TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Aronofsky's "The Wrestler"

It's finally playing near me this weekend. I honestly didn't expect to see it until Feb but the local theater here is having basically an Oscar weekend with a lot of the films that hadn't made it here finally getting their play.

I saw the movie tonight, with maybe about 9 other people in the theater (theater that shows movies that aren't playing in big screen theaters + late Thursday night = no one there) and the movie was so fantastic. It was such a great movie and the ending was what really just caught me. Movie of the year, hands down.

How did the other 9 or so people react to the movie? Good or bad reception?

I saw the movie tonight, with maybe about 9 other people in the theater (theater that shows movies that aren't playing in big screen theaters + late Thursday night = no one there) and the movie was so fantastic. It was such a great movie and the ending was what really just caught me. Movie of the year, hands down.

How did the other 9 or so people react to the movie? Good or bad reception?

about 5 or 6 of them were in a group, they seemed to enjoy the movie, though I couldn't tell if they were wrestling fans or not. another 2 were this Asian couple, who both seemed to enjoy the movie. I assume the guy is a wrestling fan but his girlfriend wasn't, however she seemed really into the ending, talking about it even in the lobby. This one guy with bleached hair was either a mark (not a Smark) or wasn't a wrestling fan at all as he seemed to laugh about just about everything wrestling related but he stayed until the credits ended.

Overall it seemed everyone really enjoyed the movie, especially the Asian girlfriend.

I saw the movie this evening and enjoyed it. I will back up what others have said: it's an OK movie in and of itself, but the acting definitely outshines the movie. But I'm a wrestling fan, so there's that "soft spot" connection we all most likely have.

I also want to echo the experience that there were times when people in the theater laughed at moments that when you think about it, really weren't meant to be funny (like when Randy's working...not the parts that are obviously intended to lighten the mood, but just the "going through the motions" aspect of his work).

I think the women in Randy's life treat him like shit, ESPECIALLY Cassidy/Pam. When Randy turns the tables on her at the end (the whole "customer/not customer" deal, when he storms out of the bar), I thought she totally had it coming. And she doesn't redeem herself, either, in my opinion.

I'm more mixed on Stephanie. We're only seeing Randy's side of the pain, so it's hard to judge her as absolutely as Cassidy/Pam can be judged, IMO.

One thing that stuck in my mind was how exactly did Randy fall from grace? On the one hand, does it matter? All we need to know is that he did. But on the other hand, if he was the Hulk Hogan of his time, how seriously did he have to screw up to reach the point he did?

I find it interesting that the promoters were all painted as good guys watching out for Randy (as were all the guys in the locker room). Obviously there are pieces of crap out there...or was Aronofsky trying to convey the idea of Piper's "fraternity"?

Real quick aside: I don't follow RoH, so who's Green Lantern guy? My friend commented on him being in the movie with "Oh, look, it's that asshole Green Lantern fan."

One thing that stuck in my mind was how exactly did Randy fall from grace? On the one hand, does it matter? All we need to know is that he did. But on the other hand, if he was the Hulk Hogan of his time, how seriously did he have to screw up to reach the point he did?

I find it interesting that the promoters were all painted as good guys watching out for Randy (as were all the guys in the locker room). Obviously there are pieces of crap out there...or was Aronofsky trying to convey the idea of Piper's "fraternity"?

Most likely he did what every other "big name" from the 70's and 80's did and that was spend their money and not save any. It's actually really really common.

I'd honestly say now a days there aren't a lot of "scum" promoters. A lot has changed in pro wrestling and most promoters are pretty good to the ones they work closely with, and their especially good to the ones who can sell them tickets.

One quick thing I'd like to note, a friend of mine who isn't a wrestling fan, and to my knowledge never was, told me she liked the movie so much that she now wants to attend a live pro wrestling show. This movie is going to do a lot of good things for the wrestling business.

So, a couple Golden Globes and Oscar Nominations and suddenly the WWE doesn't mind attaching itself to a little Wrestler publicity, because we were all waiting with baited breath what Mark Henry thought.

WWE.COM Reviews The Wrestler

Real quick aside: I don't follow RoH, so who's Green Lantern guy? My friend commented on him being in the movie with "Oh, look, it's that asshole Green Lantern fan."

