TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Unforgiven 2008

1. Cryme Tyme vs. Priceless © - World Tag Team Titles.

2. Maryse vs. Michelle McCool © - Divas Championship.

3. ECW Championship Scramble: The Miz vs. Finlay vs. Chavo Guerrero vs. Matt Hardy vs. Mark Henry ©

4. WWE Championship Scramble: THE Brian Kendrick vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. MVP vs. Jeff Hardy vs. HHH ©

5. World Heavyweight Championship Scramble: JBL vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Batista vs. CM Punk ©

6. Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels - Round III for 2008 PPV.

For those that need a refresher on the Scramble Rules:

General Rules of the match:

• The match has a 20-minute time limit. Two randomly selected participants will start the match, with a new challenger entering the match every five minutes.
  • If a Superstar scores a pinfall or submission on any other Superstar in the match, he is declared the "interim" champion for match purposes (and is not officially recognized as champion in the title history). He holds that designation until another Superstar scores a subsequent pinfall or submission on any other Superstar.
  • The last Superstar to earn a pinfall or submission within the time limit will be officially declared the World Heavyweight/WWE/ECW Champion.
Also, to save about 6 comments, a stream for the show is probably on that Justin guy's website like it is every month.

I remember that a few months ago, before I actually started posting here and was just lurking, there used to be roundtable discussions of the PPV's before they went on, discussing the cards and making predictions. I used to really enjoy reading those. What happened to them?

We can always bring them back for No Mercy if you want. It just kinda went kaput for some reason.

FWIW, I enjoyed doing them.

We can always bring them back for No Mercy if you want. It just kinda went kaput for some reason.

FWIW, I enjoyed doing them.

I'd like them to come back. It was always a fun read.

Pretty much. Which can either be an advantage (He's fresh w/ a lot of tired wrestlers to attack) or disadvantage (Only has 5 minutes to score a pin/submission).

I think that it would be a different dynamic if all 5 guys started off in the ring together. These kinda feels like an elimination chamber without any eliminations and with a time limit. Guess we'll see after tonight if this idea has legs or not.

I miss the wrestling PPV gambling threads, where we'd all be allocated an ammount of currancy and we could bet on the outcomes of matches here, with favourites (ie Undertaker at a Wrestlemania) getting better odds.

We should start doing those again.

I'm really looking forward to this show.....the first two matches (tag and Divas title matches) will likely be kept short and not amount to much, but I am very interested to see how the scramble matches go. With a guaranteed 20 minutes for each, they may produce some good stuff. And I also like how, especially in the SD title match, there are new and fresh guys in the match that you wouldnt normally see in world title matches. Then to top it all off, we have one of the more heated matches I have seen in WWE in a long time with Jericho and Michaels.

Divas match: McCool wins, probably will be a very sloppy match, given Maryse is in it.

Tag titles: Priceless should retain.

ECW scramble: Henry will probably squeak out a win at the last minute, wouldn't be surprised to see the title flip-flopped alot in this one.

SD scramble: I just can't see HHH retaining here, either he was improvising and burying his opponents on Smackdown or he wasn't taking any of the guys seriously intentionally, on Smackdown this week. I can see Hardy actually close to winning the title (having it up to near the end of the match) but then either MVP or Kendrick take it. HHH probably won't ever even get pinned, so he can keep face. I am still calling an instant Taker title shot right after the match when Vicki tries to patch things up with Taker by the move. Taker wins the title and when Vicki thinks they are all ok, Taker does the same chokeslam thing he did on Edge, on Vicki through the ring.

Raw scramble: They may try some different booking here and have Punk out first with whomever, and he ends up lasting through the whole thing without anyone being pinned at all. It would be the best idea in order to try to keep Punk as strong as possible.

Jericho/Michaels: I don't see this feud ending yet at all, calling some sort of double KO type deal here, probably some big bump that takes them both out. And because of that, I don't see this main eventing the show on the last match slot, I'm actually thinking that will be saved for the SD scramble.

Here are my predictions:

Tag Match: Priceless will take it. I think that they've been building them up lately and it would be wasted by making them lose the belts now.

Diva Match: McCool wins. Don't think they'd want to put the belt on Maryse now and didn't they say this was McCool's first title defense on SD? Pretty sure they didn't say it was the first ppv defense, so I doubt they'll make her lose the belt on the first try.

