TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BruteSquad_BRODY

UFC 91: Couture vs Lesnar

So looks like Brock wants free reign to hit Randy in the back of the head. From Sherdog...

Citing Mazzagatti’s officiating in Lesnar’s UFC debut against Frank Mir in February, attorneys David Olsen and Brian Stegeman made their aversion to the referee’s presence known at a regularly scheduled NSAC meeting. The attorneys claimed Mazzagatti was “involved in what we believe was a controversial ruling in connection with the Mir-Lesnar fight.” They asked that Mazzagatti be removed from consideration for the UFC 91 main event to avoid “distraction” and “any further controversy.”

So looks like Brock wants free reign to hit Randy in the back of the head. From Sherdog...

Citing Mazzagatti’s officiating in Lesnar’s UFC debut against Frank Mir in February, attorneys David Olsen and Brian Stegeman made their aversion to the referee’s presence known at a regularly scheduled NSAC meeting. The attorneys claimed Mazzagatti was “involved in what we believe was a controversial ruling in connection with the Mir-Lesnar fight.” They asked that Mazzagatti be removed from consideration for the UFC 91 main event to avoid “distraction” and “any further controversy.”

Or maybe it's because Mazzagatti is one of the worst refs in the business. I wouldn't want Mazzagatti reffing any fight.

Seems like every ref at major events stateside have been fucking up lately... The best was Dan Mirgliatoa(sp?). People were calling him the next Big John, but it all it took was one event, forget which one and all of a sudden he sucks just as bad as Dean & Maz.

Dean isn't that bad. Merg is the worst.

What I've seen with Dean is he's just trigger happy on calling a fight, but his consistent in that so you know what you are dealing with as a fighter. Other than that I haven't seen anything that really distracts or is poor officiating on his part.

I have no problems with Dean. Yves Lavigne might be the best ref just because I really can't think of one incident that he fucked up so he kind of wins automatically.

Allowing Nog to continue when he had his brains scrambled by a head kick by Herring says hello. I know it's Nog and all but he was D-E-A-D.

Doesn't change the fact that the fight being stopped after the head kick would've been 100% justified.

He's Nogueria for fuck sakes, he SHOULD be given a lot of lee-way. Especially considering his past history, getting his shit rocked and coming back.

Mario Yaz is pretty good.

Every time they run in Florida you know you're going to see the worst ref in the business... Troy Waugh (sp?).

Dude is terrible and so annoying.

Doesn't change the fact that the fight being stopped after the head kick would've been 100% justified.

He's Nogueria for fuck sakes, he SHOULD be given a lot of lee-way. Especially considering his past history, getting his shit rocked and coming back.

Re-watch the fight. This is the guy who took Cro-Cop's high kick, Sylvia's left hook and ground and pound from Fedor and he has never, ever in his career been more fucked up then he was against Herring. Even when he was dropped by all of those shots he was able to recover quickly or at least pull guard but against Herring he was eating shots on the ground and feebly trying to move around. Hell, he was out on his feet for the rest of the round.

I love Nog to death and of course recognize his ability to recover but the dude was done.

Re-watch the fight. This is the guy who took Cro-Cop's high kick, Sylvia's left hook and ground and pound from Fedor and he has never, ever in his career been more fucked up then he was against Herring. Even when he was dropped by all of those shots he was able to recover quickly or at least pull guard but against Herring he was eating shots on the ground and feebly trying to move around. Hell, he was out on his feet for the rest of the round.

I love Nog to death and of course recognize his ability to recover but the dude was done.

It's not the referee's fault that Herring decided to stop trying to finish off Nogueria, and let him up. Herring has no one to blame but himself.

So, assuming UFC finds somebody with the balls to step up to Silva on 2 weeks notice and he gets medically cleared...

From Sam Caplan @ 5 Ounces of Pain-

UFC 91 is set to take place on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas and will feature Randy Couture defending the UFC heavyweight title vs. Brock Lesnar.

But might the card receive an additional jolt in fighting talent in the form of UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva? According to UFC President Dana White, it might not be impossible.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is quoting White as saying that Silva is so upset about criticism that he showboated during his third round TKO over Patrick Cote this past weekend at UFC 90, that he wants to get back in the Octagon as soon as possible.

“He’s flipping out. He wants to fight again, like, on Nov. 15,” White is quoted as saying in the article. “He’s (upset) about his performance and he wants to fight again immediately.”

However, the article correctly points out that Nov. 15 might be too quick of a turnaround for Silva. While Silva might be willing, finding a capable opponent on such short notice might be next to impossible.

It’s also important to note that Silva’s eagerness to return should not be interepted as a feeling of guilt on his part. Silva is quoted as denying allegations that he was toying with Cote during their bout last Saturday.

“I didn’t come here to play. I didn’t come here to put on a show,” said Silva. “I came here to do my job and I didn’t become a champion and defend the title as many times as I have by not doing my job.”

On that front there's also rumors that Chuck's comeback fight in February/March will be against Silva so who knows?

But yeah, Alexander is one of the only names popping up at the moment.

Lyoto Machida?

A returning Tito Ortiz?

Maybe see if any of Elite XC's former roster is game? Joey Villasenor? Robbie Lawler?

Come on Dana, make something happen.....

Lyoto and Silva train together and have already said they'll never fight each other. Lyoto is pretty much the reason Silva has said that he has no interest in challenging for the 205 belt. Tito isn't in fighting shape and has said he won't be back until spring of 2009. EXC doesn't have any prominent 205'ers they could put up against Silva. I don't think it's happening.

The more I think about it the more I feel Randy's two big wins were not so legit. Gonzaga has been exposed as a bit of a pussy since that fight, and Sylvia might have been injured for real? I am not sure, but I'm starting to doubt the Natural more and more.

Which is good, because that's when he thrives :)