TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Campaign 2008: Canadian Version

Having worked in the Correctional System in several different capacities, I can tell you without fear of contradiction that the average citizen does not care if prison deters criminals and their concern over rehabilitation is usually lip service at best. They want criminals to be punished and they want to be protected from them. I can guarantee you one thing, and that is that nobody serving time in a correctional facility ever committed a crime outside of the facility while they were inside. So in that respect, it's 100% effective.

How does working in the Correctional System give you a better understanding of how the average citizen thinks?

SUPPORT FOR CRIME PREVENTION AS AN APPROACH

As in 2000, Canadians prefer crime prevention over punishment as a primary goal of the criminal justice system, by a margin of two to one. The goals of deterrence and rehabilitation get even less support as a primary goal of the criminal justice system. Support for crime prevention is higher among the more educated and in Quebec, as was the case in 2000. When crime prevention is juxtaposed with law enforcement, in the context of cost-efficiency, the results are also similar, although less so in the Prairies than elsewhere in the country.

This preference for crime prevention over law enforcement becomes even more striking in the context of youth. Three in four Canadians would rather see an approach to youth crime that offers opportunities to get involved in positive activities, such as training and drug rehabilitation, than imposing tougher sentences. It is interesting to note, however, that parents themselves are somewhat more apt to advocate the law enforcement approach than non-parents.

Focus group participants echo support for a preventive approach to crime, and believe firmly that prevention (particularly early intervention focused on youth) is the only means to reduce future crime.

METHODS OF REDUCING CRIME

When asked about a variety of approaches to crime, the top four approaches advocated by Canadians involve crime prevention aimed at youth, such as literacy programs, early childhood intervention, youth recreation and improving parenting skills. Approaches involving police and prisons are last, particularly among youth, residents of Quebec and visible minorities. The lean toward law enforcement approaches is comparatively higher, however, in the Prairies and among victims of crime.

Focus group participants suggest a number of methods to reduce crime in Canada, including programs for youth (recreational, education and training), parenting programs (training and support), community-based surveillance programs, and community policing.

http://ww4.ps-sp.gc.ca/en/library/publicat...udes/index.html

And it's all well and good that no one in prisons commit crimes inside the facilities and that they're "100% effective", but that does nothing to curb crimes outside.

Large amounts of money being spent on so-called "rehabilitation" programs in the correctional system will never happen, even if the NDP got into power. One of the few areas that the majority of people agree is on crime prevention. Any politician who publicly suggests increasing funding for prison reform is cutting their own throat. The public would rebel and the opposition would instantly suggest that the money be spent on more cops on the street.

"It will never happen" is a weak argument and counter to social progress that undermines that kind of thinking.

Practices like longer sentences have never been proven to reduce recidivism (jails breed more hardened criminals anyway). The motive here is revenge, a feeling that "justice" is satisfied in part by punishing the guilty. Respectfully, I disagree and think we would have better luck rehabilitating criminals if our justice system actually emphasized rehabilitation.

I'm in favour of abolishing the prison system completely and finding alternate methods of rehabilitating criminals and helping them make restitution where that is possible, and while I accept that in many cases it isn't, and some criminals are in all probability beyond rehabilitation, they must still be treated humanely

That would be the same Omar Khadr who is on video planting landmines to kill soldiers? Awww...poor widdle terrorist.

Not sure what video your referring to. But yeah, I can't imagine why he would want to defend himself from an invading army.

I really don't understand how Harper can win in Ontario, or even have a good chunk of Ontario with all the job losses that is going on in the manufacturing sector. John Deere, Ford, GM and now Volvo is shutting down in Goederich losing 500 employees. I can pretty much tell you that the Niagara Region wont have any conservatives coming back unless the Canadian economy faulters in the next week making the loonie worthless, and jobs somehow got stable.

Not sure what video your referring to. But yeah, I can't imagine why he would want to defend himself from an invading army.

Being a citizen of one of the invading nations, it would probably be more prudent to one's survivalist instincts to not attack.

