TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Aronofsky's "The Wrestler"

That one's great, but this is my favorite:

205-Premiere_The_Wrestler_LA.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.JPG

Mickey Rourke, fashion plate. The pocket square brings it all together. Rachel Weisz also looks like she could be shouting some Wu-Tang lyrics or something.

I can't even tell if it's coming to Houston. I figured the Angelicka would carry it next Friday or something.

January 16th, according to foxsearchlight.com. Took me a few minutes to find it though.

I honestly would've thought that Toronto would get this.. even at one of the "revue" cinemas. We've gotten almost everything else that Aronofsky has done.. bizarre! :(

The movie's pretty depressing. A lot of people in the theater were laughing at some very awkward moments in the film and cracked up during a lot of the smark dialouge. Some moments were cringe worthy as well. I'm gonna be quiet now and say it's a very good film just for Rourke's performance and wrestling fans will definatley like it.

I can't even tell if it's coming to Houston. I figured the Angelicka would carry it next Friday or something.

January 16th, according to foxsearchlight.com. Took me a few minutes to find it though.

The 16th? Fuck that shit. I want some culture NOW dammit!

The movie's pretty depressing. A lot of people in the theater were laughing at some very awkward moments in the film and cracked up during a lot of the smark dialouge. Some moments were cringe worthy as well. I'm gonna be quiet now and say it's a very good film just for Rourke's performance and wrestling fans will definatley like it.

SELLING POINT~!!!

The picture of Aronofsky doing the Diamond Cutter hand gesture with DDP is hilarious. It's also good seeing Lex Luger walking again, last time I heard he wasn't doing too well.

I saw THE WRESTLER yesterday with a friend. I must say that Mikey Rourke needs to win the Oscar after seeing his performance, he carried the movie. I would give it a solid 3 stars, but it is a very, very depressing film. It would be hard to say I loved the movie. It is very true to the wrestling profession, and I liked that there were real wrestlers in the film. It was great of the indy feds, ROH, CZW and others to allow the filmmakers in. Marisa Tomei was AMAZING in her performance and she was smockin' HOTTTT. It's worth a watch, but don't plan on being happy with yourself afterwards. I told my friend I am going to have a hard time watching wrestling after watching the movie.

On a side note, it was funny to sit next this woman who seems to never have seen a wrestling match. During the wrestling scenes, whenever Rourke was hit she would give a good "oh," "oh my," "ow." I almost lost it at times because of that.

I honestly would've thought that Toronto would get this.. even at one of the "revue" cinemas. We've gotten almost everything else that Aronofsky has done.. bizarre! :(

Oh, scratch that. I just saw trailers for it on CP24/CTV that it opens Dec 25th. So, we must be getting it up here at one of the bigger theatres! Hooray for having something to do on Xmas day!!! :D

Not till January 9th in the Philly area apparently.

Is it going to be a "Ritz" only movie, or is it going to be at more theaters in the area?

It will be in all the regular theaters from what I've read.

Oh, scratch that. I just saw trailers for it on CP24/CTV that it opens Dec 25th. So, we must be getting it up here at one of the bigger theatres! Hooray for having something to do on Xmas day!!! :D

When I went to Toronto last weekend, someone on the train was reading a paper (that looked like The Sun) with a large ad for the film with all this award bragging, so I just naturally assumed it was playing somewhere in the city. I was sad that it was not.

Anyhow, from today's F4W Newsletter:

"[Vince] got his private screening of the movie this week. I don't know what he said to Aranofsky immediately after the film ended, or what he told him to his face, but apparently his private reaction was such that "the word negative isn't strong enough to describe Vince's reaction." One person noted, "No surprise because Vince's vision of the 2008 image of wrestling and even fading stars directly contradicts what The Wrestler accurately portrays." Others who know him knew going in that this was the kind of movie he was going to abhor."

I guess a melodramatic reflection of the truth can hurt.

What does Vince think will happen to guys who rely on painkillers for in some cases years to make it through a brutal travel and work schedule, have no training in how to deal with the money and lifestyle that frequently goes with being a professional wrestler, and all too often end up with no money and broken down by their late 40s? Vince oughta be glad the movie doesn't end with Randy dropping dead of a heart attack in the middle of the ring. At least, I HOPE the movie doesn't end with Randy dropping dead of a heart attack in the middle of the ring.

Its the least shocking thing in the world that Vince hates this movie, since it exposes the wrestling business for what it is and shows the troubles a wrestler goes through, while Vince wants everyone to believe it is a happy business and everyone lives fine.

Its the least shocking thing in the world that Vince hates this movie, since it exposes the wrestling business for what it is and shows the troubles a wrestler goes through, while Vince wants everyone to believe it is a happy business and everyone lives fine.

Agreed. I really can't believe anyone would think Vince's reaction to this would be anything but negative. I fully expect them to try and "bury" the film on their programming, whether it be through commentary or trotting out some legends to give the appearance they are doing much better than depicted.