TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Unforgiven 2008

Jericho winning doesn't make it a wonderful ending.

Y2J > the rest of the goobers in the match. I thought Cena or Orton was going to replace Punk.

It was obvious once he entered he was just going to do the chickenshit pin.

He's a heel. I'm fine with that.

Yes. thanks for screwing over the paying customer!

Having Punk taken out of the match just proves Vince was never serious about CM Punk being the champion.

How did they screw over the paying customer?

They took out their world champion, whose storyline defined the scramble match, right before the main event.

That their world champion failed to participate? Just because they didn't do the "wire to wire retaining Punk" angle that everyone here seemed to think they would do, doesn't mean the paying customers were screwed over.

Yes, it does. There's a difference between Punk not wrestling at all, and Punk not going wire to wire. I bought the PPV to see Punk wrestle, not to see him get taken out with a stupid storyline injury then sit through a listless 15 minute scramble of Batista-Kane brawling that we saw two weeks ago on RAW

I have to say I sure didn't expect that ending... I hadn't been keeping up with the thread or any of the sites with live updates, so I was pretty taken aback when a buddy IM'ed me that Jericho was champ. I didn't even know that Punk wasn't in the match at the time, lol.

I may be a rare exception but I never buy a PPV to watch one guy wrestle. Helps cut down that "screwed over" feeling.

Though I do see where you're coming from. I'm just happy Jericho is getting some sort of reward for carrying Raw the last few months. Like I said in a different thread a while back, Raw spent more time making me care about Jericho than they have Punk.

How did they screw over the paying customer?

They took out their world champion, whose storyline defined the scramble match, right before the main event.

That their world champion failed to participate? Just because they didn't do the "wire to wire retaining Punk" angle that everyone here seemed to think they would do, doesn't mean the paying customers were screwed over.

Yes, it does. There's a difference between Punk not wrestling at all, and Punk not going wire to wire. I bought the PPV to see Punk wrestle, not to see him get taken out with a stupid storyline injury then sit through a listless 15 minute scramble of Batista-Kane brawling that we saw two weeks ago on RAW

Pretty sure that was Adamle's storyline.

Y2J > the rest of the goobers in the match. I thought Cena or Orton was going to replace Punk.

They never should've taken out Punk to begin with. Just because he was the best option doesn't make it a wonderful ending.

Having Punk taken out of the match just proves Vince was never serious about CM Punk being the champion.

What I read in the WON was that they were high on Punk as champion, and he was getting over. I think it was too soon to take the belt off of him, and the scramble match concept was perfect for the story of Punk's reign.

And he's not even in the match.

Punk's storyline is underdog champion who nobody thinks can win.

The setup for the scramble match was THE CHAMPION ONLY HAS 20 PERCENT CHANCE, HE WILL NOT WIN OMG.

Perfect for Punk.

Also, Stephanie and Shane made the match, they just had Adamle announce it.

Jericho winning doesn't make it a wonderful ending. It was obvious once he entered he was just going to do the chickenshit pin.

This is also what, the 100th time in the past two years, Batista has come OHSOCLOSE TO THE WORLD TITLE, THE LOOK OF DISBELIEF ON HIS FACE.

Thanks, WWE!

Yes. thanks for screwing over the paying customer!

How did they screw over the paying customer? They were promised possible title changes. They were promised a brutal fight (Jericho/HBK). What did they not deliver on? That their world champion failed to participate? Just because they didn't do the "wire to wire retaining Punk" angle that everyone here seemed to think they would do, doesn't mean the paying customers were screwed over.

Not delivering on an advertised match, much less the main event; I would consider that screwing the fans somewhat. Especially those that paid money to see THE WORLD CHAMPION in a match and did not. I'm sure some people, as few as we may speculate there are, paid to see THE WORLD CHAMPION compete.

What would the reaction have been if the WWE title match was in the main event and Triple H got pulled and replaced with Domino?

Does Triple H = CM Punk? No, I would rather see Punk in the main event rather than Triple H, but I'm sure I'm not in the majority on that. However, in WWE land they are supposed to be equals and they wouldn't dream of pulling HHH off a card during the PPV.

Punk's storyline is underdog champion who nobody thinks can win.

The setup for the scramble match was THE CHAMPION ONLY HAS 20 PERCENT CHANCE, HE WILL NOT WIN OMG.

Perfect for Punk.

Also, Stephanie and Shane made the match, they just had Adamle announce it.

Although that's true, you were supposed to conveniently forget that fact, since the scramble was later billed "an Adamle original."

