TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PUT THAT DICK IN MY MOUTH!

PROG THREAD

Close to the Edge is good? I only have Fragile and The Yes Album from their back catalogue. The former's pretty awesome, the latter is really mundane.

I'm trying to collect as much progressive-rock as I can at the moment. I get the idea that it would be my favourite genre of music if I were to become more well-versed in it (I like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes etc. Emerson, Lake and Palmer are a horrific testament to the potential of overly-pretentious music to utterly fail when it is coupled with bog-standard songwriting).

Ten years ago when I first hit the internet, I was really big on prog. There are still come bands I listen to and enjoy, such as Rush, KC, Genesis (Gabriel/Hackett era, obv), Steve Hackett solo, and Camel, but I've gradually lost taste for a lot of the bands I was really big on ten years ago, such as Yes, Floyd, Tull and ELP.

Gentle Giant's Octopus kicks all kinds of ass.

As far as Prog albums go, i'd have to say my all time fave is Floyd's Meddle. Other will say its' WYWH, DOSTM, The Wall, Or Animals, but I always prefered Meddle.

Also, does Krautrock count?

Hate 2 break it 2 u but Dream Theater is pretty much pure shit. Sorry bro!

Also all you dudes who haven't heard Magma need to get fucking familiar. Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh is basically the hottest (get it? magma = hot. lol) shit ever made.

Dream Theater does not suck

Scenes from a Mammary, however, does (oh, and Byron does too, but that's for another thread!). Overwrought POS with a bunch of shitty ballads about some girl's floaty spirit "I was shot and I died oh noes". Go fig that for all the un-brutal "wuss metal" Laz chides me for, he likes that

Train of Thought is far superior

I never really could get into ELP. God knows I've tried to, but I just can't. Brain Salad Surgery does have of my all time fave album covers though.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Russian Circles are good. Check 'em live if you can.

Yes, yes, shit yes.

Ever heard Tera Melos?

Fucking amazing guitar work. He could tile his kitchen with effects pedals, but whatever. Everyone listen to "40 Rods to the Hogs Head"

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Blodwyn Pig, anyone? A little bluesy by most prog standards. Stellar guitar as well by Mick Abrahams from Jethro Tull.

Spooky Tooth?

Atomic Rooster?

I'm all over this bluesish technical guitar-laden greybeard shit.

Hate 2 break it 2 u but Dream Theater is pretty much pure shit. Sorry bro!

Also all you dudes who haven't heard Magma need to get fucking familiar. Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh is basically the hottest (get it? magma = hot. lol) shit ever made.

I can vouch for that. I had a roommate at college who listened to them constantly and I soon realized that all their stuff sounds the same.

I like Dream Theater based upon what I have heard, but that's only a very limited sample.

I'm going to check out those bands that Agent just pimped. Results forthcoming.

Add me to the list of guys who hate Dream Theatre. I also had a roomate who would play them a whole lot, and it drove me crazy. At least he also liked Cynic and Watchtower.

Dream Theater combines the worst qualities of Rush and Yngwie Malmsteen.

That's a good description of DT.

Has anyone here listened to Porcupine Tree? I've thoroughly enjoyed their last few albums.

I can write off the dislike for DT, as they're definitely a love-or...okay, like, maybe, since there are some CDs of theirs I don't care for... anyways, they're definitely a divisive band as far as public opinion, but to say all of their songs sound the same is an absolutely fucking ludicrous statement.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I like Dream Theater based upon what I have heard, but that's only a very limited sample.

I'm going to check out those bands that Agent just pimped. Results forthcoming.

Tread lightly. Blodywn Pig broke up and reformed many times. Getting to This is the most worthwhile, I think.

Atomic Rooster is pretty good all over. Great album covers.

Spooky Tooth did a bunch of Captain Beefheart-ish blues rock, minus the crazy. Perhaps their most compelling work is the concept album Ceremony, which features The Lord's Prayer set to music.

-Dream Theater have some good songs "Pull Me Under" and "These Walls" come to mind but most of their stuff is just nausating. I did like what I heard from "Train of Thought" and I've been meaning to give that a chance.

-I'm just know getting into King Crimson actually. Loved "In the Court of..." and especially "Red." From what I've heard so far I haven't came across anything that reached those heights yet.

-Porcupine Tree's last few albums were hit and miss but the hits were very impressive. "Trains," "Arriving Somewhere..," and "Sentimental" have become favorites of mine.

As as Can fan I've been meaning to check out Magma for some time.

Anyone else in to Area? Incredible Italian Prog Act from the 70s.

No love for Genesis and Faust? For shame. Also, Zombi are pretty awesome.

Good God, Muse sucks.