TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

NFL Week 2

Guest Vitamin X

I personally think the Chiefs are a lot worse than the Rams. Even regarding last week's results.

Guest Vitamin X

I'll have to say, the Giants looked like one of the worst teams in the league last year during Week 2, and they won the fucking Super Bowl, so for all I know, the Rams could be a lot better than advertised. I definitely thought they would be better than that.

Guest דניא&#15

1. Whose big-win momentum carries through to this weekend-Chicago or Carolina?

I don't believe in game-to-game momentum, but Chicago will win the game.

2. How well will rookie Matt Ryan and a running game that left footprints on every Detroit defender perform against the best defense in the NFC last season?

Not so well. Tampa is better, they'll win.

3. Can New England circle the wagons after the most catastrophic loss in recent memory against their division rivals?

Is there anything they can't do?

4. Will the clowns that said "Anybody could shoot the lights out behind that line with those receivers!" finally realize that they're retarded?

I don't know about anybody, but Cassel is afforded a much larger margin of error than most backups, probably enough to dupe Tony Kornheiser into yelling "HE'S TAWM BRADY PART TWO!" during Monday Night Football (even though the Patriots aren't playing), but after all, it is Kornheiser. He'll eventually be exposed as a warm body as the season wears on or till Simms learns the playbook.

5. Can Cleveland rebound in a huge divisional game?

No. The Browns are just the AFC's version of the Cardinals, "EXPERTS SAY THEY MIGHT SURPRISE YA" but no, they really won't.

Guest Vitamin X

I think this year, the Cardinals will finally make the playoffs over everyone in the pathetic AFC West and they'll promptly lose in the first round in a home playoff game to some wildcard team.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Almost got stuck with the stinkin' Lions again. Can't complain about The Bears, Colts, and some gay shit in the AFC East.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
McCall beat Lennox Lewis for the world title, but during the rematch he was getting beat up and started crying as the fight went on, leading Mills Lane to stop it. Crying. During a fight. Can't make that shit up.

Now that McCall's been identified, I'm going to explain a bit on what I was getting at by bringing him up.

Athletes don't do well after a mental breakdown. In general.

I don't mean a blow-up, a fight, a drug problem, I mean a nervous breakdown. McCall went to the "Who?" file as evidenced by the post following my mentioning him. Plus, he freaked the fuck out. Look at Tyson. Yeah, I know they're boxers and this isn't boxing. Doesn't matter. QB and Heavyweight Boxer aren't too different. The public eye, the focus on the individual, the hype, the handlers, the business machine, the expectations, the raw physicality, the pressure, the concentration? A top form fighter or QB must have complete control of these things at all times, or be able to hide the fact that he does not.

Everything surrounding the Vince Young situation that I've seen and read suggests this as a mental collapse. Not a situation where he just said "Leave me the fuck alone for a couple hours."

If it were the latter, great. Back on the horse. He's injured and mentally fragile right now. Smart money shows he'll self-destruct. Mario Williams is looking better and better.

Colston's out 4-6 weeks with a thumb injury. Gross; the thumb and its various attachments are parts of the body I have totally irrational fear about getting torn up. On the bright side, Devery Hendersen gets another chance to drop everything thrown his way.

Everything surrounding the Vince Young situation that I've seen and read suggests this as a mental collapse. Not a situation where he just said "Leave me the fuck alone for a couple hours."

If it were the latter, great. Back on the horse. He's injured and mentally fragile right now. Smart money shows he'll self-destruct. Mario Williams is looking better and better.

Totally agreed. I get the sentiment out of Tennessee they're just looking for Collins to play well so they have a valid reason to dump Vince Young.

I just see this getting spun as a racial issue considering what part of the country he plays in and getting 'booed', how it's racist and so and so really good white QB would be given more of a chance. It's been clear since the combine that VY does not have the ideal cerebral makeup sought after in an NFL quarterback, and was only selected based on athletic potential.

You can say a lot of negative things about Michael Vick (Comparison as a QB selected for similar reasons), but he wasn't notoriously bad at making reads and understanding the game of football. A lot of his later failures could be attributed to the constantly shifting coaches/coordinators, wideouts with a poor work ethic, and a subpar offensive line that he consistently made look much better than it really was. Also a real fear of injury changed his willingness to take an open running lane after his first couple of seasons, making him a bit too ordinary and forcing him to throw too many touch passes (Not one of his skills).