I'm really looking forward to a Punk-Jericho feud.

Michaels said its not over so I think No Mercy will be Michaels Vs. Jericho for the title while Punk gets a match against Orton for revenge.

I have to admit, it's pretty cheezy having Jericho come out hurt, instead of Punk doing the EXACT same thing!

Jericho's beatdown happened like an hour before the main event. Punk got beatdown and kicked right in the head, knocked out for that matter like right before the match started. That's believable.

Just because he was the best option doesn't make it a wonderful ending.

In my mind, yes, it does. I'll take what I can get. That's far better than fucking Batista getting the God damn belt back!

What I read in the WON was that they were high on Punk as champion, and he was getting over. I think it was too soon to take the belt off of him, and the scramble match concept was perfect for the story of Punk's reign.

And he's not even in the match.

You're asking Vince / Creative to act logically...

It was obvious when Triple H retained that a new champion would be crowned in the Raw match. Under those circumstances, did you really want to see Punk be physically present when he loses the title? Yes, the "booking" of Punk overcoming those odds would have been great, but this is taking too many factors that didn't exist into this equation. Like I've said to Hawk 34 about this wire to wire scenario, the WWE doesn't want to book Punk as the guy who does overcome odds. They seem to want to book him as the purely mortal guy who happens to be a good enough wrestler on some nights to win. Those kind of characters are ideal for 1-3 month reigns, which is exactly what Punk got. And besides he's still very young, if the WWE is really that high on him, they'll find a way to put one of their top titles on him again eventually.

I'm also not happy with their removing Punk from the match. Although I think he should've kept the belt until at least Surviror Series, I am okay with it being taken off of him as well. What I do find crappy is their not even putting him in the match. Although in some ways it protects him, I also find it's a crappy thing to do because the defending champ should be in the championship match! Sure cards can change, but I feel that that change is a little too big.

Bad, bad show. I love Jericho, especially recently, but come on. Not even his title win justified the money I spent tonight.

The ECW scramble match started off boring, but the last 5 minutes with Hardy doing everything he could to break up pinfalls were great. Good to see him win the title.

The tag match was decent enough, though I'm already very against Afa Jr. being in the 2nd Generation stable. He doesn't fit the mold at all.

Jericho-Michaels was very good, but I hated the ending. DON'T SPECIFICALLY SAY PINFALL OR SUBMISSION ONLY AND THEN HAVE THE REF END THE MATCH. It's SO fucking stupid. The ending was the same god damn thing as when Jericho beat down HBK a few months ago, but this was supposed to be a more brutal match or whatever, since there were no rules.

The women's match was..whatever. Who cares.

The Big Show-Undertaker-Vickie segment went WAY too long and I'm pissed they turned Big Show heel again.

The WWE Title Scramble was probably the best one, but they really made Jeff look like an idiot at the end. It was completely unnecessary. He could have just been out of the ring when the time ran out. Instead, they made me not even want to see him win the title anymore after being so stupid.

And the World Heavyweight Title Scramble. Well, what else can be said. It was stupid. They could have easily put Jericho in when Cena was injured, but they didn't. They could have done the obvious "Punk retains the title despite the Orton attack" ending and made Punk finally look like a credible champion. Instead we get 10 minutes of Batista-JBL-Kane, Rey coming out dressed as the Miz, and Jericho being Adamle's idea of a suitable replacement, even after they showed Regal trying to get into the match.

Sometimes I hate the WWE.

For any Punk fans that are worried about how he's treated, you should be relieved they did what they did tonight with him. To me, that shows they actually are protecting the guy and planning for him to chase the title a bit now. And he has a clear direction with Orton right now too, so cmon.

For any Punk fans that are worried about how he's treated, you should be relieved they did what they did tonight with him. To me, that shows they actually are protecting the guy and planning for him to chase the title a bit now. And he has a clear direction with Orton right now too, so cmon.

You don't really think they'll have Orton put him over, do you?

I think everyone's disappointed they didn't get a re-creation of Bret Hart's 1994 Royal Rumble entry. Plus, w/ Punk not the champ anymore, the fear is Punk will be forced to settle in an upper midcard spot indefinitely while Batista takes four months to defeat Jericho for the title.

Plus, w/ Punk not the champ anymore, the fear is Punk will be forced to settle in an upper midcard spot indefinitely while Batista takes four months to defeat Jericho for the title.

Truthfully, after how he was booked for months as champion, that is really where Punk belongs. And it will take Batista until Survivor Series to win the belt (hopefully never though). And I agree with Fentz on his comment. WWE is never putting Punk over Orton in any significant way.

