TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DangerousDamon

9/18 Impact Spoilers

I don't get the love for Double J's promo, he was stumbling over words, he was all over the place, and most of what he was saying was a lie. I can forgive the lies, because it's wrestling. It wasn't a terrible promo, it just wasn't that great, Sting and Angle's was on point and they made a ton of sense.

It's because it's called a passionate promo. It was a really good promo on Jarrett's part.

Even if some people didn't like Jarrett's promo, you have to admit that this has been by far the best part of this confusing storyline. I too, always wondered why promotions always made Jarrett a heel, as he makes a good babyface. The only time I can think of that he sucked as a face, was in 2003.

Jarrett always came off to me as more of a natural heel, which is why the whole time he was being passionate about his bullshit I wanted Sting or Angle to deck him. But I will agree it was a hell of a promo on Jarrett's part. One of his better promos I've heard.

Well, I don't even know if Jarrett was a face or heel in 96 and 97. In fact, I don't know if the Horsemen were heels or faces either, since they would feud with good guys, but they would also feud with bad guys (NWO).

And as much as the Horsemen were faces Jarrett basically feuded with them even as he was a member. It wasn't like WCW presented a face and the fans rejected it. He insulted all the Horsemen and called them Flair's lackies. He brawled with Arn, Benoit, and Mongo. He stole Debra from Mongo and only got into the Horsemen by her cheating on his behalf against Mongo. The only time I remember him really being booked as a face was the 2 weeks or so that he and the Horsemen were Piper's team for that 3-way WCW vs nWo vs Piper thing. And then he and Debra full fledged turned heel on the Horsemen.

So I don't remember a time when he ever really got booked as a real face. At least that wasn't it except maybe for a few weeks here or there.

No one wanted to cheer a face Jeff Jarrett in WCW 1996 or 1997 either.

I remember when the Horseman were faces and WCW tried to get Jarrett over by having Flair back him to become Horseman and Flair would talk Jarrett up big. The fans still rejected Jarrett entirely. It's really something when Flair is backing you strong and talking you up and you still get rejected.

But they were countering that at the same time with Arn, Benoit, and Mongo rejecting him. Jarrett was being arrogant about Flair's endorsement and was condescending to the rest of the Horsemen. Arn a favorite himself and Benoit becoming a big favorite against Sullivan. So it was ind of mixed bag WCW was selling Jarrett with. It wasn't like Flair was just pushing JJ straight and the fans were rejecting it. JJ was basically playing a heel and everyone besides Flair was down on him.

And having Debra as his only other fan probably didn't help either.

It was also hard for years for Jarrett to get over as a face doing his act from the WWF. When I think of Jarrett as a face, I think of the USWA stuff with Lawler. Thats the real Jarrett to me, anyway. He can get over in TNA as a face now, because his character is different judging from that promo (although he needs to get rid of the guitar and that annoying ring music), and the fans were also chanting and rooting for him! When did we ever think we would see that?

After watching Jarrett's promo again, still think it was a little flat, but it was good. I guess I hated he used his wife's death to get sympathy, but he had too do that, everybody knew about it so he had too say something about it. I got a little too smarky watching it I guess, because his whole bit about building TNA for the young guys, was bullshit, but he had too say that. He couldn't come out and say, "This company was build because I was blackballed by the top company in the business". So he had to go with the "I built TNA to help the young guys" bit. Still say ending the promo, by introducing Foley killed everything he was talking about before hand.

Having the guy come back after a 2 year layoff to stand by his wife as she battled cancer, suffer through her death, and care for his children would be enough to make The Great Khali into an ultra babyface. I don't think it was necessarily used to get a face character over, rather that TNA deals more to the hardcore/internet crowd, everyone knew about it, plus it was mentioned last year on TNA TV/PPV (Slammiversary, which Jarrett backed out of due to Jill passing away).

I don't think that introducing Foley kills anything, because Foley has always had the rep for giving back to the young guys and knowing how important it is to follow your dreams. They'll probably run with the whole "jumped off a roof as a kid and wound up becoming a World Champion years later" deal for Foley to make him an inspirational babyface.

I'm happy with the way Jarrett has used his wife's death on TV. He actually has used it just to say that it happened in case you didn't hear, rather than using it for a sympathy title run or something. I was really worried last year, that he was going to pull that shit in the king of the mountain match, but instead they did something classy and showed a video package of Jarrett's thoughts, and then he put Chris Harris in the match instead. I'm glad Jarrett didn't give us a Rey Mysterio type title push.

