Sign in to follow this  
DerangedHermit

WWF Survivor Series 1992

The Headshrinkers vs. High Energy

The Big Bossman vs. Nailz

Rick Martel vs. Tatanka

Randy Savage & Mr. Perfect vs. Razor Ramon & Ric Flair

Yokozuna vs. Virgil

The Nasty Boys and The Natural Disasters vs. The Beverly Brothers and Money Inc. (weird matchup) in an elimination match

Kamala vs. The Undertaker in a Casket Match

Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart for the WWF Championship

Can't wait!

It had the one tag team elimination match but otherwise it was there to blow off a lot of feuds that had been going throughout 1992. Nailz/Bossman, Bret/Shawn, UT/Kamala, Martel/Tatanka. I enjoyed this PPV quite a bit, even the silly gimmick matches are kept short and are amusing, like the Coffin match or the Nightstick match.

The original card of this show was WAY different than what we actually got. I recall getting a Survivor Series preview magazine and the announced card was something like this:

Macho/Warrior vs. Razor/Flair (Hennig replaced Warrior, Flair was supposed to have title still)

Bulldog vs. Mountie for IC (Bulldog was canned, lost IC to Shawn)

HBK vs. Bret in a whatever match, no belt at stake.

Mr. Perfect's face turn is one of the best "Oh crap we gotta do something else!" pieces of booking I've ever seen. In one single segment on PTW they had him believably go from Flair stooge to Macho's partner.

It's shot differently for some reason. Or it looks like it. Haven't seen it on video tape.

It almost reminds me of the footage they used to show from overseas.

It looks like the type of footage you'd see if you watch a PAL tape. I saw this when it originally aired and have watched the video many times since; it looked normal. I don't know what's going on here.

Nailz is one of the worst wrestlers/promos the WWF had in the early '90s. Holy hell.

I have a very fond memory of this show in regards to the Mr. Perfect thing. We didn't get Prime Time in Canada so, with the big angle happening on a show we don't get, how are Canadians supposed to know what's going on? Well, the "Community Bulletin Board / Local Cable Access" channel or whatever you want to call it had an ALERT~! appear on screen. "ATTENTION WRESTLING FANS - due to unforseen circumstances, The Ultimate Warrior will not be appearing at Survivor Series. "Macho Man" Randy Savage will now be teaming with Mr. Perfect" (or some form of this bulletin). Talk about a head scratcher - I thought this was some trap Savage had walked into and told everyone at school about this exciting news.

I miss that channel, with it's solid blue screen and two red lines at the top and bottom, computerized text on screen and ASCII graphics for Christmas Trees when they did the holiday greetings. Good times.

One of the first tapes I remember renting so obviously I would have a lot of fondness for it even if it weren't that good. Surprisingly, this card does hold up. Even the crap is relatively short (Yokozuna/Virgil) and/or entertaining (Kamala/Taker, Bossman/Nailz). I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Though I must say that the show ending with Bret Hart celebrating a successful title defense with Santa has always been kind of surreal. That came across as corny even to a six year old King Kamala.

I may be wrong but I recall Yokozuna falling over at one point during the Virgil match (though I think he ended up using as an offensive move). That (possibly false) memory and him CLEARLY being down on the mat at the 93 Rumble always caused me to not really buy the whole "Duggan tries to knock Yokozuna off his feet for the first time ever!" angle afterwards. I think the deal there was Yoko hadn't been offensively knocked off his feet (again, a memory issue - I always remembered it as Savage flooring him with repeated axe handles, but I think he actually fell after a missed charge).

Was Sags injured in the elimination tag? It seemed like he was a bit out of it at one point and there was a pretty obvious edit.

Speaking of edits, quite a few "WWF"s got past the censor, it seems.

I also have very fond memories of this show, in spite of the fact that I always prefer a card with multiple elimination matches. I love the Perfect/Savage vs. Flair/Ramon tag team match, and this featured the second great main event with Bret Hart that year.