Punk now has the "I never lost the title" card, that's hardly being buried to me.

Exactly. This is the perfect set-up for CM Punk to win the title back at Wrestlemania IF WWE is still serious about him.

The McMahons and the creative team are high on him and were pleased with his title reign.

Truthfully, after how he was booked for months as champion, that is really where Punk belongs.

They need to establish that Punk's reign wasn't a fluke and he can still hang with the established main eventers to show the fans they're serious about pushing new faces

What people forget is this could have very easily been Jeff Hardy getting punted in the head tonight instead. I don't think Punk really matters to the WWE as much as some believe.

If they weren't high on him, they would have just jobbed him out in the scramble match, and they didn't.

The McMahons and the creative team are high on him and were pleased with his title reign.

Truthfully, after how he was booked for months as champion, that is really where Punk belongs.

They need to establish that Punk's reign wasn't a fluke and he can still hang with the established main eventers to show the fans they're serious about pushing new faces

So why weren't they? If they were in fact serious about pushing Punk, explain the booking for his entire reign? You'd think if they were serious, they wouldn't constantly be harping on what an underdog he is, or how lucky he is, or how other people beat themselves in matches with him. You'd think that if they were serious with Punk, they wouldn't have had him losing so much in ECW, so much on SD/ECW/Raw when he was building up MITB and after he won MITB, and losing so much as champion on Raw. They were just slightly more serious about Punk and his reign than Rey's. And that's not saying much. It's nice to think of all the possibilities when the WWE does things right, but if that was the case, it wouldn't be the WWE, would it?

What people forget is this could have very easily been Jeff Hardy getting punted in the head tonight instead. I don't think Punk really matters to the WWE as much as some believe.

If they weren't high on him, they would have just jobbed him out in the scramble match, and they didn't.

My point is, this was a spot that most assumed was set for Jeff Hardy before his suspension. Sure, Punk has performed well to the point that maybe someone said the creative team thinks highly of him. But remember that supposedly Vince (or that award winning creative team) thought so high of Shelton he/they was telling MVP to be more like him. They sure show it by having HHH pedigree him week in and week out. The only thing the booking proved was that they thought high enough of him to set up his next program, with a RETURNING superstar. Yeah he's definitely gonna win that one.

I think they'll have Punk vs. Orton all the way to Mania.

CM Punk vs. Cody Rhodes @ No Mercy

CM Punk/Cryme Tyme vs. Priceless/Afa in a Street Fight (fan vote) @ Cyber Sunday

CM Punk/CTC vs. Orton/Priceless/Afa @ Survivor Series

CM Punk vs. Randy Orton @ Armageddon, Orton goes over, gets a title shot against Batista @ Royal Rumble

Punk screws Orton out of the strap at the Rumble, Orton ambushes Punk IN the Rumble

They screw each other out of mania title shots at No Way Out

Punk goes over in a Mania blow-off

Orton can certainly handle losing to Punk (he has and will continue to have sustainable heat regardless), and I actually expect it to happen, at least with the blowoff match. Orton doesn't need to jump right back into the title picture, so he'll put over Punk, and I would assume the faction starts taking more shape, and that becomes more of a focus long term, as well as a feud with Batista possibly after he's done with Punk (Jericho will deal with Michaels and Batista in the interim while Orton/Punk happens). I also expect that to be a very heated program that will probably go three ppvs with a program.

I think they'll have Punk vs. Orton all the way to Mania.

CM Punk vs. Cody Rhodes @ No Mercy

CM Punk/Cryme Tyme vs. Priceless/Afa in a Street Fight (fan vote) @ Cyber Sunday

CM Punk/CTC vs. Orton/Priceless/Afa @ Survivor Series

CM Punk vs. Randy Orton @ Armageddon, Orton goes over, gets a title shot against Batista @ Royal Rumble

Punk screws Orton out of the strap at the Rumble, Orton ambushes Punk IN the Rumble

They screw each other out of mania title shots at No Way Out

Punk goes over in a Mania blow-off

You're stretching, REALLY stretching there. They're not going to stretch out that first big Orton/Punk match until Armageddon, cmon. And I don't see Cryme Time/Priceless feuding any further than probably a few weeks from now, if that.

Ok... a former world champion that is one of their few real heels in the entire company, returning after about 6 months away, is possibly tabbed to become the leader of the first significant stable since Evolution (I don't count La Familia as it was basically Edge and a few jobber types), and you have him losing in his first feud back, to a guy they couldn't even win matches that wasn't for the title... you definitely read the WWE's minds.