TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WCW SuperBrawl VI

That angle was especially rewarding for long time viewers who knew the Flair/Macho/Liz backstory from the WWF. Keep in mind that Flair always said he banged Liz at some point before she and Savage got married and there really was never any evidence that I recall to counter it. The beauty of it is that the pics they showed on WWF TV were all feasible, just stuff like Flair and Liz hanging out around the pool. Nothing too intimate, so you could infer either way.

I have a vague memory of the doctored pics now that you mention it. Now that I think about it wasn't it revealed that these pics were actually of Savage and Liz by the pool and all that, with Flair superimposed? I think that is a bit silly since the Flair pics looked quite real. They probably just had both Flair and Savage there for a photo shoot and did the same exact poses with Elizabeth, haha.

Having not gotten a chance to watch it yet, is the Pillman/Sullivan angle intact? I have the offical WCW VHS of this converted onto a DVD, and on that version of the show, they simply have Pillman yelling "I respect you!" and removed the whole "bookerman" portion of it as he runs out of the ring. I don't understand why WCW would do that, unless they were trying to play into the "Pillman works against the script" angle even in releasing the video, but then again why include a segment like that if that was the case?

They show the whole thing.

I love the crazy, insane, oversexed Flair from 1996. It may be my favorite Flair time period after the run with the original Horsemen. My roommate watched this with me, and we were both freaking out when they showed those over-the-top Flair, Savage, and Hogan promos all in a row.

I have a vague memory of the doctored pics now that you mention it. Now that I think about it wasn't it revealed that these pics were actually of Savage and Liz by the pool and all that, with Flair superimposed? I think that is a bit silly since the Flair pics looked quite real. They probably just had both Flair and Savage there for a photo shoot and did the same exact poses with Elizabeth, haha.

WWF Magazine did actually show the real photos with Savage and Elizabeth. They also noted that in one photo, they are watching Tuesday Night Titans, which obviously aired from 1984-1986.

Regarding that Pillman/Sullivan angle...what was that all about? I know it was to establish the whole Loose Cannon character, but I have no idea what possible money something like this could draw. It mostly just looked like Pillman refused to wrestle and then Arn and Flair tried to salvage it. Did they know the whole booking going in?

WWF Magazine did actually show the real photos with Savage and Elizabeth. They also noted that in one photo, they are watching Tuesday Night Titans, which obviously aired from 1984-1986.

I mentioned this in the Shorties section (because of the Flair promo revealing the magazine) but Entertainment Tonight actually had a piece on the angle which had clear video footage of Flair and Liz posing for the photos (and I guess her standing still while Savage and Flair swapped out, but I don't recall that).

Regarding that Pillman/Sullivan angle...what was that all about? I know it was to establish the whole Loose Cannon character, but I have no idea what possible money something like this could draw. It mostly just looked like Pillman refused to wrestle and then Arn and Flair tried to salvage it. Did they know the whole booking going in?

Pillman and Sullivan both knew what was going on in the match. Arn, it's a question mark, since even in shoot interviews he always refuses to break kayfabe.

The whole thing was an elaborate con by Pillman on Eric Bischoff, who thought that they together were conning the locker room and the dirtsheet writers. Pillman convinced Bischoff to go ahead with this crazy worked-shoot angle where Pillman would apparently really go completely fucking crazy, resulting in a couple of televised "shoots" with Sullivan in some of their matches. The key here was that aside from those people I've already mentioned, nobody else in the entire company would be in on it. Bischoff was always looking for some way to try and have an extra edge over the WWF and prove he was smarter than everyone else, so he went along with it. Pillman even showed up at some ECW shows in order to help sell his "Loose Cannon" character. Unfortunately for Bischoff, Pillman talked him into really getting WCW's legal department to release him from his contract, supposedly for purposes of realism in trying to fool Meltzer and co. Well, turns out all Pillman really wanted was to get out of his longterm WCW contract in order to go to the WWF, which is exactly what happened.

Basically Pillman was (rightfully) getting paranoid about his career and his life in general and wanted one more big contract to make sure his children were safe if something happened to him.

It was a whole elaborate plan to get big money. I believe Brian had 6 children from various women.

It was an eerily accurate prediction on his part.

Basically Pillman was (rightfully) getting paranoid about his career and his life in general and wanted one more big contract to make sure his children were safe if something happened to him.

It was a whole elaborate plan to get big money. I believe Brian had 6 children from various women.

It was an eerily accurate prediction on his part.

Pillman had three children from a previous marriage and two adopted children that were Melanie's. Melanie was pregnant with their first child together when he died.

Watched finally. I remembered it being a better show for some reason. Anyhow music notes- they edited DDP's (he wasn't using the Teen Spirit ripoff yet untill after his return from "retirement", he was using the one production song called "Glam Rock", which starting with a bike engine revving and DDP saying "Good Gawd"

Also taken off was Konan's 1ST theme as well. I'm not sure but I think the opening voiceover was redone by the guy who does the WWE dvd and some TV commercial voiceover.

Anyhow the street fight was fun ,the DDP-Badd match was good, as these two always seemed to have good chemistry. The tag title matches were boring, only made interesting by the awesome Sting and Luger angle. This show is made by the fact of the Pillman angle and Liz turning on Savage (Hogan's reaction promo was hilarious though), but even the Flair match wasn't too great. Plus I got depressed counting 9 dead people on the show in 1/2 Public Enemy, 3 Hawk, 4. Woman, 5 Liz, 6 Loch Ness, 7 Pillman,8. Randy Anderson. 9 J. Tenta