Just for the sake of fun, if you were to book this to feature a minimum of three elimination matches, how would you do it?

I might do it this way:

Elimination Match

Tatanka, Marty Jannetty and High Energy

"The Model" Rick Martel, Repo Man and The Beverly Bros.

Nightstick Match

Big Bossman vs. Nailz

Elimination Match

Randy Savage, Mr. Perfect & The Nasty Boys

vs. Ric Flair, Razor Ramon & Money Inc.

Elimination Match

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Virgil and The Natural Disasters

vs. Yokozuna, Bam Bam Bigelow and the Headshrinkers

Casket Match

The Undertaker vs. Kamala

WWF Championship

Bret Hart © vs. Shawn Michaels

You have to love Vince taking every opportunity he could to needle him about Perfect. You could tell that Heenan really enjoyed working that angle.

Cogeco put this up today but man, the VQ is a bit distracting. I'm actually a bit worried - this is actually the first "WWE Classics" branded thing they've aired so I hope it's not the beginning of a trend. It's watchable and everything, but it takes getting used to. I've noticed that sometimes when I FF a DVD on the Xbox 360 and go back to regular playback, the video looks like this temporarily. Oh well.

Kind of odd how the Headshrinkers got the jobber "already in the ring" entrance for the opener.

I haven't seen this show in years - I'm glad they showed the deal from Prime Time because Heenan slapping Perfect then begging for forgiveness less than a second later is awesome.

That's some list of big stars that Mean Gene points out Bret Hart has beat.

"The Berzerker, The Mountie, Rick Martel, BIG Papa Shango, and recently Virgil".

Yeah, not exactly Murderer's Row. But that was meant to put over how much of a fighting champion Bret Hart was. He wrestled everyone and he wrestled on television frequently, something the WWF Champion didn't do at the time. That was Bret Hart's gimmick, wrestling.

I just watched Rumble '93 the other night, and it was a missed charge that sent him down. Savage only knocked him to one knee with the axhandles.

But Re: Perfect's face turn. I just posted this in the TSMarketplace, but if anyone has a copy of that PTW episode on tape, I'd be glad to buy a copy.

My star ratings...again.

The Headshrinkers vs. High Energy

Good little match. Very quick. Afa at Survivor Series is good for a laugh. **.

The Big Bossman vs. Nailz

Nailz promo was good. By that I mean, it made me laugh. He talked as if he was constipated. Not a bad match, but could've been better if these two brawled around the arena. *.

Rick Martel vs. Tatanka

I like Martel. A lot. But I didn't like this. Liked Doink's appearance! *1/2.

Randy Savage & Mr. Perfect vs. Razor Ramon & Ric Flair

Oh man, this is good. Real good. I was left...wanting more. I could watch this match quite a few times more. Heenan, as mentioned, was great. ***1/2.

Yokozuna vs. Virgil

Squash. *1/4.

The Nasty Boys and The Natural Disasters vs. The Beverly Brothers and Money Inc. (weird matchup) in an elimination match

The only thing good about this was the end. Crap. Unfortunately, the tag division was dust during '92, but that's just my opinion. The Steiners and Quebecers fixed that. 1/2*.

Kamala vs. The Undertaker in a Casket Match

DUD. Funny as hell, but not a good match. At all.

Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart for the WWF Championship

****1/2. Just like during KotR 1993, seats emptied during Bret's big match. Not as many as then, but quite a few this time. I don't think people were "ready" for him. I loved the match.

The lack of a tag team division is the only thing that keeps me from saying that WWF 1992 is my favorite year from any promotion, but well, that's just what it is. Conversely, WCW's tag team division was the shit. As for the show, it's eh by what you'd call "today's standards", but my standards are quite different. I loved it. The wrestling wasn't the best, but everything hit a perfect (nyuk, nyuk) note. To me, anyway.