He's just an annoying guy that somehow gets front row seats to almost any show he attends. He used to always wear Green Lantern shirts, but he stopped for a while. I think he busted out a Green Lantern jersey for The Wrestler just to be recognized on film by smarks and it worked. Now, he usually wears ugly sweats or Bryan Danielson shirts. He goes to shows with a stop watch, times the matches and then posts the match times on message boards for some reason. He's not just limited to ROH though. You can see him in a bunch of East Coast feds. I sat behind him at a Chikara show once. He didn't like that one of my friends cursed, so he turned around and yelled at us "YOU KNOW THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW!". Meanwhile, we were in the ECW Arena, where everybody was being rowdy. His own crew told him to shut up and he sat quiet looking like a crybaby over it for the rest of the night. He's calmed down over the years, but he was a huge dick back in the day, just being loud, condescending, heckling a lot of wrestlers, ruining segments by trying to get himself over, that sort of thing. A shit load of wrestlers and fans would berate him for it, Steve Corino especially. People also think he's a big dork because he supposedly had the audacity to propose to somebody at a fucking RAW in the nineties, and was turned down. There was also a story about wrestlers being super pissed because he showed up at Chris Candido's wake uninvited as if he knew the guy.

He also wears a button up flame shirt. That shit isn't even excusable anymore for teens much less grown men.

GLF is also know for:

Offline, he has:

-Proposed to his fiance (they're still "engaged" after almost 13 years) live on the air at a Monday Night Raw taping at the Manhattan Center.

-Physically attacked other fans over disparaging comments made on pro wrestling message boards. (!)

-Gone to Chris Candido's wake and hovered around in a creepy manner so he could be around his favorite pro wrestling fighters.

-Been visible at many Raw tapings and ROH shows almost stopping his stopwatch for every near fall

-Tried to grandstand and attempt to fight pro wrestling fighter Super Dragon. (Dragon was so annoyed by this that he has taken bumps into Mr. Lantern in an attempt to injure him.)

-Wandered from car to car on a Long Island Railroad train asking if anyone had WWF MSG tickets that they would sell to him.

-Dressed in drag as "The Green Lantern Fag" for Jersey All-Pro Wrestling.

-Cut to the front of the line (which only those involved in the show were doing otherwise) in the freezing weather at Chelsea Pier at an ROH show.

-Been mocked in a shoot interview by Steve Corino.

-Been mocked at an independent pro wrestling event by Scott Hall.

-Tried to get valet Jade Chung to talk to him during matches.

-Tried to hug Bryan Danielson after his ROH title win.

-Cried after Jamie Noble's ROH farewell speech.

-Cried at Hardcore Homecoming when a pro wrestling fighter hugged him.

-Cried on camera at ECW One Night Stand:

=======================================

It's a constant drip of spectacular world-class douchery. Besides the above, he:

-Constantly sent instant messages to WWE developmental pro wrestling fighter CM Punk, in spite of being constantly ignored.

-Lied and claimed that Punk told him he was fine with the wake incident.

-Lied and made a big fuss over saying that he would never go to a show promoted by Rob Feinstein after the Perverted Justice scandal.

-Has made various statements that indicate he thinks he is one of the workers on the show.

-Posted at length about how he was strongly considering flying to Calgary to spend time with Teddy Hart against his fiance's wishes.

-Sent an instant message to Zero-One pro wrestling fighter/foreign talent booker Steve Corino, saying how sorry he was about the tragic passing of the promotion's top star/promoter, legendary pro wrestling fighter Shinya Hashimoto.

-Angrily posted after ROH staged a fake riot (that got real in parts) while his father, recovering from some ailment, was in attendance. At the time, a picture was circulating that showed him throwing himself on top of his father.

-Asked Derek Burgan, who has mocked him many times in his columns, to

confront him at an ROH show so he could try to beat him up.

- Had this convo with CM Punk on AIM:

paulsosn: Hi. I just wanted to say, as someone who has always supported you from your very first appearance in ROH, thanks for all you did for the company. You'll be missed.

paulsosn: this is green lantern fan, by the way

paulsosn: are you busy?

paulsosn: you can verify my ID with gabe if you want

paulsosn: nothing?

paulsosn: well i was gonna ask why you wouldn't sign that great 8X10" at the restaurant during gregh's luncheon, but oh well

paulsosn: remember i approached you on the stairs as you were leaving-- all you said was "NO"

paulsosn: no reply? nothing at all?

paulsosn: my buddies and I were laughing all day about your just saying NO to me

paulsosn: dude i was one of six people in the building cheering my ass off for you when you debuted and did that interview in the murphy rec center

paulsosn: now you're really hurting my feelings....

paulsosn: i am very sad right now

paulsosn: Mr Punk?

paulsosn: well i'm sorry this didn't work out. goodnight and good luck to you, sir

paulsosn: bye?

He also wears a button up flame shirt. That shit isn't even excusable anymore for teens much less grown men.

GLF is also know for:

Offline, he has:

-Proposed to his fiance (they're still "engaged" after almost 13 years) live on the air at a Monday Night Raw taping at the Manhattan Center.

