TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Campaign 2008: Canadian Version

Now that he's vice prime minister, he can have a cabinet member dedicated to mustache combing.

Can this thread be renamed, "CANADA: HOSTILE TAKEOVER"?

This is really quite amazing, I must add. Never knew this was possible. Very board-gamish, if you ask me. A sly move, Layton. I bet you used this move playing RISK as well.

20071019-subpage-Dion.jpg

"And that's why I'm here to teach Lisa a very valuble lesson! If things don't go your way, just complain until they do!"

"That's a pretty lousy lesson"

"Hey, I'll be a pretty lousy Prime Minister!"

20071019-subpage-Dion.jpg

"And that's why I'm here to teach Lisa a very valuble lesson! If things don't go your way, just complain until they do!"

"That's a pretty lousy lesson"

"Hey, I'll be a pretty lousy Prime Minister!"

Well played sir.

I think this is so awesome.

I *really* don't like Stephen Harper. I think it's comical as hell to see that he pushed the other parties far enough that they basically said "Dude, you're a minority, fuck you."

Not that I'm super-keen on the idea of the NDP/Liberals running the joint, but I'm kinda glad they had the balls to go through with it.

This is really quite amazing, I must add. Never knew this was possible.

More people voted for for parties that were Not Tories than voted for Tories. They're struggling to match Harper's unity without falling into an American-style two party system where you simply vote for the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, US style politics where you're presented with a Pepsi and a Coke and they both taste about the same, is the inevitable result of democracy in my cynical view. Though in a way, Canada is sort of insulated from a Democrats VS Republicans political landscape by way of one province who flatly refuses to vote for anything other than a "Fuck You All, Me First" party which always makes sure the door is open for gimmicky third parties.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while you THINK you're electing the leader of your nation, you're technically subject to the rule of that old biddy with the corgis and the colour-coordinated hats. And while you and many other Canadians may insist over and over that showing up on coins and the $20 is her only real duty, we all know that she could basically shut down your elected government and give you what she feels you deserve if she really wanted to.

That the coalition is asking Jean to pull the plug on a legitimately elected government essentially will set precedent over whether the Crown or the Canadian people really have the final word on who is running this thing. Jean will do what she feels will best endear people to the Monarchy but whichever way she goes there are going to be people who hate her guts when this thing is over. The Liberals have forced her hand with this no confidence vote.

I don't get what you're trying to say there, Jobber.

Are you seriously suggesting that, in this day and age, the Queen of England could just say "Canada is now a dictatorship", and we'd just be cool with that? Didn't Canada bring the Constitution home? Couldn't we just...change it? The Queen and her GG have been nothing more then figureheads for a hundred years, and I get a feeling the first time one of them tries to go against what the Canadian government is asking for, it'll be the last time we ask. Oh, and the GG is essentially chosen by the PM - that's right, the guy that we voted for. Yes, it's the Queen's call officially, but unofficially, she picks who the PM tells her to.

Besides that, the fact of the matter is that Harper's conservatives cannot govern effectively. As a minority government, they can be defeated on EVERYTHING, and if they can't pass bills, they can't govern. Yes, minority governments have worked before, but obviously this current parliament is not about to co-operate. Thus, there are only 2 options: Another election, or a coalition government. I'm much more willing to let the coalition have a go at it then I am to go to the polls again, and I don't really see the GG using her power here as somehow stripping Canadians of democracy.

I mean, the NDP and the Liberals were voted into their seats, weren't they? They have a right to be there, don't they? And if they decided to, they could just bring down the Conservative government and force Canada into another election by voting aganst them. But since NO ONE wants another election, why not just let them try their hand at introducing the bills for a while? I figure there'll be a real close eye kept on the parliament should they take over, and I can't imagine them doing anything stupid, because we're looking at a fucking slim majority (if that) and I can't imagine they'd piss it away.

At least, I hope not.

I voted for an independent candidate... I don't even know how I should feel about all this...

Left out. You should feel left out.

It's funny to see various peoples reactions about this. I had an elderly guy get particularly enraged about this when he noticed the headlines on a newspaper at worked and yelled "IF THIS WERE ANY OTHER COUNTRY THOSE BASTARDS WOULD BE HUNG FOR TREASON!!!."

Alberta is basically against this. It's quite funny that the majority of Albertans are pissed at this notion because their boy, Harper might get overthrown. However Alberta didn't complain when The Progressive Conservatives and The Reform/Alliance/Preston Manning Personal Fun Party joined and overthrow the Liberals on the second attempt.

I'm torn on this. While being the farthest thing from a Harper fan you could get the way this was done just seems shady.

This is where my main problem resides. Nothing to do with Harper. Nothing to do with the economy. This is something we as voters should get to decide on.

I'm torn on this. While being the farthest thing from a Harper fan you could get the way this was done just seems shady.

This is where my main problem resides. Nothing to do with Harper. Nothing to do with the economy. This is something we as voters should get to decide on, because who's to say that a Coalition will be any better? And how long do they get to govern for and who gets to overthrow them when they fuck up? Technically they're 3 parties.. but will act as a majority? Sorry that's just bullshit, IMO.

Buddy, seriously, learn what a parliamentary government system is. This is what was voted for and decided on in the last election. This is EXACTLY what was voted for and decided on in the last election. The Conservatives got a minority government, so if more MPs than the Conservative amount decide to join together then they can form the new government with permission of the GG.

Seriously, everyone who thinks this is "shady", "backdoor", "undemocratic", or "a coup" needs to learn how the Canadian government system works. We are not America - we do not vote for a Prime Minister. Less than 1% of voters voted for Harper. You vote for your MP. Read this:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/...sey/index-e.asp

Particularly this:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/...rl_gov_02-e.asp

First, don't call me "buddy". Second, I KNOW how the system works. Just because I think that it's still bullshit and that it should be changed means I don't know how it works? Right along the lines of thought that anyone who differs with the Bloc is automatically a Quebec-basher. Good times.