TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Defend a game nobody likes

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. C: The Contra Adventure isn't a bad game. It's clunky, I admit, and the 3D controls aren't very good. But I still like it. It was a Playstation game. P S One. They were still learning how to get 3D right. People still talk about Tomb Raider 1 like it was a good game and its controls blew ass.

Discuss, and add your own defenses of frequently maligned games.

Yoshi's Story. Gayest game ever made, perhaps, but definitely a solid, legit mario branch.

Fuck that. That game ruled.

Indeed. My cousin rented it. I beat it 3 times. I then went to K-Mart and bought it.

I still remember the theme song.

I got Yoshi's Story for Easter one year and it took me a few days to realize just how disappointed I was with it.

I don't think people actively dislike this game, but sometimes it seems like I'm the only person out there who LOVED Excitetruck for the Wii.

People seem to be down on the 3D Sonic games, but I actually enjoy the cheesy scenes and dialouge. Plus the action is still pretty sweet.

Orphin or whatever it was called. It was an early PS2 game based on a japanese anime charatcer. It was an RPG hybrid. It got horrible reviews but I really enjoyed it.

People seem to be down on the 3D Sonic games, but I actually enjoy the cheesy scenes and dialouge. Plus the action is still pretty sweet.

SA and SA2 haven't gotten too many bad reviews when they came out, IIRC.

Sonic Heroes was mixed, but I liked that. Was great to have Metal Sonic as a villain again and the team dynamic was unique for a Sonic game. Plus, no stupid "Hunt for Emeralds/Keys" missions from the two Sonic Adventure titles.

Heck, for the time I had it, I kinda enjoyed "Shadow the Hedgehog" too. First off, I didn't think of it as a Sonic game, but an attempted spin-off (something most reviewers seem to have trouble with). You know, like how a Wario game shouldn't necessarily play exactly like a Mario game. But I also liked the branching paths, with multiple different ways to beat a level. Lots of replayability.

Yeah, I should've clarified...really meant the later games (Heroes, Shadow, the strangely-named "Sonic the Hedgehog" from a couple years ago). I believe there's another one that's supposed to come out soon.

I don't know about how Sonic '06 plays, but

I have something against any game that you play through it and in the end, everything is erased and never happened. I don't hold Super Mario Bros. 2 in that category because I'm thinking Mario was only MEANT to think it was just a dream, but it really happened.

I don't know about how Sonic '06 plays, but

I have something against any game that you play through it and in the end, everything is erased and never happened. I don't hold Super Mario Bros. 2 in that category because I'm thinking Mario was only MEANT to think it was just a dream, but it really happened.

Eh, Sands of Time and similar cases I think should get a pass in that regard (since that's a part of the premise and still influences the rest of the series--story-wise).

My choices:

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness - often unfairly lumped in with Castlevania (n64). Yes, it's basically the same game engine, storyline, levels, and some of the same characters. However, CV64 is like a beta of LoD, one rushed out to meet holiday deadlines. LoD has much improved controls, levels, camera, and the added characters have some cool and unique play styles. It's more of an action/adventure than a full-on action game, though.

The PS2 games have little going for them other than Michiru's music, though.

Final Fight: Streetwise - The gaming media decided to hate this one long before it came out. Yeah, it's relatively low budget. Yes, it has rap. Yes, there's some swearing. No, you don't play as Cody, Guy, or MIKE ****ING HAGGAR in the main game mode. Yes, the emulation of Final Fight 1 is so awful, it's like you're controlling Final Fight 300 miles away on an arcade system that people are shooting footage of and said footage is being sent back to playing out your console in grainy FMV. Yes, the arcade-style 3D beat 'em up mode is absolutely broken and impossible.

Getting past all that, you find a story mode with all of the over-the-top ridiculousness you'd expect, just set in a more "gritty" setting. You stop on rat-sized cockroaches, beat punks in the face with everything from pipes to brass knucks, hack up katana-wielding schoolgirl gang members, blast glowing drug zombies in the face with FREAKING SHOTGUNS, and all hell breaks out near the end of the game with fires, explosions, and dead old baddies coming at you with a vengeance. The fight mechanics are quite good as well, simple but effective like God Hand's.

Rumble Roses XX - There are reasons to dislike and disparage this game, indeed. This game will give Achievement whores blue balls in a major way. The unlocks are a pain in the ass, due to randomness as to how winning titles/title shots work. The first game's awesomely stupid story mode has been excised for a bland set of matches without a set storyline of having matches until you get a title shot, winning, defending, and that's it. However, the game's mechanics are as solid as they were on PS2, and despite arcadey feel and the sleaziness of it all, the control is really tight and the collision detection is much better than the twitchy, clippy, flip-floppy mess than are the typical Smackdown games.

Plus, no stupid "Hunt for Emeralds/Keys" missions from the two Sonic Adventure titles.

I honestly don't get why people hate these things so much, at least in the first game. SA1's hunts were super easy and you could finish some in 30 seconds or less if you were lucky. The annoying parts were in SA2, where they were still easy, but your radar would only alert you to an item in an arbitrary order. If a shard was designated as the second one that the radar would detect, it wouldn't tell you you were near one (although it was still possible to dig them up if you took wild guesses in a familiar hiding spot). If you were actually going for the good ranks you'd be pulling your hair out and restarting a lot. I've heard the Pumpkin Hill rap theme haunt me in my nightmares.

Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3, 360, and surely a port to whatever game console you're forced to play in hell) - OTOH, I think this is how you separate a plain ol' Sonic fan from a raving, deranged lunatic Sonic fan who should be locked away in an asylum and/or chemically castrated. Only the latter could seriously defend the game. I never deleted the demo off my hard drive, just to remind me what truly abysmal, broken 3D game/camera design is before I bash a game for that.

I believe there's another one that's supposed to come out soon.

There's always at least one. In this case, there's 3.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood for DS (aka Sonic and his Shitty Friends RPG ; it's the Bioware game, should be good)

Sonic Unleashed for Wii, 360, and PS3 (aka Sonic and his shitty werehog transformation, which looks to be sinking an otherwise promising game)

Sonic and the Black Knight for Wii (sequel to Secret Rings, with waggling sword action)

I'll say The Bouncer. Yes it was overhyped to hell and yes it didn't make any damn sense, but I found the different fighting styles of the main characters was enough reason to play it enough to fully develop all three of them. Plus, the graphics were actually pretty good for an early (release date, or near to it I think) PS2 release. I enjoyed playing it.

I'll say The Bouncer. Yes it was overhyped to hell and yes it didn't make any damn sense, but I found the different fighting styles of the main characters was enough reason to play it enough to fully develop all three of them. Plus, the graphics were actually pretty good for an early (release date, or near to it I think) PS2 release. I enjoyed playing it.

Bouncer was essentially Square's PS2 debut (Driving Emotion was from an offshoot studio) and actually looked like it, character-wise. I kind of hated it, too, because a) it was a pretty pathetic showing for Square considering what I was playing on Dreamcast, like Power Stone, Berserk and even Dynamite Cop). b) Also, I wanted it to be a game loosely based on Roadhouse, and it wasn't. :P

The original Brave Fencer Musashi was a cool little action-rpg game, but it was sadly just a free game included with the FFVIII demo. <_< However, when it finely got a sequel it was...pretty terrible.

You know what else? I LOVE Friday the 13th for NES. Walking around, exploring cabins and caves and forests. Day, evening, night. Oh shit, gotta get the kids before time runs out. Get to the cabin - no, I'm going the wrong way! Turn around, there it is! OK, where is he? He's not there, turn, he's not there, turn HOLY FUCK IT'S JASON. Beat him, leave. Start walking, wait, why are the zombies walking away from me? OH SHIT HE'S BACK AND HE'S AS FAT AS BIG VAN VADER! And the music in the cabins is freakin' great. So calm and serene but also creepy. It's like proto-Resident Evil. Early survival horror. They should make a new RE-style Jason game where he's the only enemy, but he stalks you everywhere like the Nemesis. It doesn't matter if the game is good. Survival horror is the one genre where a game can be funny-bad and you can still enjoy it.

As a child, I didn't get what was happening in the Friday the 13th game. I got lost a lot and didn't know who or what Jason was. All those poor camp counselors... I like it because I know what is going on.

I like Mortal Kombat: Deception. I like the Adventure mode because it's fun to run around and unlock things. The fighting game is pretty good. I think it's a decent game.

Superman 64

This is listing a game title, not defending a game.

I implore you, defend this thing, because I cannot think of a single positive aspect about it.

Rival Schools!

Not as bad, but come on--give us a little more content, Eric.

WCW Nitro for the Playstation had a large roster. It also had commentary, realistic looking wrestlers, and full motion video. There is nothing like Sting powerbombing Hogan 20 times and then putting the Scorpion Death Lock on him. All the submission moves in the game would lead to tap outs.

Also, the game had run ins. WCW/nWo World Tour didn't have these things.

WCW Nitro for the Playstation had a large roster. It also had commentary, realistic looking wrestlers, and full motion video. There is nothing like Sting powerbombing Hogan 20 times and then putting the Scorpion Death Lock on him. All the submission moves in the game would lead to tap outs.

Also, the game had run ins. WCW/nWo World Tour didn't have these things.

Didn't that game have both the red and yellow and the nWo Hogan as well as both the surfer Sting and the crow Sting?

Never played it, but I remember seeing something like that in a game guide a friend of mine had for the game, and just making sure that I'm not imagining things.

WCW vs. The World was the first of the AKI-engine based American wrestling games. that's the one you're thinking of, Chris.

Though, in both World Tour and Revenge, those outfits were available as alternate outfits for both men.

I've sunk way too many hours into Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour for the DS. Like any YGO game it wraps a thin RPG veneer around a series of card battles, but it's one of those games where you can come up with challenges for yourself after you're done. Can I win 15 battles in a row without a loss?

WCW Nitro...I bought that game...took back that same day.

Edited to be relevant to my experience.

It had nice graphics, those funny/stupid rants, an evil Santa with a Diamond Cutter, and the Y-M-C-A taunt in a disco-themed arena, though.

Also...BIG BACK HITS