TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

fantasymoguls hasn't posted tracking numbers yet. The Bob Barron tracking thinks it will go this way-

1) Tyler Perry Movie 20-25 mil

2) Righteous Kill 17 mil

3) Burn After Reading 10 mil

4) Woman 8 mil

5) Tropic Thunder 4.55

6) House Bunny 3.7

7) Bangok Dangerous 3.6

8) TDK 3.52

9) Traitor 2.31

10) Death Race 2.18

I think this is TDK's last gasp in the top 10

I’m getting a little worried about Righteous Kill [opens wide September 12], which I wrote earlier about here. It won’t screen till less than 48 hours before it opens, which is almost as bad as not screening at all (because it means any critic who writes for a weekly will miss his or her deadline for getting a review out by opening day, and critics at daily newspapers are pressed, too; come to think of it, it’s not too great for online critics, either, because it means we have no time to think about our reaction to a film before we have to write about it, if we want to have a review up on opening day).

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/2008/0...s_choke_ig.html

They really shouldn't have gotten a hack director to do Righteous Kill.

I think this is TDK's last gasp in the top 10

Maybe so, but it has been in the top 5 (if not the top 3) since its release. Didn't beat Titanic as all the naysayers said (personally I hoped with all the talk of that, that the movie would) but still impressive.

My mom worked on the payroll for RIGHTEOUS KILL (she did the crew's payroll), and she said it's going to be a pretty good movie. The appeal of seeing both DeNiro and Pacino together will draw well.

fantasymoguls prediction, based on tracking:

EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS PREDICTIONS FOR THE WEEKEND OF 9/12

1. Tyler Perry’s The Family That Preys Together (Lionsgate) - $18M

2. Righteous Kill (Overture) - $16.1M

3. Burn After Reading (Focus) - $13.6M

4. The Women (Picturehouse) - $7.3M

5. Tropic Thunder (Dreamworks/Paramount) - $5.3M

6. The Dark Knight (Warner Bros) - $4.2M

7. Bangkok Dangerous (Lionsgate) - $4.1M

8. The House Bunny (Sony) - $3.5M

9. Traitor (Overture) - $2.1M

10. Babylon A.D. (Fox) - $1.7M

Hey bob, just curious: how close do these estimates usually end up being to the real totals? I'd check myself, but my browser's being a dildo and won't let me open up more than one window at once for some reason.

What worries me about Righteous Kill is that it's the same director who did Pacino's last movie, 88 Minutes, and that one was just howlingly bad.

What worries me about Righteous Kill is that it's the same director who did Pacino's last movie, 88 Minutes, and that one was just howlingly bad.

Another Tyler Perry movie is being released? My god, guy makes more films than Ed Wood. Granted most of them are good, but lord does he get them out fast.

I haven't seen one ad for it on any channel.

Hey bob, just curious: how close do these estimates usually end up being to the real totals? I'd check myself, but my browser's being a dildo and won't let me open up more than one window at once for some reason.

To be honest, I don't know.

Here's the boxofficeguru predictions:

Righteous Kill 15 mil

Tyler Perry 13 mil

Burn After Reading 11 mil

The Women 11 mil

Tropic Thunder 4.5

TDK 3.5

Bangkok Dangerous 3.5

I have not seen a single Tyler Perry involved thing...no tv shows, no movies, haven't read any books, haven't seen any plays. And I'm OK with that, really. You can only see so many feel good black family comedy/dramas before getting bored with it.

Same could be said for white "feel good comedy/dramas".

I liked his plays; I never cared for his Madea movies though. I like that he stopped just taking his plays and making them in to movies, which is what I thought all he was going to end up doing, but he's actually made some good movies. I really liked Why Did I Get Married? And Daddy's Little Girls. The cast for the Family That Preys looks really good, plus Sanaa Lathan is my favorite actress, so I make it a point to check out anything she's in.

Meet The Parkers is horrible though.

What worries me about Righteous Kill is that it's a DeNiro/Pacino movie that couldn't find distribution and that DeNiro takes parts to fund his personal projects, so quality is not an issue to him.

It's not that they couldn't find a distributor. Overture Films is a new studio started this year, so looking to make a splash, they paid a lot of money to distribute it.

The film was made by a money mark studio. They fund star vehicles made on the cheap, and make money off of selling off the rights. Many of them go straight to video.

88 Minutes did not rock, IIRC.

That's what pisses me off. DeNiro and Pacino pair up for the first time, and it's directed by Jon fucking Avent? Why not make it a real "event" and get a real director? Re-team with Michael Mann, or get Peter Berg to make something splashy. Not this goof. Prior to 88 Minutes, he had been doing TV pilots and TV movies.

After seeing it's going to be on 2,000 screens I think Burn can do 13 mil.

I was interested in Righteous Kill before reading some of these reviews which make it sound a bit dubious. Probably more interested in seeing Burn After Reading, even if it is lesser Coens.

As far as Tyler Perry goes....I sorta get his appeal, but his stuff just isn't for me. It's not even a black/white thing but it's more that the couple of his movies that I've seen are so chaotic in tone that I don't really enjoy it that much. One minute it's him doing a drag act as Madea (badly to be honest), then the next it's serious subject matter like drug use. His movies are like watching a black version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High in that regard.

I haven't seen Perry outside of being Madea. Is he any good at playing a regular role?