TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

METALLICA

The new Metallica album will be entitled 'Death Magnetic'. It's due out in September.

I'm somewhat excited about it. I've checked out some of the Mission: Metallica shit they have on YouTube, and a couple of the demo snippets that play sound like pure Kill 'Em All-era shit. I'm looking forward to at least seeing if the songs are even, you know, decent rock as opposed to decent metal.

The new Metallica album will be entitled 'Death Magnetic'. It's due out in September.

I'm somewhat excited about it. I've checked out some of the Mission: Metallica shit they have on YouTube, and a couple of the demo snippets that play sound like pure Kill 'Em All-era shit. I'm looking forward to at least seeing if the songs are even, you know, decent rock as opposed to decent metal.

Yeah, I've been following those clips as well and I've been pleasantly surprised with it thus far. And according to some reviews from a listening party, the songs on the album are structured much like those on Justice.

Listen the drum beat when it's by itself. Anthrax. "I'm the Man." That made me laugh.

Eh, not bad. I like that they're using the palm muted down picking on an open string again (which, IIRC, has been lacking since right around Load), and the structure is interesting with a couple of good riffs. I can't wait to hear the album version, when it'll be a bit clearer.

Metallica have announced a North America Arena tour:

With DOWN and THE SWORD:

Oct. 21 - Glendale, AZ @ Jobing Arena

Oct. 23 - Albquerque, NM @ Tingley Coliseum

Oct. 25 - Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center

Oct. 26 - Des Moines, IA @ Wells Fargo Arena

Nov. 01 - Portland, OR @ Rose Quarter

Nov. 03 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Energy Solutions Arena

Nov. 04 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center

Nov. 06 - Omaha, NE @ Qwest Center

Nov. 08 - Moline, IL @ iWireless Center

Nov. 09 - Columbus, @ OH Schottenstein Center

Nov. 17 - St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center

Nov. 18 - Tulsa, OK @ BOK Center

Nov. 20 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center

Nov. 22 - Little Rock, AR @ Alltel Arena

Nov. 23 - New Orleans, LA @ New Orleans Arena

With LAMB OF GOD and THE SWORD:

Dec. 01 - Seattle, WA @ Key Arena

Dec. 02 - Vancouver, BC @ GM Place

Dec. 04 - Calgary, AB @ Pengrowth Saddledome

Dec. 07 - Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Place

Dec. 12 - Ontario, CA @ Citizens Bank Arena

Dec. 13 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center

Dec. 15 - San Diego, CA @ Cox Arena

Dec. 17 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum

Dec. 20 - Oakland, CA @ Oracle Arena

With MACHINE HEAD and THE SWORD:

Jan. 12 - Milwaukee, WI @ Bradley Center

Jan. 13 - Detroit, MI @ Joe Louis Arena

Jan. 15 - Washington, DC @ Verizon Center

Jan. 17 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center

Jan. 18 - Boston, MA @ TD Banknorth Center

Jan. 26 - Chicago, IL @ Allstate Arena

Jan. 29 - Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Coliseum

Jan. 31 - Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center

I'm going to go to the Metallica show just to see The Sword. It's going to suck seeing them in a big arena though, the last time they were in Columbus they played a small club and it was amazing.

The Sword were very good when I saw them play with In Flames/Seemless/Lacuna Coil. I don't know if they're going to translate well to a larger audience. I do think it's cool that they are on such a high profile tour.

I do believe that Austrian Death Machine is a side project of one of the guys from As I Lay Dying.

The Sword were very good when I saw them play with In Flames/Seemless/Lacuna Coil. I don't know if they're going to translate well to a larger audience. I do think it's cool that they are on such a high profile tour.

I do believe that Austrian Death Machine is a side project of one of the guys from As I Lay Dying.

From what everyone is telling me The Sword went over very well at Bonaroo if that means anything.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey, look at that. I haven't been to a ridiculously huge concert in a while, so I'm not sure if this would be worth my while, but I'd never seen Metallica in concert, so they, like Slayer, I feel obligated to see since I like some of their stuff. Tell me though guys, for anyone that's seen a Metallica show lately, do they play a lot of the 80's stuff (read: Black Album and before) or is it all mostly newer shit? If it's mostly newer stuff, fuck it I'll save my money.

Hey, look at that. I haven't been to a ridiculously huge concert in a while, so I'm not sure if this would be worth my while, but I'd never seen Metallica in concert, so they, like Slayer, I feel obligated to see since I like some of their stuff. Tell me though guys, for anyone that's seen a Metallica show lately, do they play a lot of the 80's stuff (read: Black Album and before) or is it all mostly newer shit? If it's mostly newer stuff, fuck it I'll save my money.

Mostly older stuff. I saw them in '03, and they played the two original singles off of St. Anger ("Frantic" and the title track) back-to-back, which got booed HEAVILY, and then stuck to Black Album and earlier. They even busted out "No Remorse," which I heard they rarely, if ever, have done in full since the Justice tours. Say what you will about their newer shit and how they obviously don't have what it takes to write material on par with their first 4 albums, but they know what their fans come to see.

Yea, I saw Metallica back in '04 and they only played those two same songs from St. Anger (which also got booed heavily oddly enough) but what really surprised me is that they played "Dyer's Eve" which I didn't think they played live at all. I do remember being pretty upset that they didn't play "Fade To Black" but hey, I was only 17 at the time.

