TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

Covering Coverage

I'm not going to deny the obvious...Her reaction to the Bush-Hitler wasn't necessarily condoning it, though the strength of her opposition to calling Obama a fascist makes it clear she liked one more than the other.

Every once in a while, someone on CNN slips their bias in, meanwhile MSNBC and Fox actually seem to encourage their people to be biased.

John Stewart put it like this. Fox News has become the hippies. CNN is now the man. And MSNBC is just a comedy central wannabe with all the teabaging jokes.

MSNBC's obsession with everything Fox News irritates me. The other night I'm channel-flipping between the game and Keith Olbermann...everytime I watched him he happened to be ripping on FNC commentators or having clips from Fox News and tearing them apart. Olbermann is a joke as a commentator, he needs to stick with sports.

It annoys me they have that guy on Sunday Night Football, honestly. Its like other sections of the NBC brand is endorsing and giving credibility to his shrill partisanship.

Olbermann's philosophy seems to be "go to war with Fox by becoming just like them."

In the last 3 years, his show has gone from an irreverent breath of fresh air that tries to balance out the right-wing dominance of cable news on a network that tried to be fair, to standard-bearer for liberal propaganda on a channel that is increasingly become known for an overall bias.

Olbermann's philosophy seems to be "go to war with Fox by becoming just like them."

In the last 3 years, his show has gone from an irreverent breath of fresh air that tries to balance out the right-wing dominance of cable news on a network that tried to be fair, to standard-bearer for liberal propaganda on a channel that is increasingly become known for an overall bias.

To be fair though this transformation can probably be blamed on MSNBC execs as much as the anchors themselves, as they have probably figured out that their ratings have gone up while becoming the left's equivelant of Fox News.

With the corporate media, it is about ratings and pretty much nothing else.

Last night, looks like this is going to be the most remembered question of Obama....

"During these first 100 days, what has surprised you the most about this office? Enchanted you the most from serving in this office? Humbled you the most? And troubled you the most?"

sad. grim. pathetic.

I expect the Obama admin to be up for this kind of foolishness, but if we are giving up an hour of network tv, it should be something that doesn't waste our time.

I had it on ABC, waiting for Lost, and ABC newsguy Charles Gipson noted Obama had1362 days left in his first term... umm, are we forgoing a re-election now? Yikes. These are supposed to be the guys that keep politicians honest.

Meanwhile, a depressing look at the media:

Watchdogs are heeling for Obama

snip

A few news outlets, notably The New York Times on April 3, have sporadically noted some similarities between the policies of Obama and Bush, especially in foreign affairs. Yet the media honeymoon continues:

• Rock-star coverage by the TV networks of the president and first lady’s tour of Europe.

• An April 12 puff piece on White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel on the front page of The Washington Post, followed two days later by a similar profile of his deputy, Mona Sutphen.

• A touching April 19 New York Times article, fed to the paper by the White House, on how the president reads 10 letters a day from ordinary citizens who write him.

Ho hum ho hum. Thank god for the internet.

Meanwhile, a depressing look at the media:

Watchdogs are heeling for Obama

That article was stupid. It's just one guy whining about how Obama gets better coverage than Bush (and there were plenty of fluff pieces about Bush the first year he was in office).

The only way you can say the media only gives Obama favorable coverage is you are being selective about which outlets you are looking at.

Um...that study YOU JUST CITED says that Obama's positive coverage is 42%.

Sure, it is higher than Bush or Clinton got, but 42% isn't an overall positive number. Since it is higher than Bush, it must be a liberal media conspiracy, though, right?

I never said anything of the sort.

Anyway, the other chuck isn't all negative, that's the smallest percentage of their results. I think we have a fairly apathetic media. The study even says the coverage is less focused on the policy agenda Obama is pushing and playing up his personality and leadership qualities.

I was assuming the reason you linked to the Politico column was because you agreed with it. His point seemed to be more partisan spin than objective media criticism. Sorry if I was being unfair.

“There’s something tragic about him too,” Klein said, referring to Krauthammer’s confinement to a wheelchair, the result of a diving accident during his first year of medical school. “His work would have a lot more nuance if he were able to see the situations he’s writing about.”

Joe Klein's take on Charles Krauthammer from the Politico article from a bit ago.

I had no idea Krauthammer is confined to a wheelchair.

The comment by Klein on the face of it is pretty horrible. Franklin Roosevelt, anyone?