VY consistently shows that he can't react correctly to complex defensive schemes and identify proper checkdowns, and no matter what your athletic ability you need those skills to be a successful NFL quarterback.

Mario Williams was the only player that showed up for Houston, and he looked spectacular especially considering Marvel Smith was playing better than he ever has.

The "black QB couldn't succeed in Tennessee cuz they racist" thing would be a little silly considering that the two best QBs in franchise history were both black. I haven't heard anything implying that. Someone get Stephen A. on the Budweiser Hot Seat ASAP.

Colston's out 4-6 weeks with a thumb injury. Gross; the thumb and its various attachments are parts of the body I have totally irrational fear about getting torn up. On the bright side, Devery Hendersen gets another chance to drop everything thrown his way.

This sucks, but it finally means Meachem will get a chance to play. And I love Devery.

Was bored and decided to look at the defenses of Super Bowl Champions from 1985 - 2007. Regular season numbers only and yards are per game totals.

- Only 6 teams allowed more than 100 yards rushing. The 2006 Colts allowed 173 rushing yards per game

- Only 8 teams allowed more than 300 total yards per game (1987 Redskins, 1994 49ers, 1995 Cowboys, 1998 Broncos, 2001 Patriots, 2004 Patriots, 2006 Colts, and 2007 Giants)

- Only 2 teams allowed fewer than 160 yards passing. The 2002 Buccaneers (97 rushing) and 2006 Colts (173 rushing)

- Only 4 teams had fewer than 30 turnovers on defense (1993 Cowboys, 1995 Cowboys, 2006 Colts, and 2007 Giants)

- Only 5 teams had more than 40 turnovers on defense (1985 Bears, 1986 Giants, 1991 Redskins, 2000 Ravens, and 2003 Patriots)

The "Worst" Super Bowl Defenses

- 1995 Dallas Cowboys (316 total yards and 25 TO)

- 2006 Indianapolis Colts (332 total yards and 26 TO)

- 2007 New York Giants (305 total yards and 25 TO)

Note: The 1987 Redskins had 34 TO and the 2001 Patriots had 35 TO

The "Best" Super Bowl Defenses

- 1985 Chicago Bears (258 total yards and 54 TO)

- 1992 Dallas Cowboys (246 total yards and 31 TO)

- 2000 Baltimore Ravens (248 total yards and 49 TO)

- 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (253 total yards and 38 TO)

The Colts regular season numbers from that year are really skewed because Bob Sanders didn't play the regular season. When he played in the playoffs it totally changed their run defense. I attribute that playoff run entirely to his impact on their defensive performance.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply the racist crap is already happening, or that it's true. But look at that Donovan McNabb crap before.

I think this year, the Cardinals will finally make the playoffs over everyone in the pathetic AFC West and they'll promptly lose in the first round in a home playoff game to some wildcard team.

That's impressive to win a division you're not in... :P

In regards to Vince Young...this is really bizarre on all fronts. I didn't get that Jags game in my area, but from watching the score it seemed like the exact sort of defensive struggle that was anticipated. Young may have made some mistakes but the Jags have a good defense....did fans think he would go for 320 yards and 4 TDs? I don't get why fans would boo him when they did at least win the game. Seems like they were wrong to boo and Young is now completely overreacting and taking it too hard.

I highly doubt that the fans booing is the only thing going on if the guy's freaking out this heavily. Deeper-seated problems at work, for sure.

As for Brian Griese, I can't believe he's been in the league for a decade already. The role of journeyman quarterback/career back-up is one of my favorite little aspects of the NFL.

Let's compare VY to Steve McNair, since that seems to be the popular thing-

I will combine McNair's first two years together (as he only played 13 games, starting 6 or so total in that span)

Steve McNair Year 1/2: 129/223 for 1,766 yards, 9 TDs and 5 INTs. He averaged a 86.1 passer rating during that span. He also carried the ball 42 times for 207 yards and 2 TDs, he also fumbled 10 times.

