TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2008

Any storylines that they do come up with are just axed in a week or two. It doesn't add anything to the matches. The matches are just...matches...and not a lot of people give a fuck about matches that they know are scripted anyway. Viewers watch for the entertainment aspect.

Huh!? If anything, feuds and storylines go on for way too long now, certainly not 'a week or two'. Edge and Undertaker wrestled on maybe 5 PPVs straight. Henry/Matt has been going on for a long while. Jericho/Michaels. JBL/Cena. Batista/Taker. Cena/Orton. Orton/HHH. MVP/Jeff. Punk and Orton's been building for a couple of months with zero matches. Ryder and Hawkins have been wrestling Jesse and Festus on and off for about a year now. Beth/Mickie. Beth/Candice, minus Candice's injury hiatus. Noble/Regal. Priceless and Cryme Tyme. This storyline with Koslov squashing a bunch of people wanting competition. McCool/Natalya. Maryse/McCool. I could go on, all feuds/storylines that have lasted at least more than a month.

I can't really think of any that were 'axed in a week or two'.

Funny, I actually like his Batista bomb better than the traditional pinning variation of the sit-out bomb. Well at least when he was doing it more with a snap to it. Lately he's just been awful with it.

I just can't stand to watch him in the ring I suppose. And those 'brutal' shoulders to the mid section when he has his opponent in the corner? amazing. I still can't figure out how in the blue hell he got over. At least Cena is somewhat entertaining to watch in the ring....

He got over because he played "cool ass-kicker who rarely speaks", who was allowed to always be 1 step ahead of HHH when they feuded.

Funny, I actually like his Batista bomb better than the traditional pinning variation of the sit-out bomb. Well at least when he was doing it more with a snap to it. Lately he's just been awful with it.

I just can't stand to watch him in the ring I suppose. And those 'brutal' shoulders to the mid section when he has his opponent in the corner? amazing. I still can't figure out how in the blue hell he got over. At least Cena is somewhat entertaining to watch in the ring....

He got over because he played "cool ass-kicker who rarely speaks", who was allowed to always be 1 step ahead of HHH when they feuded.

Don't forget the pimp suits he used to wear every week. That got him over big with a lot of the people around here. One of my favorite Batista moments is still a match he had with Rhino shortly before Wrestlemania 21. He had just hit the Batista Bomb, and as he went for the pin, the crowd erupted into a chant of "ONE MORE TIME! ONE MORE TIME!". He stood up, gave a big smile, and yelled ONE MORE TIME!, got loudest pop of the night, and hit another Batista Bomb for the win.

I would have sworn he did some Heat jobs in 2002-03 and was even acknowledged as a former Cruiserweight champ. I didn't even know he was still in the business. Would never have guessed it was him if they didn't announce him as Lenny Lane.

And my goodness, it must have been a while since I've seen ECW. Knox's beard is all over the place.

Never thought I'd see Lenny Lane on WWE television.

Yeah, did they ever downplay, hell, not even ackowledge, his prior major stints in the business too. Either that or Todd Grisham just didn't even know he used to be in WCW. Makes me think that was the case since Grisham then questions "what Rey looks like under the mask" like it's never happened before.

Also, the King Mabel comments by Striker were gold.

Would never have guessed it was him if they didn't announce him as Lenny Lane.

Yeah, same here. He used to be the guy that looked like Jericho and the close-up glimpse I saw of him, he looked more like Jeff Jarrett to me. Kinda cool to see a blast from the past show up, even in a squash.

Just getting to the main event now, kinda funny to hear Striker refer to King Mabel, then Grisham take a poke at it. I really enjoy Striker on commentary, kind of close to how much I enjoyed JBL on Smackdown. The only thing that bugs me with Striker is when he randomly takes political jabs he seems to take every week that usually seem bizarre and out of place.

I'm loving Mike Knox right now. I wish they'd give him some time on Raw.

Hell no. The guy does nothing besides come out with a beard and look angry. He's definitely on the lower end of recent big guys.

Knox is a fairly competent big man but he desperately needs to be repackaged with a gimmick. He's got the crazy beard going now, which at least helps him stand out. But he needs something besides being "Mike Knox: Generic Big Man."

As an aside I don't totally understand the booking of the Dreamer/Swagger/Knox segments. I would assume they are using Dreamer to put over Swagger and get him over, but how is Swagger going to get much out of beating Dreamer if Tommy is getting waxed by Knox? Why not give Dreamer a few jobber wins and rebuild him and then job him to Swagger?

Hell no. The guy does nothing besides come out with a beard and look angry. He's definitely on the lower end of recent big guys.

Lies and slander.

It's admittedly because of the beard and his increasing likeness to Brody that I like him so much. Snitsky is a guy who only looks mean and does nothing otherwise and Knox is far better than him in every way. I dare say he's one of the better big men currently. He's improved massively in skill, awareness, look, intensity, moveset, etc., since coming back. He could do more and was more athletic then than he is now, but it all works and fits together now, especially when the crowd couldn't give two shits about him before. He even got a decent enough pop when he slaughtered Chase Stevens and hasn't looked too out of place against the likes of Kofi, Hardy, or Bourne.

Have him go all out with the wild man/Brody thing. Give him the boots, the animal pelt, and let him kill every week. I'm not saying he'll set the world on fire or deserves to hang around the main event, but the Henry push or a role in a major tag team wouldn't be too bad for him at some point.

I wouldn't go full on Brody as you are suggesting, but a comment by Striker stood out during the match as Striker said something to the effect "Knox is from Arizona and trains out in the desert for days" or something to that effect. If given the rugged individualist/loner with some loose cannon characteristics, I think such a gimmick could really work for him.

If he's just a generic bully hoss, then he's doomed.