TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWF Royal Rumble 1992

Best Rumble Ever...but we already knew that.

No, we don't. 2004 is a lot better I think.

Gorilla's voice of disdain when Jake comes out is great. As is Hacksaw starting the USA chants in the middle of the Rumble.

"With my tax dollars. I paid almost $200 in taxes last year..."

"Will you stop?!"

"It's not supposed to go to benefit that scumbag!"

That's awesome, and I can't believe I didn't use the "Give him the title, that's good enough for me" line earlier. Heenan saying "Trust me" as Jake walked to the ring....There's not a single bad thing about that match.

Not factoring the Benoit thing in, 2004 was not as good as 1992 IMO, but a very good match nonetheless.

"JACK ON THE TAKE TUNNEY. BEST PRESIDENT SINCE NORIEGA."

I've seen this show a few thousand times but I can always go for another viewing.

That Hogan promo after Piper-Mountie was remarkably restrained.

This show was one of my favorites as well and was the catalyst for one of my first real "smarky" moments.

On Superstars the following weekend they did the recap of the Rumble and showed the Hogan pulling Sid out bit. But they had replaced the audio of the crowd and Gorillas commentary and did it quite poorly. The sound quality totally gave it away and even if you hadn't seen the show you had to know something was up. I was pissed and was ready to swear wrestling off for the WWF trying to squash the fans natural reactions. Thinking back it was kind of odd that I was THAT offended by it, but then again Flairs awesomeness kept me onboard.

Nature Boy>Boy Murderer. Sad but true, I know. Man, I can remember renting this one and subsequently buying it from the gas station nearest to my house. I miss those giant cardboard boxes. Of course, I practically wore this match out on my Flair DVD, but I can't wait to be able to see the whole show. I really like the opener (and this will be my first Orient Express match since being exposed to BAD FUCKING COMPANY on AWA on ESPN Classics), and I'm a huge Piper mark. When I was posting in the thread in General Wrestling about the most important things for someone new to watch, the Rumble match itself was what immediately jumped to mind. It's the single best job in wrestling from a booking, workers, and commentary aspect. I hate to say it but this match even has....more cowbell.

But don't get me wrong, I'll probably skip the shit in the middle.

This show was one of my favorites as well and was the catalyst for one of my first real "smarky" moments.

On Superstars the following weekend they did the recap of the Rumble and showed the Hogan pulling Sid out bit. But they had replaced the audio of the crowd and Gorillas commentary and did it quite poorly. The sound quality totally gave it away and even if you hadn't seen the show you had to know something was up. I was pissed and was ready to swear wrestling off for the WWF trying to squash the fans natural reactions. Thinking back it was kind of odd that I was THAT offended by it, but then again Flairs awesomeness kept me onboard.

That one was notorious. Even PWI mentioned it. They dubbed in Gorilla saying "What a creep Justice turned out to be!" Which he obviously never said on the original broadcast.

As great at the 92 Royal Rumble was, think about the wrestlers who weren't in the match that year

-Bret Hart

-Hawk and Animal

-The Mountie

-Owen Hart

-Jim Neihart

-Earthquake

-Typhoon

Now, for several years the IC Champion was never in the Royal Rumble. They always had their own title defense on the card. So even if Bret was healthy for the Rumble (as I understand, the whole sickness thing was a work due to Bret re-negoiating his contract), he wouldn't have been in there anyway. But I would have loved to have seen Bret, Owen, and LOD in that Rumble match.

Well, all of those guys (except Bret) had undercard matches that night and this was before the lean years where they put guys on the undercard in The Rumble. You could argue that Piper was both on the undercard and in the Rumble but he was a last minute replacement in the IC title match and was already scheduled to do The Rumble.

2004 Rumble was cool, didn't think it was as fun as the 1992 Rumble, though.

The Taker/Shawn Rumble I thought was right behind RR 1992.

I think my second favorite Rumble is '90. Lot of great stuff in that one. DiBiase coming in at #1 the year after he bought the #30 slot. The segment with him, Jake Roberts, Randy Savage, and Roddy Piper, Warrior and Hogan's epic showdown.