In McNair's third year, his first full season as starting QB of the now Tennessee Oilers: 216/415 for 2,665 yards and 14 TDs and 13 INTs, garnering a 70.4 rating. He also carried 101 times for 674 yards, 8 TDs and he also fumbled 16 times.

Vince Young's first year, 15 games played (13 started): 184/357 for 2,199 yards, 12 TDs and 13 INTs, getting a 66.7 passer rating. He carried the ball 83 times for 552 yards, 7 TDs and 12 fumbles.

Last year, in his first season as a full time starter: 238/382 for 2,546 yards, 9 TDs and 17 INTs for a 71.1 rating. He carried the ball 93 times for 395 yards and 3 TDs. He also fumbled 10 times.

What all this means, I don't know. Similar?

Next USC #55...

McNair didn't start until year 3 and he was 24 years old at the time largely sitting on the bench for 2 years.

Year 1, he threw 27-27-26 passes in his 3 games. In Year 2 he never threw more than 18 passes but for 2 games (37 and 24) and even then only played in 8. In Year 3 when he started, McNair threw the ball more than 29 times in only 4 games. McNair had the luxury of sitting behind Chris Chandler in 1995 and 1996.

Young gets drafted and is largely touted as the "Savior" of the Titans before he's even played a game. He gets thrown into the fire in Week 2 on and asked to throw a ton of passes when everyone and their mother could tell you that isn't his strong point (He had 5 games with 29+ attempts). He had 7 INT in 3 of those games.

Young's second year when asked to throw 30+ times he ends up throwing 9 INT in those 5 games.

The more apt comparison I would make to Vince Young would be a guy like David Carr or Joey Harrington. Essentially a QB asked to carry a team from year 1 on with high expectations that they could turn around the franchise in 3-4 seasons.

I have seen every Titans game since 99. The crowd wasn't booing him because he's black. The were booing him because he is not a good QB. By the time you are in your 3rd year in the NFL you should be expected to at least have a positive TD:INT ratio. No way will Young get there for a while. The Titans won last year with VY as QB, but they probably would have been much better with Collins behind center. Young does not have the smarts or toughness to compete in the NFL. Comparing him to McNair at this point is an insult to Steve.

Young does not have the smarts or toughness to compete in the NFL.

Which brings back into question the 6 that Young managed on the Wonderlic coming out of college. At the time the results were basically disregarded aside from a bit of mocking on boards like this one. Now it appears that the Titans should have paid more attention to it.

Eventually a quarterback runs out of excuses no matter if the problems with the team are real or not. He's in a dangerous place right now as a quarterback where one more bad game and fan ripping and you could be looking at shell-shocked Vince Young. He might end up on the Texans soon after all cause I can really see him being on the trading block for the draft time next year. His next game will really determine what happens to Vince and after breaking down on the sidelines, I don't know if Coach Fisher will even risk sending him back out there.

Fisher wants to win. If he doesn't believe Young can handle the mental load, which obviously right now he cannot, then he has to pull the trigger on ending Vince. It's sad but oh well, welcome to quarterback in the NFL.

Next USC #55...

McNair didn't start until year 3 and he was 24 years old at the time largely sitting on the bench for 2 years.

Umm.. read my post again. I mentioned all this... well not the bench part but when I say he only started 6 games in the first two years, that's naturally assumed. That's why I combined his first two years, because those two years can give you a better comparison to VY's one rookie year.

And Vince Young was 24 when he first assumed full time starting role.

Young does not have the smarts or toughness to compete in the NFL.

Which brings back into question the 6 that Young managed on the Wonderlic coming out of college. At the time the results were basically disregarded aside from a bit of mocking on boards like this one. Now it appears that the Titans should have paid more attention to it.

Given his struggles with digesting the playbook, I've read rumors that there may be a learning disability here too.

For those curious... here are other QB wonderlic scores.

Alex Smith: 40

Aaron Rodgers: 39

Eli Manning: 39

Akili Smith: 37 (2nd Try IIRC) and 15 (1st Try)

Drew Bledsoe: 37

Tom Brady: 33

Steve Young: 33

Joey Harrington: 32

Philip Rivers: 30

Matt Schaub: 30

Tony Romo: 30

Rex Grossman: 29

Marc Bulger: 29

Troy Aikman: 29

Drew Brees: 28

Kyle Boller: 27