All I will say is this much.....that opening promo by Joe, then the Sting promo, and then finally the Jarrett promo was fucking steller stuff, and each promo built to the next very well on this show this week, more than I've ever seen from TNA as far as a one-show story building crescendo type in ring promos go, and as far as building a solid and compelling storyline more than they damn near have ever done in their history. Each promo tied into the next and by the end of that show, I thought to myself that perhaps (and keep in mind that keyword, PERHAPS) they may be onto something here with this storyline they are building with the old guard who demands respect v. the others who should have already earned that respect from the old guard but have yet to see it (at least thats how I take the story, who knows if thats what the intention is). I saw Jarrett get over as a face with the hometown Nashville crowd back in the earlier years of TNA, but this seemed to be, at least initially, a whole lot different and fresh than before, in terms of his delivery and his reaction. They seemed to have also finally gotten some heel heat on Sting (which I didn't think was possible) and a better face reaction for Joe than has been seen in this storyline so far. Whether they can truly follow up on this really solid stuff is anyone's guess, but at this point, they established the original intention of the idea behind this whole angle properly.....and finally. If they can build well from this is the big question. But whatever the case, definately a strong start to the BFG build. The rest of the show was up and down but definately had its' moments of pure unintentional hilarity (which can be taken as bad or good depending on your mood and/or state of mind), examples being the blatantly scriped Tenay/West exchange right before Angle initially showed up, the TNA press conference for Matt Morgan, Thunderdome being changed to "The Steel Asylum" (I assume to lead to Suicide's "debut" and victory in this match at BFG) the Suicide promo (which was borderlining actually being a good start to the gimmick versus just so ridiculous it was funny), and the cut-away to the Awesome Kong run-in on Rhino and Taylor Wilde. Christian/AJ v. MCMGs was also entertaining as hell for an Impact match and I thought the Petey Williams face turn followed by the Shane Sewell ref turn watchthefuckout rampage delivered. Petey and Sewell could make a pretty decent tag team, as well as strong mid-card faces seperately at the same time. Whenever Steiner returns, having him aligned with these guys will help them get over even more (hopefully). And TNA can't go to high definition fast enough with Velvet Sky wearing what she did. Good lawdy....

What this angle is missing is the moment where AJ finally smacks someone and reminds them that he's a 3 time world champion.

Other than that...I like that both sides have some good points...and I thought that Jarrett's promo came as close as anyone is going to get to make people look at Sting like he's an asshole. Which is impressive. And I thought the Angle/Jarrett stuff was absolute top notch.

TNA must have done something right, because for the first time, ever, even with the choice of fast forwarding through anything.. I watched impact from start to finish.

What impressed me the most was that TNA did something very basic, and that was continue the Sting/Joe disrespect angle throughout the show, for example the MCMG and Christian situation.

It's just little things like that, like angles blending in to each other, that make me enjoy a show.

I'll be watching next week, hope it won't disappoint.

What this angle is missing is the moment where AJ finally smacks someone and reminds them that he's a 3 time world champion.

Other than that...I like that both sides have some good points...and I thought that Jarrett's promo came as close as anyone is going to get to make people look at Sting like he's an asshole. Which is impressive. And I thought the Angle/Jarrett stuff was absolute top notch.

It should've been Joe.

So the guys on F4W are saying that regardless of what they said at the end of the show, it's going to be Angle/JJ at the PPV, not Angle/Foley. I take that to mean Foley will be the special ref or something along those lines. It really sucks for the people who buy tickets to the show thinking it's pretty much confirmed that it will be Angle/Foley.

It really sucks for the people who buy tickets to the show thinking it's pretty much confirmed that it will be Angle/Foley.

TNA: We are bait-and-switch.

I know it's "Cross The Line" now, but couldn't think of anything for it.

I thought Impact was a great show. For the 1st time since I can remember (and I actually stopped watching for 3 or 4 months earlier this year), I actually was looking forward to each segment as they came along (I was watching my tape in the wee hours of the morning, but kept saying, "OK, just one more segment." I ended up watching start to finish). Even the involvement of the Prince Justice Brotherhood and the Rock n' Rave Infection (contstant blackmarks, except for Curry Man, IMO) didn't bother me.

There were 2 things I actively had a problem with, though. The 1st was Angle using the word "shoot" in his promo. The "respect" angle so far has been believeable, Sting's been doing some of the greatest work of his career on the mic, there's actually a common theme throughout the show and it's not just black and white...and then Angle has to go and send the message that "everything else is scripted, but THIS is real!"

The other thing I had a problem with - and it's only b/c I know the history of TNA - was Jarrett talking about creating TNA to give the young guys a chance. While I don't doubt it's true, and while I think Jarrett has a much worse reputation that he deserves, it's hard to listen to him talking about the veterans not standing aside when Jarrett has been the HHH of the promotion ("Drop the title!" and "Please retire!" chants, anyone?).