match could be called the Triple Threat Test of Endurance

I would love to hear some of your ideas...anyone?

So basically a round-robin match? Interesting

The triple threat match is an interesting one, and could obviously be extended to a fatal four way (but I assume for a drama filled match, it would have to have a lot of time).

You know Franchise, I was brainstorming a fatal four way version of this match myself, but I have come to the conclusion that it would not work, because you'd have to put an awful lot of time in this match for someone to get pinfalls over the three other contestants, and I feel it would be just too big a task to keep the fans interested for this long. They could try it in crash format like they did with the Scramble matches last Sunday, but I really didn't think the matches turned out as good as they could have because of the crash format.

It could feasibly work for a main event at a PPV for maybe the WWE Title on Smackdown..

Jeff Hardy, HHH, MVP and Shelton Benjamin.

First person to pin their three opponents wins the title.

Given half an hour or maybe even 40 minutes, it could easily unwind a situation where Hardy and HHH both have two pinfalls against MVP and Benjamin, and it then comes down to HHH or Hardy having to pin each other, while the other two guys need to also pin HHH and Hardy. Benjamin and MVP would then become pretty 'safe' from being pinned as the two faces attention would HAVE to be on each other.

I enjoyed the Double Jeopardy match ECW did at November to Remember 2000 for the ECW Title where two matches were going on at the same time and the winners immediately start fighting.

I always enjoyed the WWE edited version of "Burn In My Light". Its much better than the actual version found on the Wreckless Intent album.

I'm not feeling the current theme song used by Orton. "Voices" or whatever its called.

And oh yeah...

29572_CS_300x450.jpg

Bob Barron is somewhere in there.

FCW wrestlers underwent name changes almost en masse. I guess they don't want to put pressure on the wwe writers to come up with ring names after they came up with Gavin Spears and Scotty Goldman most recently.

Brain Kelly - Byron Sexton

Kevin Kiley - Carson Oakley

Lupe Martinez - Damien Santiago

Imani Lee - "Pretty Boy" Nelson Roy

Health Miller - Sebastian Slater

Gabe Tuft - Taj Milano

Greg Jackson - Trent Barretta

Tyrone Jones - Tyson Tarver

Daisy - Wesley Holiday

FCW wrestlers underwent name changes almost en masse. I guess they don't want to put pressure on the wwe writers to come up with ring names after they came up with Gavin Spears and Scotty Goldman most recently.

Gabe Tuft - Taj Milano

Daisy - Wesley Holiday

Did this happen all at once, on the same day? If so, I assume it was never explained?

Gabe Tuft - Taj Milano

Daisy - Wesley Holiday

Did this happen all at once, on the same day? If so, I assume it was never explained?

Only real point I can see to this is WWE possibly one day calling these guys up, having them possibly make a name for themselves with their WWE-created names, then when the day comes that they earn their release, or are outright fired, they have to work the indy's under their nobody real names. Kind of a jerk move on WWE's part, but that's just beating a dead horse. Still can't get much worse than Gunner Scott, Garrison Cade, or the ultra boring (previously stated) Scotty Goldman, though.

Obviously targeting the only market interested in Punk...

Pretty boring ad to boot.

Nah, Punk's pretty over. One day you won't be blind to that, hopefully.

Obviously targeting the only market interested in Punk...

Pretty boring ad to boot.

Nah, Punk's pretty over. One day you won't be blind to that, hopefully.

I like him, actually, just don't feel he's WWE Title material. In fact, I'm seeing a developmental drought in the WWE, which I can't seem to figure out. Who the hell is going to fill in the void of the soon-to-be retired UT, HBK, Kane, JBL, Batista, etc? (When I say soon, I mean in a few years, BTW. There's no one developing, IMO, that can fill their absence. These things take time.)

I see only Orton, Cena, and a very small handful of others headlining or upper mid-carding.

The absence of Vince is really helping make Raw more enjoyable. Instead of six or eight Vince segments, we get six or eight segments with different wrestlers who have time to develop their character. Now instead of....Vince, we get more Santino, a Jamie Noble/William Regal feud (with an excuse to look at Layla), Evan Bourne cutting promos on KANE and then kicking his ass, and Charlie Haas as The Rest.

No more Triple H also helps.

You know, it's weird, I really don't hate or dis-like Triple H at all. I actually do like him, but I just think he's run his course with me. He could retire tomorrow and I would be alright with that. He doesn't belong on SD because he's too big a fish in too small a pond, yet I don't want him on Raw anymore...but I don't dis-like him. Does that seem weird to you?

Gabe Tuft - Taj Milano

Daisy - Wesley Holiday

What is up with WWE giving their new talent the most uninspiring, generic names possible? Would it be that awful to give them something marketable?

Just think if the current creative team was around in the eighties. Instead of Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior headlining cards, we could have had Todd Simpson, Lance Buchanon and Gary Lloyd.

What is up with WWE giving their new talent the most uninspiring, generic names possible? Would it be that awful to give them something marketable?

Not just new talent who got their start in FCW either. WWE let CM Punk keep his name, yet they change Colt Cabana's name to fucking Scotty Goldman and job him out.