-Physically attacked other fans over disparaging comments made on pro wrestling message boards. (!)

-Gone to Chris Candido's wake and hovered around in a creepy manner so he could be around his favorite pro wrestling fighters.

-Been visible at many Raw tapings and ROH shows almost stopping his stopwatch for every near fall

-Tried to grandstand and attempt to fight pro wrestling fighter Super Dragon. (Dragon was so annoyed by this that he has taken bumps into Mr. Lantern in an attempt to injure him.)

-Wandered from car to car on a Long Island Railroad train asking if anyone had WWF MSG tickets that they would sell to him.

-Cut to the front of the line (which only those involved in the show were doing otherwise) in the freezing weather at Chelsea Pier at an ROH show.

It's a constant drip of spectacular world-class douchery. Besides the above, he:

-Constantly sent instant messages to WWE developmental pro wrestling fighter CM Punk, in spite of being constantly ignored.

-Lied and made a big fuss over saying that he would never go to a show promoted by Rob Feinstein after the Perverted Justice scandal.

-Has made various statements that indicate he thinks he is one of the workers on the show.

-Posted at length about how he was strongly considering flying to Calgary to spend time with Teddy Hart against his fiance's wishes.

-Sent an instant message to Zero-One pro wrestling fighter/foreign talent booker Steve Corino, saying how sorry he was about the tragic passing of the promotion's top star/promoter, legendary pro wrestling fighter Shinya Hashimoto.

-Angrily posted after ROH staged a fake riot (that got real in parts) while his father, recovering from some ailment, was in attendance. At the time, a picture was circulating that showed him throwing himself on top of his father.

paulsosn: Hi. I just wanted to say, as someone who has always supported you from your very first appearance in ROH, thanks for all you did for the company. You'll be missed.

paulsosn: well i was gonna ask why you wouldn't sign that great 8X10" at the restaurant during gregh's luncheon, but oh well

paulsosn: remember i approached you on the stairs as you were leaving-- all you said was "NO"

paulsosn: my buddies and I were laughing all day about your just saying NO to me

paulsosn: dude i was one of six people in the building cheering my ass off for you when you debuted and did that interview in the murphy rec center

paulsosn: well i'm sorry this didn't work out. goodnight and good luck to you, sir

Oh man, I didn't know about more than half of those. Awful but hilarious.

I finally got to see this today. It's been said over and over again, but this was really good. At the same time, it was pretty depressing, to the point where I probably won't be watching this many times in the future. I will say that the first deli scene was awesome. Reading above that Rourke actually was serving real customers makes it even more entertaining.

Weird/funny stuff in my theater: A couple actually brought their, maybe, 10-year old son. You could hear the mother's reactions throughout the movie due to the inappropriateness of so many scenes, particularly the "partying" with the fireman chick. I was fully expecting them to walk out at parts, but surprisingly, only an old couple did during the clips of the Necro Butcher match.

GLF is also know for:

Offline, he has:

What a fat fucking loser. Why hasn't someone punched him out yet?

I finally got to see this today. It's been said over and over again, but this was really good. At the same time, it was pretty depressing, to the point where I probably won't be watching this many times in the future. I will say that the first deli scene was awesome. Reading above that Rourke actually was serving real customers makes it even more entertaining.

Weird/funny stuff in my theater: A couple actually brought their, maybe, 10-year old son. You could hear the mother's reactions throughout the movie due to the inappropriateness of so many scenes, particularly the "partying" with the fireman chick. I was fully expecting them to walk out at parts, but surprisingly, only an old couple did during the clips of the Necro Butcher match.

Yeah the crowd I saw it with was just in a combination of wonderment, shock, and disgust at the Necro Butcher scene.

GLF is also know for:

Offline, he has:

Oh man, I didn't know about more than half of those. Awful but hilarious.

I'm surprised he didn't call Punk Mr. Brooks.

Saw this today. Really good...sort of a one performance movie...not to say that the other performances are bad by any stretch of the imagination, Rourke just OWNS the movie. The only parts that dragged were the parts where he was trying to make up with his daughter.

I saw this at a sold out, tiny ass arthouse theater. Like a few others have said, the people in the audience were just in bewildered by the scene with Necro Butcher. Necro also got quite a few laughs from the audience in the little scene before the match.

Oh and did anyone else hear that Vince has changed his mind on the movie (now that its rolling in the awards) and wants to have Mickey Rourke show up at WrestleMania XXV. Not sure how I feel about that. Part of me thinks it'd absolutely terrible in every way imaginable...the other part of me would mark out like crazy if The Ram made a run-in.

