TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Defend a game nobody likes

Superman 64

This is listing a game title, not defending a game.

I implore you, defend this thing, because I cannot think of a single positive aspect about it.

It's neat that they gave it three level variants - the first level where you're shooting things on what looks like a level design from Outrun looks pretty cool. The side-scrolling level where everything pushes you back half a screen is pretty annoying though.

PS1 WCW Games

Andrew mentioned some pretty silly elements from Nitro that made it an amusing diversion. When I rented the game I was quite content to make people dance and wrestle in an arena full of mirrors. The "Run-In" button was kind of a neat idea (and very appropriate for a WCW game).

Thunder, while awful, had those really, really funny wrestler videos. Another amusing diversion. I also remember that you could change everyone's faction alliance with the press of a button before a match - another neat idea that would have been well suited to a better game.

WCW Mayhem was just as unfun to play as Thunder and Nitro, but by making it a more "serious" game in an attempt to make it better than the above failures, the only things that made the prior two games fun were removed. Having really bad matches on purpose so Heenan would start a boring chant was pretty funny, though.

Superman 64

This is listing a game title, not defending a game.

I implore you, defend this thing, because I cannot think of a single positive aspect about it.

It's neat that they gave it three level variants - the first level where you're shooting things on what looks like a level design from Outrun looks pretty cool. The side-scrolling level where everything pushes you back half a screen is pretty annoying though.

That's the Commodore 64 version of Superman.

I think the one mentioned was the Nintendo 64 version of Superman, which was a LOT different.

I don't know what the general opinion of ECW: Anarchy Rulz is/was, but I was rather amused by all the wrestlers walking like they'd shat themselves, the WIDE range of match stipulations and enormous amounts of blood available once you'd picked up a weapon. So what if the storyline arc made no sense, and to get a tag team title shot you had to beat teams like Heyman & someone I can't remember, which you never actually got to wrestle?

Guest Smues

I loved WWF Warzone and Attitude. I admit it. I liked that you got boo'd for using the same moves over and over, and that high charisma got the crowd to cheer for you easier and give you a damage boost. And the commentary was good too. At least it was for Warzone, I wasn't a huge fan of Shane in Attitude. But having commentary from Vince fucking McMahon in a video game was awesome.

Edit: And apparantly some people hate on Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Absolutely loved that game, as I mentioned in another thread. The classic Star Wars soundtrack + variety of things to do including taking out Imperial Walkers on Hoth and blasting the shit out of Storm Troopers in FPS mode = teh win. I really need to get my N64 shipped up here just for that and the WWE games.

Tekken 4 - It was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. It did a solid job implementing enclosed stages, added a really deep wall game and added the concept of just frames. Yeah, Jin is broken, but that doesn't affect you unless you're playing tournaments. And you could always just not do JFLS.

Suikoden 4 - It's not amazing, but it's not terrible either. The random enemy encounters weren't nearly as annoying as all the reviews said, since the battles were fast. Forgettable, yeah, but not a bad way to kill 40 hours.

I actually liked Castlevania on the N64. Can't compare to the earlier versions, but it was fun enough as a standard early 3D RPG. I loved killing the jobber skeletons.

I also really loved the Shenmue games, especially the first on Dreamcast. The voice acting left something to be desired, but it was really interactive and the fighting parts were a lot of fun.

Devil May Cry 2 isn't THAT bad. It has a lot of good action sequences, lots of stuff blowing up, absurdly huge boss battles, and even a few trademark Dante quips to get your blood pumping. Even without the original’s level of satisfyingly difficult stages, it still manages to keep you playing till the end, even if the end comes far sooner than one might expect. Besides, no one can blame Capcom for not listening to their fans; they’ve addressed a few different complaints about the original. Namely, the lack of a second playable character.

I hate to bring up another wrestling game but I liked Legends of Wrestling 2. I liked having 4 on 4 matches with random wrestlers. Career mode was alright. The interviews in the game were great.

Showdown:LoW sucked.

This.

The only redeeming quality of WCW/nWo Thunder is the stable system. I enjoyed experimenting with the stable alignments to see how the game changed the wrestlers ring attire. A Raven's Flock-aligned Hollywood Hulk Hogan in Blue and Black gear looked badass. Plus you haven't lived until you've played Thunder in 1080p on a PS3. The game actually doesn't look too bad when all the jagged polys are smoothed-out.

The only redeeming quality of WCW/nWo Thunder is the stable system. I enjoyed experimenting with the stable alignments to see how the game changed the wrestlers ring attire. A Raven's Flock-aligned Hollywood Hulk Hogan in Blue and Black gear looked badass. Plus you haven't lived until you've played Thunder in 1080p on a PS3. The game actually doesn't look too bad when all the jagged polys are smoothed-out.

...Blue and Black Hollywood Hogan!?

If possible, think you could take a screenshot of that? I'm curious now.

...Blue and Black Hollywood Hogan!?

If possible, think you could take a screenshot of that? I'm curious now.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow afternoon.

The vast majority of reviews I've seen for DMC hail it as a great game. It doesn't really apply here.

I forgot to add the 2 in my review. It's the worst of the DMC series.

On the other hand, if you're talking about Devil May Cry 2.......

Thanks for pointing my error. I fixed it.

For the person who asked, I was finally able to spend about 10 God-Forsaken minutes with WCW/nWo Thunder earlier today taking these pics of the various changes in appearance for Hulk Hogan, depending on what stable you align him with. This is with the 1080p firmware update, so the game looks a little less crappy than normal. Enjoy!

Hogans.jpg

nWo Black and White - standard nWo Hogan attire with shredded tank top

nWo Red and Black - same as above, but the white parts are red

WCW - same as nWo Black and White, but without the tank top

Four Horsemen - same as WCW

Raven's Flock - black tights with black lightning bolts, "I am The Man" tank top, black knee pads with blue trim, black boots with blue trim and lightning bolts. Actually a decent look for Hogan.

Guest Smues

The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants. I understand the hate for this, but even as a kid I enjoyed the hell out of this one. The plot makes no sense, and as a kid just beating the first level was a chore (figuring out what the fuck you had to do wasn't the easiest thing in the world. Spray purple shit red? Huh?) but the music is good, the game is colorful, lots of characters from the show pop up in various places, and it's challenging enough to keep me interested.