I mean, I defended that Lindh kid we picked up, but mostly because he seemed more like an idiot than a real terrorist. It's hard to see Khadr as anything less than a terrorist sympathizer since he comes from a family of terrorist sympathizers. I know you can't judge everyone on in their parents, but building landmines doesn't really help his case.

I think the Conservative guy will get re-elected here, even though we've lost a few jobs in the past year or so. There's no one else to vote for; the Liberal is some old lady from Ottawa who they just dropped in here, the NDP candidate seems like a real asshole, and the Greens are running some lady who I think might be crazy. The incumbent seems like a nice enough guy and the only one in the local debate who seemed like he knew what he was talking about, but I don't think I can vote for the Tories.

I'm leaning towards the Greens, I think, just to boost their popular vote numbers.

There is no Green Party in my riding, but we have an Independant. Port Colborne/Welland is really known for voting left and with the south tier of St. Catharines in the riding, the students at Brock University are hippies.

Last night I received a call (automated) from the CPC. Basically a one question survey asking whether I would support the 1) incumbent (Jim Prentice), 2) another party, or 3) was still undecided. Sounds like the Tories are worried about their rear flank. Although I seriously doubt it happening, a non-Tory elected in Alberta combined with the potential for zero net gains in Ontario and Quebec could be a real morale killer.

Well, considering it's Jim "DMCA Canada" Prentice, I hope you didn't press 1.

Stupid Foreigner Question: Does it cost money to be in a party in Canada? Here you just pick a party when you fill out your registration, but every party's site has this link that says "join the party" and when I click on it it's a donation form. Is everyone a non-partisan unless they donate or somesuch?

Yes, you can donate, but the tax system is set up such that you get about 75% of your donation back. I've never joined any party, since it'll close doors if I go in for government work.

Finally watched the forum from last week.

Harper is mostly a snooze, but he had some good answers around the time they got past the economic questions and got to things like his cultural funding and Afghanistan.

May was probably the strongest speaker in the room and the kind of person who would do well on likability among Americans, but she got cornered by the moderator and I think Layton about whether or not she would require that all health facilities be fully nationalized, and didn't think far ahead enough to have an answer.

Dion had a few good exchanges with Layton but loses any strength when talking to Harper. It is now, being able to see him in an environment that was not designed to make him look good, that I see how humorous Dion really must seem. Maybe it was the netstream, but he kind of looked like Chevy Chase with more hair and sounds a bit like a comedian's bad imitation of Schwarzenegger. Even though I try to like the guy, since I'd probably agree the most the platform (though May did a great job selling herself), he's kind of to politicians what Black Elvis is to celebrity impersonators. Nobody is going to mistake him for the real deal.

Layton would nearly skirt around issues in order to bring the focus back to Harper's tax cut because boy oh boy does he hate it. Bad move, since it's a bit of a one-note samba. Would have some really good moments where he would look directly into the camera and go on about policy. Probably went a bit too far when he indirectly voiced support for Obama (an American politician giving a shoutout to a Canadian politician would result in waves of outrage and attempting to fix an election by Canadians, and rightly so.)

Giles from da Bloc was there without any notions of leading the country, but was there to simply complain about Harper in his own special way. He mentioned the Quebec nation a few times, helping us all remember that just because the party adjusts to the times doesn't mean it isn't what it always has been.

Most Skillful Dodge Award: Everyone but Harper. When a question appeared asking why Canada isn't staying in Afghanistan past 2011, only Harper answered the actual question. Dion rambled about Iraq, May went on about the UN, Monsieur Québec griped about America a bit, and Layton voiced support for peace without really addressing the point.

My riding is pretty much a guaranteed Tory seat, with John Baird running.

Next time you see him around ask him why he always looks so fucking pissed off. Also, if Laureen Harper has ever made advances towards him.

Just like the Republicans in the States, the Liberals just seem to play the game better at election time. Really, the Conservatives never recovered from the Reform split and the '93 election, and the 2004 election just nine months after the merger proved they were not ready for prime time. The Grits have had their politicos in place for decades.