Saw it in a sold out theater and loved it. Only one old couple left during the Necro scene. I heard some gasps and the lady behind my thought Ram was going to slit his wrists when he was taping the blade early on. My wife said she was glad she knew some of the inside stuff as it helped her understand a lot of the little things. We both loved it. Great effort by Rourke and Tomei for sure.

I echo the comments that it totally felt like a documentary and Ram seemed quite real. The first deli scene may have been my favorite part. Loved Ernest Miller as the Ayatollah as well. Great stuff.

Saw it on Friday, was a great movie. I loved the Deli scenes too, though I think the 2nd was just a little better than the 1st.

But I must've been the only person in the theater under 50, that was kinda weird. There were a couple old people who didn't look like they had any clue where they even were, and one of them got up and just kinda stood in the middle of the theater before being helped out by security after the Necro Butcher fight.

The GLF posts are really funny, but what's with calling them "pro wrestling fighters?" Is that some ROH fanboy thing?

Can we not derail this thread to rip on Green Lantern? He's not every ROH fan.

Oh and did anyone else hear that Vince has changed his mind on the movie (now that its rolling in the awards) and wants to have Mickey Rourke show up at WrestleMania XXV. Not sure how I feel about that. Part of me thinks it'd absolutely terrible in every way imaginable...the other part of me would mark out like crazy if The Ram made a run-in.

Vince is such a fucking tool. First the movie exposes the business too much (WWE Tough Enough says hello) and now that it's getting all of this buzz and attention, he's all over it. I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks, in his own warped mind, the he wrote the screenplay for the thing. :P

http://wrestlinginc.com/news/2009/0125/383...s_jericho.shtml

"The Wrestler" star Mickey Rourke was at tonight's Screen Actors Guild Awards in Hollywood and spoke about a possible appearance at WrestleMania 25.

We now have confirmation that Rourke will in fact be in Houston on April 5th. PWTorch.com reports that Rourke is "officially signed" to appear at WWE's showcase event.

This evening, Rourke spoke to Access Hollywood on the red carpet

and said, “The nicest thing has been the whole wrestling community embracing us. The movie was about their world.”

He continued, “The boys from the WWE called me and asked me to do it. I said, ‘I want to.’ I’m talking with [WWE legend] Rowdy Roddy Piper about it.”

Just as he did on the E! channel's pre-show, Mickey Rourke cut another promo on Chris Jericho. "Chris Jericho, you better get in shape," Rourke said. "Because I'm coming after your ass."

Personally, I liked it better when Vince hated the movie.

I feel sort of the same way...it's kind of hypocritical considering the movie is basically about how the wrestling industry uses up and spits out talent.

At the same time, as I've said, I would probably mark out if he showed up as The Ram!

Vince is such a fucking tool. First the movie exposes the business too much

That's not why he hated the movie. He hates anything that makes wrestling look negative.

Until it becomes critically acclaimed, then he sucks up to it

EDIT: Except for Beyond the Mat, though had it scorred a Best Documentary nomination, might have been different

"Hey Darren, remmember when I glowered at you after the screening and threw you out of my building? I was just trying to get heat on ya my boy, c'mere, HA HA HA"

"Hey Darren, remmember when I glowered at you after the screening and threw you out of my building? I was just trying to get heat on ya my boy, c'mere, HA HA HA... YOUUU'RE FIRED!!"

Heh I had to add that in there. Seemed fitting. :P

Vince hates it cause they openly show guys selling drugs in the locker rooms, and that guy who were big stars 20 years ago are on hard times and no one gives a fuck.

Vince would deny all that mess

Admittedly, the drug use isn't usually that open in real locker rooms, at least any of the ones I've been in. Well okay, there was that one where the booker sat around in the office with some of the boys after the show, passing a joint around. One of said boys may or may not have been a certain staplegun-wielding maniac whom Randy The Ram wrestled in the movie. But typically that kind of thing is kept on the down-low. It was especially jarring to me the sheer quantity of shit Randy was buying, that was hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of drugs, and I found myself wondering how the hell he could afford it.

Admittedly, the drug use isn't usually that open in real locker rooms, at least any of the ones I've been in. Well okay, there was that one where the booker sat around in the office with some of the boys after the show, passing a joint around. One of said boys may or may not have been a certain staplegun-wielding maniac whom Randy The Ram wrestled in the movie. But typically that kind of thing is kept on the down-low. It was especially jarring to me the sheer quantity of shit Randy was buying, that was hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of drugs, and I found myself wondering how the hell he could afford it.

IIRC, the guy who was selling it to him told Randy that he could give him something like $400 up front and he knew that Randy would be good for the rest. Still a bit unrealistic but not as much so.