You know Bushwhackers matches did suck goat testicles but it seems like no matter if it was Heenan or Ventura- the commentary for their matches were always top notch. Even as a mark- I could see the announcers were kind of admitting those matches sucked. Yet I still liked The Bushwhackers.

I haven't seen 1990 in so long that I can't recall it. 1991 is a very underrated Rumble with Martel nearly going the distance.

And no, 2004 is not anywhere close to 1992. Even if Benoit hadn't done what he did the match still isn't as good because the booking doesn't work on multiple levels like 1992 did. The 2004 Rumble is just kinda...there for the most part. It has a really hot finish with Big Show dominating everyone until Benoit somehow tosses him, but for quite a bit of the match Benoit didn't command much attention. He was #1 going in but it's not like everyone went after him or the match overall told much of a story. It was just "#1 guy in the Rumble goes the distance" paint by numbers booking. It's like a better version of 2006.

Did the WWF acknowledge that Col Mustafa was The Iron Shiek? When Slaughter was coming to the ring Heenan said there was 3 former WWF champions in the ring ( Hogan, Savage, Slaughter) and then Monsoon said moments ago there were 4 in the ring. I'm assuming they were talking about Hogan, Savage, Undertaker, and Mustafa. I don't recall them ever acknowledging that Mustafa was the shiek but it's been 16 years so I guess I could have forgotten if they did

2004 Rumble was cool, didn't think it was as fun as the 1992 Rumble, though.

The Taker/Shawn Rumble I thought was right behind RR 1992.

I think my second favorite Rumble is '90. Lot of great stuff in that one. DiBiase coming in at #1 the year after he bought the #30 slot. The segment with him, Jake Roberts, Randy Savage, and Roddy Piper, Warrior and Hogan's epic showdown.

You know Bushwhackers matches did suck goat testicles but it seems like no matter if it was Heenan or Ventura- the commentary for their matches were always top notch. Even as a mark- I could see the announcers were kind of admitting those matches sucked. Yet I still liked The Bushwhackers.

Heenan said on one of the shoot interviews with Cornette how he and Monsoon would desperately want to just say, "Yeah... this match plain sucks" but couldn't directly do that.

Did the WWF acknowledge that Col Mustafa was The Iron Shiek? When Slaughter was coming to the ring Heenan said there was 3 former WWF champions in the ring ( Hogan, Savage, Slaughter) and then Monsoon said moments ago there were 4 in the ring. I'm assuming they were talking about Hogan, Savage, Undertaker, and Mustafa. I don't recall them ever acknowledging that Mustafa was the shiek but it's been 16 years so I guess I could have forgotten if they did

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. On the MSG show currently airing, some comments about Col. Mustafa representing Tehran and being a former Olympian are mentioned - neither of which had to do with the Mustafa character.

WWF early-90s was weird when it came to repackaging characters. They acted like Col. Mustafa and The Dragon were these brand new people, while openly mentioning the past of the Mountie and El Matador.

I brought that fact up about Dragon and Mustafa in a comment on SKeith's blog and some people got really antsy, providing evidence that Dragon was acknowledged as Ricky Steamboat on such and such an occasion by Vince McMahon on commentary. I think that was really the exception to the rule, though.

Heenan said on one of the shoot interviews with Cornette how he and Monsoon would desperately want to just say, "Yeah... this match plain sucks" but couldn't directly do that.

JR told a funny story on his blog about when him and Gorilla used to work together, doing international broadcasts and so on. They would have to stop and start over because Monsoon would often go off on today's wrestling. He was an old-timer.

I think the WWE really dropped the ball by misuing Steamboat when he came back. Vince was probably still bitter over him leaving in the first place. It worked out just as well. Steamboat went back to WCW and worked awesome angles with The Dangerous Alliance, Austin, Pillman, and Flair.

Is there any way to get the "live" version of the 92 Rumble or does every single released version come with the CHV extras?

Yeah Steamboat was simply a better fit for WCW by 1991, though a part of me would have liked to have seen him in the WWF circa 1992-94 and see him vs. Bret, Hennig, etc. Minus the goofy aspects of the Dragon gimmick though.