I'm not exactly saying this is Harper's Waterloo, especially with the Liberals' milquetoast leader and Jack Layton siphoning votes, but the Tories will be in for a rough ride if they only have a handful of MPs on the official opposition party. It might be a mirrored repeat of the '04-05 parliament.

And I don't know about where you live, but people here assume the presidential election is a foregone conclusion and are really taking an interest in the potential car-wreck here.

Still haven't seen Jim Prentice anywhere. Probably in Ontario still. I'd like for someone here to rise up and smack Rob Anders, but given Calgary's tendency to vote against their own interests, that's not going to happen.

Maxine Bernier is probably going to get stomped.

Just like the Republicans in the States, the Liberals just seem to play the game better at election time. Really, the Conservatives never recovered from the Reform split and the '93 election, and the 2004 election just nine months after the merger proved they were not ready for prime time. The Grits have had their politicos in place for decades.

I'm not exactly saying this is Harper's Waterloo, especially with the Liberals' milquetoast leader and Jack Layton siphoning votes, but the Tories will be in for a rough ride if they only have a handful of MPs on the official opposition party. It might be a mirrored repeat of the '04-05 parliament.

And I don't know about where you live, but people here assume the presidential election is a foregone conclusion and are really taking an interest in the potential car-wreck here.

Still haven't seen Jim Prentice anywhere. Probably in Ontario still. I'd like for someone here to rise up and smack Rob Anders, but given Calgary's tendency to vote against their own interests, that's not going to happen.

Maxine Bernier is probably going to get stomped.

I remember last election hearing some analyst or campaign manager type guy saying that the Conservatives always manage to screw up their chances in the last moment and underperform from expectations. And when you look at recent history, that certainly seems true:

-In 2004 the Conservatives were expected to smoke the Liberals but Martin got the minority and the Conservatives got way fewer seats than expected.

-In 2006 it was supposed to be a slam dunk for Harper due to the ongoing sponsorship scandal and people's fatigue with the Liberals, but on election night everyone was surprised at how few seats the Conservatives picked up.

-This year they've been talking about their mandate with a majority government but in the last week it seems to be falling apart to the point where they may have to fight the Liberals for a minority.

I really don't get why they've kept Harper around as leader all these years, I don't think they have a shot in hell at forming a majority government with someone like him in power. Maybe Peter MacKay though.

I really don't get why they've kept Harper around as leader all these years, I don't think they have a shot in hell at forming a majority government with someone like him in power. Maybe Peter MacKay though.

This would be a dream come true for the Liberals. Seriously why not have an opposition just split their party in two with the MacKay led conservatives and Reform Party v2.0

I'm not entirely sure who to vote for yet. ABC is pretty much the only thing in mind. I'm not especially inclined to vote Liberal for whatever reason, but here in London West, it's supposed to be a close race between Sue Barnes (Lib) and Ed Holder (Con). So I'm more likely to vote strategically for Sue, rather than otherwise, for Peter Ferguson (NDP) or Monica Jarabek (Green). I don't like the Conservative stance on C-61 (DMCA CA), and Ed Holder's debate answer of reducing carbon emissions by 20% by 2020 seemed pretty weak to me.

Apparently my sister had Monica as a high school teacher, and was accused of cheating on a test once. Not because there was any proof, but because she didn't believe my sister was capable of getting such a grade. <_< Or something like that. This is more or less what my dad told me tonight. So that kinda soured me on her. Not to mention the 2 ridiculously long roadside Green Party sign lines I saw while out driving today. Roughly 20 signs in a row down a stretch of Wonderland Rd. And another dozen, I think down Hyde Park Rd. That shit irritates me.

Well, I voted. Kinda tricky cuz I wasn't registered to vote, but my landlord came and swore for me, so it's all good.

Now to wait for the numbers to roll in. Is it true that all polls across Canada are closing at the same time, and that's when they're gonna start counting?