TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Ultimate Fight Night 15: Diaz vs Neer

Alexander is done. That new contract might end up getting ripped up.

Ed Herman lost a close decision? Fuck yes. All is right with the world. Talent wasn't really that impressive but I can't really fault the decision. It was razor close.

I love how Danzig was talking before the bout that he's miles better than Clay Guida in every aspect and that he's going to knock him out in the first three minutes. Whoops. Clay Guida will have a job in the UFC for life probably.

I need to watch the main event again because I fell asleep half way through. But I did wake up for the post fight interview, just in time to hear punks and bitches and talk of a pussy champion ducking Nick. All is right with the world.

Oh and Matt Hughes' only black friend lost in the prelims. Wonder what that does for his career?

I'm seriously going to need somebody to explain the closeness that was Belcher/Herman because all I saw was Talent landing a few good shots standing while Herman was more agressive, scored takedowns at will, went for subs and even mounted him at the end.

I'm seriously going to need somebody to explain the closeness that was Belcher/Herman because all I saw was Talent landing a few good shots standing while Herman was more agressive, scored takedowns at will, went for subs and even mounted him at the end.

I gave Herman the 1st round, and Belcher the last 2 rounds. Belcher was in control for most of the last 2 rounds... He did more damage, despite Hermans last miniute rally. I wouldn't have complained if Herman had it. Tough fight to call, depends on how you score it.

I guess "damage" is a debateable point as Belcher connected with a few good shots but Herman was never in trouble or even cut/battered. To me Herman's striking, control, stuffing Belcher's only takedown attempt, sub attempts and his own takedown should count for more then a few clean shots and leg kicks.

Yet he STILL got dropped. By a wrestler.

His takedown D looked improved, but the dude's ground game is still weak as fuck, and he can't take damage nearly as well as he can dish it out.

EDIT: Adding prelim thoughts as I see them...

- McFedries did himself no favors by pretty much throwing himself into Massenzio's first takedown attempt, though he did move nicely off his back for a moment. Massenzio showed NO respect to McFedries on the ground, completely ignoring a triangle attempt before passing, getting tea-bag North-South, and finishing quickly with a Kimura. About what was expected.

- Miller/Kimmons was essentially a more prolonged version of Fickett/Neer: Kimmon's gets his back taken in a scramble, and the rest of the fight was Miller slowly working a choke in. No awesome celebration by Miller, though.

- Brilz looked good over Morris, though Morris had pretty much nothing to offer on the ground. Brilz went through about every dominant possible position, never giving Morris much a chance to breathe. He could've ended the fight much more easily with a slightly better idea of how to finish from a few positions (top-side crucifix, Matyushenko back control), but he still got the job done eventually.

- Lauzon hit a very nice kani basami into a heel hook attempt early on, though Bradley defended well and eventually made it back to his feet. Standing, Lauzon is still extremely aggressive but wanting in the technical department, and actually spent much of fight getting outboxed by Bradley, who dropped him momentarily in the first and landed good body shots throughout. He eventually wised up, shot for a takedown, and it was academic from there.

- Gouveia was largely dominated by Jensen, who was more aggressive on his feet, scored more takedowns and did a lot of damage via G&P. However, his aggressiveness eventually came back to bite him in the ass, as Gouveia finally snatched the armbar he had been looking for since early in the fight.

I guess "damage" is a debateable point as Belcher connected with a few good shots but Herman was never in trouble or even cut/battered. To me Herman's striking, control, stuffing Belcher's only takedown attempt, sub attempts and his own takedown should count for more then a few clean shots and leg kicks.

Never in trouble? Dude, Belcher rocked Herman more then once, especially in the 2nd round but never captialize on it.

OK, who should be more ashamed of their ground game - Houston Alexander or Hard Hitting Drew McFedries?

Depends on whether you think McFedries' blitzing of Kampmann or Alexander's half dozen fouls on Schafer softened either opponent up more before the respective ground "battles."

Never in trouble? Dude, Belcher rocked Herman more then once, especially in the 2nd round but never captialize on it.

And agression is a judging criteria and in this case Belcher showed hesitancy to finish when he had a guy hurt. I don't think playing it safe when he has a chance to end the fight should be lauded by judges. And even though he backed Herman up with a good punch Herman was still never in any danger of being finished. Belcher, on the other hand was caught in a d'arce and if there had been more then 20 seconds left when Herman mounted him would have been toast.

“In what was a baffling and undoubtedly rare moment for the media, Nate Diaz was short of salacious quotes about his latest win and opponent Josh Neer. Diaz’s time was limited in dropping four-letter bombs. Why? Because Nate had barely taken his seat in front of reporters at the post-fight press conference when his older brother Nick launched into a tirade that disrupted the interview and left the UFC staff with the unenviable task of keeping the Diaz clan from causing a scene. Good luck with that one. Nate abandoned the press conference as his brother shouted profanities at no one in particular, and together they took their rant into the hallway. Yes, the notorious potty-mouthed pair struck again. Maybe this was Nick’s way paying his family back for their feud with the Noons’ at EliteXC on Showtime in June. All about reciprocities in the Diaz household.”

Hate Hate HATE HATE

GSP and Gina Carano on Inside MMA tonight.

Just rewatched Diaz vs Neer 2 seconds ago. Nate's post fight mic time was edited down to about 10 seconds

I'd say the main reason for that is because one of the first words out of his mouth was a clear and blatant "Motherfucker". It was actually kinda funny.