TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

F4W/WON Notes - September 16th - 22nd

F4W~! #691 - September 16, 2008:

Guys who maybe should not answer their phone: Chuck Palumbo and Paul London. Vince thought Palumbo's motorcycle gimmick was cool, but then he got over it. Producers aren't big fans of him but Johnny Ace always goes to bat for him due to them being tight from WCW. London actually invested in acting classes but it is felt "he has no instinct for this" and he has no allies on the booking committee.

What's the deal with Ryan Braddock?: He was going to be brought up as JBL's cousin, but JBL thought he looked like too much of a mid-carder in dark matches. As it is 1978, the feeling is people who beat Braddock - because he's a big guy - gain overness points.

Guidelines for previewing SmackDown vs. Raw 2009: From Fighting Spirit Magazine, here are guidelines on how to properly preview the game - ""Got WWE preview code yesterday and, as always, screenshots have to be approved if we decide to take our own. So far, so usual. But here’s the interesting part: there are further stipulations that highlight which screenshots will immediately be given the thumbs down. These include screenshots of ‘superstars’ (not allowed to refer to them as wrestlers) bleeding, weapons being used -- and we’re not allowed to take ANY screenshots of Triple H losing or ANY screenshots of Triple H in a 'defenceless or vulnerable position'".

F4W~! #691 - September 16, 2008:and we’re not allowed to take ANY screenshots of Triple H losing or ANY screenshots of Triple H in a 'defenceless or vulnerable position'".

HHH being paranoid over how he's being portrayed in a game (no pun intended) is just ridiculous, even as a politician.

Just out of curiosity, what doesn't London have the instinct for? Crappy sports entertainment acting or wrestling in general?

I can't wait for the day when a video game is released by the WWE that 100% doesn't allow you to pin HHH or almost pin him. It's just a game where the moment you know you are facing HHH, he's just going to kick-pedigree you into the mid-card. In fact, it should just be a blue screen that says "You faced HHH and lost. You aren't ready yet and he's that damn good. Good luck next season chump."

Just out of curiosity, what doesn't London have the instinct for? Crappy sports entertainment acting or wrestling in general?

I can't wait for the day when a video game is released by the WWE that 100% doesn't allow you to pin HHH or almost pin him. It's just a game where the moment you know you are facing HHH, he's just going to kick-pedigree you into the mid-card. In fact, it should just be a blue screen that says "You faced HHH and lost. You aren't ready yet and he's that damn good. Good luck next season chump."

Playing the right politics and being in favor with the right people, or in his case, anyone at all.

F4W~! #691 - September 16, 2008:and we’re not allowed to take ANY screenshots of Triple H losing or ANY screenshots of Triple H in a 'defenceless or vulnerable position'".

HHH being paranoid over how he's being portrayed in a game (no pun intended) is just ridiculous, even as a politician.

I don't know whether to laugh at such insecurity or feel sorry for it.

Looks like that rumor way back about HHH being worried about his legacy as a politician was unfounded, or he doesn't care anymore again.

Insecurity generally outweighs concern over what others think of you.

Guidelines for previewing SmackDown vs. Raw 2009: From Fighting Spirit Magazine, here are guidelines on how to properly preview the game - ""Got WWE preview code yesterday and, as always, screenshots have to be approved if we decide to take our own. So far, so usual. But here’s the interesting part: there are further stipulations that highlight which screenshots will immediately be given the thumbs down. These include screenshots of ‘superstars’ (not allowed to refer to them as wrestlers) bleeding, weapons being used -- and we’re not allowed to take ANY screenshots of Triple H losing or ANY screenshots of Triple H in a 'defenceless or vulnerable position'".

I hope the HHH thing is a joke.

Either way, this is the first thing I'll be doing when I get the game and I'll put them all over the net. :P

I hope the HHH thing is a joke.

Either way, this is the first thing I'll be doing when I get the game and I'll put them all over the net. :P

Only for WWE to remove them.