Here is their most recent setlist from Ozzfest

01. Creeping Death

02. For Whom The Bell Tolls

03. Ride The Lightning

04. Harvester Of Sorrow

05. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

06. Cyanide (new song)

07. ...And Justice For All

08. No Remorse

09. Fade To Black

10. Master Of Puppets

11. Damage Inc.

12. Nothing Else Matters

13. Sad But True

14. One

15. Enter Sandman

- - - - -

16. (MERCYFUL FATE medley feat. King Diamond)

17. Seek And Destroy

For this tour, (depending on the fan reception of the new album) I'd expect 3, maybe 4 new songs to go with a similar setlist as above. I know when they came to Calgary last time, they only played Frantic and St. Anger (even 'I Disappear) but for the most part, they've been playing the classics lately.

Guest Vitamin X

Holy shit! King Diamond!

Yeah, still fuck Ozzfest. I didn't even know what was going on with that this year.

This year is kinda lame with the bigger tours. Summer Slaughter's US branch got railed since the best bands stuck to the Canadian or European dates, and there was basically 2 or 3 worthwhile bands compared to mountains of shit, and the worthwhile ones weren't even that great. Sounds of the Underground was cancelled due to a combination of rising gas prices and the negative reviews last year (primarily due to Necro's inclusion and subsequent departure halfway through the tour), which basically leaves Gwar with nothing to do until Rock & Shock and a short tour afterwards. Ozzfest was only a one-off in Texas. New England Metal & Hardcore Festival was pretty fucking shit this year (too much hardcore, not nearly enough metal, as has been the trend since '03 or so). So, really, the best tour this year is pretty much the Suicide Final Tour, which was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

If anyone's interested here's I'd say a 90% accurate version of the lyrics to 'Cyanide'

Sleep and dream of this

Death angel's kiss

Brings final bliss

Don't believe it!

Empty, are they?

Death, won't you let me stay?

"Empty!" they say

Death wants to call your name

Ooh, call your name!

Suicide! I've already died!

It's just the funeral I've been waiting for

Cyanide! Feeling dead inside

Break this empty shell forevermore

Wait, wait patiently

Pure death, black wings

Unfolding sleep

Spreading on me!

"Empty!" they say

"Empty!" they say

Death, hear me call your name!

Ooh, call your name!

Cyanide! Feeling dead inside!

Say is that rain or are they tears?

That stained your concrete face for years

Crying, weeping, shedding strife

Year after year

Life after life

And in the freshly broken ground

A concrete angel laid right down

A calm anew that swallows fast

It's peace at last,

Oh peace at last!

"Empty!" they say

"Empty!" they say

Death, hear me call your name!

Ooh, call your name!

Cyanide! Feeling dead inside!

Forevermore!

Forevermore!

It's the funeral I've been waiting for!

i can't believe people still care about metallica. aren't fans tired of being dicked around by these assholes? all they've done is disappoint their fanbase time after time. every album these people get excited, and wham, they realize once again that metallica fucking sucks.

Everything pre black album is great, but I basically just pretend they don't exist anymore. I agree, I don't understand how anyone could view them with anything but contempt now.

Lars is like the most pompous asshole in music IMO.

His band really hasn't done anything spectacular in the last decade, yet he still feels the need to be. well... Lars.

Really though, I'm going to go to the show, but only to see The Sword... If you haven't seen them live yet... go. It's a good show.

Ps. Speaking of good shows... not to change bands/topics/whatever.

The Hives.

So good live.

i can't believe people still care about metallica. aren't fans tired of being dicked around by these assholes? all they've done is disappoint their fanbase time after time. every album these people get excited, and wham, they realize once again that metallica fucking sucks.

4 monumental, amazing, genre-defining albums mean nothing at all to you, I take it...

Get rid of St. Anger. It's gone altogether. What are you left with? 3 great thrash metal albums, 1 very good thrash metal/borderline prog album, a solid hard rock/heavy metal album whose best songs were never released as singles, and 2 hard rock albums that were still better than most of what was passing as "quality" rock in the mainstream when released.

You're absolutely right. I can't see why anybody would like a band whose best years are behind them, and actually look forward to new material, especially since every other band that could be classified as their peers have come back with new albums over the last 3 years that are positively reviewed (read: Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax, Iron Maiden).

Guest Vitamin X
Load. Second best Metallica album ever behind Master of Puppets.

The FUCK is wrong with you.

Actually, that argument has merit. As a full-on complete album? Load isn't half bad. It's easily the best of the post-Black album stuff, which is like saying that 3 Dollar Bill Y'all$ is Limp Bizkit's best album: they're all sub-par, but it's the least sub-par of them.

Load has "Bleeding Me" and "Outlaw Torn" which I will put up with any song on the first 4 albums.

I like Load more than TBA honestly.

Much bigger change from AJFA to TBA then from TBA to Load.

They are never gonna write MOP again.. ever. People just need to realize that. St Anger was a steaming pile of shit, but they seem to be motivated again.. so I have tempered hope for the new album.

Still my favorite band... still awesome live, and I honestly never cared about any of the napster shit or any of that. Lars may be a prick, but he's a rich prick who has been the driving force behind one of the most influential heavy metal bands of the last 25 years, at least on the business side. Without him.. Metallica isn't even around today.

Actually, that argument has merit. As a full-on complete album? Load isn't half bad. It's easily the best of the post-Black album stuff, which is like saying that 3 Dollar Bill Y'all$ is Limp Bizkit's best album: they're all sub-par, but it's the least sub-par of them.

In order of my favourite albums it would have been:

Master of Puppets

Load

Metallica

Kill 'Em All

Ride the Lightning

And Justice For All

Reload

St. Anger.