Jericho vs Michaels: I think Jericho is the smarter choice for WWE. Michaels could take some time off to heal if Jericho wins. Also, Jericho should be put into the title picture at some point, whereas I don't see the point of adding Michaels to it since he can't wrestle full time. Having Jericho lose now would hurt his credibility unless he brutally attacks HBK after the match and "takes him out of commission for a few months". I've loved this feud, but I think it needs to die down or end now, at least until Wrestlemania.

The Scramble Matches: Funny thing here is that while I am certain that at least one title has to change hands, when I look at the individual matches I just don't expect it to happen. I really think they want Punk to keep the belt til Surviror Series, I just can't imagine Trips giving up the belt and I think that since ECW ratings are rather good with Henry as champ they won't want to change it this early. So not sure what to predict here because my gut goes against any chanes but I am sure that has to be wrong. If I had to guess who'd win if the champs don't retain, my guesses would be:

Raw: Batista is most likely, but I could see JBL taking it instead since they seem obsessed with keeping him in the title picture and it'd make another Punk/JBL match actually sense.

SD: I seriously doubt they'd put it on Kendrick at this point and Shelton has the US title and it wouldn't make sense to bump him up yet. It's been MVP and Hardy, but if the rumors about the heat on MVP are true then I think it'll go to Hardy.

ECW: Hardy seems like the most obvious candidate.

I don't think they'll do the Taker match against the SD Scramble winner. Those rumors about Taker's having a sore knee and his coming back too early make me inclined to think that that is why he hasn't been wrestling on tv lately and that they might want to let him heal better before they toss him into the ring.

My picks:

Team Priceless

Henry

Punk

MVP

Jericho

Why do we get the shitty women's match from SD instead of a Womens Championship Scramble Match? Beth vs. Mickie vs. Candice vs. Kelly vs. Katie would've been far better!

The only one who can win it is Batista or Punk, and I don't see them giving him a world title win at a throwaway PPV. He hasn't been champion for a long while, winning the world heavyweight championship back in a multi-man match with no fanfare doesn't seem like the story they're telling. One more Punk win here with the odds against him should completely legitimatize his reign, then maybe they could have him drop it to Jericho or Orton.

I think MVP is winning the SD! Title tonight, HHH is doing nothing as champion, and with three top performers being faces (four if you count Big Show), it just makes more sense for a heel to be the champ and the faces chasing. Also Edge could come back and not have to focus on the title for the time being.

I think Punk walks out with the title. Punk vs Orton has real potential going forward, though I expect Orton to win the title, setting up Orton vs Batista at WM (unless Cena is around)

Jericho should win, because I think most fans expect HBK to win. I'd give HBK some time off, have him decimated by Jericho and Cade. Then have Jericho move on to a interim feud with CM Punk fo rthe title while Randy heals up.

Michelle wins - I don't even care and I was a fan of the SD! womens title initially. McCool is bland as hell. Maryse might not make a bad champion, but there is only one face female, McCool needs to retain.

Henry will lose without getting pinned. Matt Hardy makes the most sense here.

Rhodes and Dibiase retain, though underhandedly because with Cryme Tyme being the only other tagteam on Raw, they need to keep this feud going.

I don't see them giving him a world title win at a throwaway PPV.

I think the term throwaway ppv, is a thing of the pass, they're all the same.

Well, considering Unforgiven is only 3 weeks after Summerslam...

He's right though.....as it is now, no ppvs, with the exception of probably Mania, are being given a stronger card over another ppv of the calendar year. Thus, "saving" a big title win for Survivor Series, SummerSlam, etc, just doesn't hold any water anymore.

Guest Smues

If I weren't at work I'd be half interested in ordering this. But then I'd look at the match-ups and realize there is no way HHH is losing the belt, and lose some of that half interest. I am really interested to see how the Raw title shakes out though.

If HHH isn't losing the title tonight, then how he treated MVP, Benjamin and TBK on Smackdown was pointless and made all three look like geeks. The way HHH was so cocksure on Smackdown seems to be setting up for him getting screwed out of the belt, possibly thanks to Khali.

Given the thought that went into booking Unforgiven, it's clear that WWE considers it throwaway.

Eh, it was three weeks build, and I like the idea of the scramble matches, so I can't say the booking has been lackluster here. Jericho/HBK for sure has been a great build as well. Dare I say, considering it was only a three week build, I think they did better than they normally do in those situations with this card.

ECW scramble opens the show.....doesn't surprise me.