I don't remember if it was No Mercy or Day of Reckoning, but I remember getting pissed anytime I had to wrestle HHH. No Mercy had those handicap match angles with the DX crew where X-Pac always refused to job for me.

I don't remember if it was No Mercy or Day of Reckoning, but I remember getting pissed anytime I had to wrestle HHH.

It was probably No Mercy, because I remember HHH being a little harder to beat than anyone else. It was still relatively easy, but HHH would take longer because he'd always counter your move or kick out.

London is a better worker than Spanky, but he has an enemy in Vince for smiling in the "Who Killed Vince" walk of shame, with Vince thinking he was trying to put himself over as a potential suspect because everybody else was supposed to be sullen.

I think he'd be better off getting released at this point, head back to a big ROH welcome and then maybe look for Japanese tours.

JBL saying somebody looked too much like a midcarder? JBL that's your whole career.

I don't remember if it was No Mercy or Day of Reckoning, but I remember getting pissed anytime I had to wrestle HHH.

It was probably No Mercy, because I remember HHH being a little harder to beat than anyone else. It was still relatively easy, but HHH would take longer because he'd always counter your move or kick out.

Those snap jabs were cheap, most of the time I'd always get hit.

Half of why they couldn't come up with anything for him is cuz he's black. Seriously, have any of the non-white guys on the roster not had some kind of race-based gimmick at some point? This is a company which still employs a "Samoan jungle savage who can't speak English" gimmick today. WWE Creative always seems to have more problems coming up with ideas for someone who doesn't fit the company's preferred look.

he has an enemy in Vince for smiling in the "Who Killed Vince" walk of shame, with Vince thinking he was trying to put himself over as a potential suspect because everybody else was supposed to be sullen.

IIRC, didn't they pre-tape that segment? I don't think it was live. If Vince had a problem with London smiling, he should've just said "Cut!" and told him to knock it off.

Half of why they couldn't come up with anything for him is cuz he's black. Seriously, have any of the non-white guys on the roster not had some kind of race-based gimmick at some point? This is a company which still employs a "Samoan jungle savage who can't speak English" gimmick today. WWE Creative always seems to have more problems coming up with ideas for someone who doesn't fit the company's preferred look.

he has an enemy in Vince for smiling in the "Who Killed Vince" walk of shame, with Vince thinking he was trying to put himself over as a potential suspect because everybody else was supposed to be sullen.

IIRC, didn't they pre-tape that segment? I don't think it was live. If Vince had a problem with London smiling, he should've just said "Cut!" and told him to knock it off.

The explosion was taped but I believe the walk scene was live.

I think it was Day of Reckoning, I threw controllers because of those fucking handicap matches were a bitch, Triple threat matches were just as bad.

Guys who maybe should not answer their phone: Chuck Palumbo and Paul London. Vince thought Palumbo's motorcycle gimmick was cool, but then he got over it. Producers aren't big fans of him but Johnny Ace always goes to bat for him due to them being tight from WCW. London actually invested in acting classes but it is felt "he has no instinct for this" and he has no allies on the booking committee.

Hey, why not dump Snitsky instead. What's that guy got going for him? They've killed any mystique he might have had, he gets no reaction, and he's got a shitty look. Why is he still employed?

Elijah Burke shouldn't be answering his phone either. I can't believe they can't come up with anything for this kid. The Black Pope bit, with the street prophet look could have really worked if he needed a rework at all.

Isn't Elijah out with an injury from a car accident or something?

I always thought Palumbo would make a good mid-card to upper mid-card talent if allowed to be himself rather than a gimmick with a six month shelf life. I know he's not wonderful at any one aspect, but he's decent at pretty much every aspect. London can probably make a good living in ROH, indys, and internationally.

London reportedly hated Japan, which led to him signing with WWE, IIRC, because he couldn't supplement his income as well as his peers could if wouldn't do Japanese tours.