TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Niggardly King

Travis Barker

I just saw this story. The report said that DJ AM was taken to a hospital by helicopter while Travis was taken by ambulance. I guess at least that's kind of a promising sign for him. Things still sound terrible though.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Better stay alive; I don't want to live in a world of posthumous fawning for Travis Barker.

Let's talk blink-182: "What's My Age Again?" was a really really good single back in 1999*, "All The Small Things" was obnoxious and in once-an-hour rotation on my late great 92.7 Kiss FM, "Adam's Song" was pretty cool when I was in 8th grade but damned if I'd admit to listening to it now, and that "Miss You" song from like 2004 wasn't all that bad. That's a pretty favorable review of their back catalogue, all things considered, so anyone who likes even more blink-182 than I do is pretty much awful in most aspects of life.

*Guy's career peaked nine years ago! We're caring about this too much! Do we get a thread if Eagle Eye Cherry has an aneurysm?

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

I don't know what any of those things are.

"Dammit" had a pretty good riff. Whatever blink-182 appreciation I have is for the melodies or general feel of youthful vigor. I never thought their drummer was anything special, honestly. Then again, pop-punk isn't something where you really listen closely for musicianship. It just is what it is.

Hate em or love em, I always thought this was pretty cool.

And he was a part of a lot of other things, rather then just Blink 182. Really hoping for a recovery here.

I liked a few Blink songs - (What's My Age Again, Damnit, Stay Together for The Kids, Down and a few more I can't remember).

That's about as extensive as my Travis Barker library gets. One thing I'll always remember was seeing +44 on Letterman and Barker was drumming with one arm because his other one was in a cast.

I thought the singles from the hilariously-titled "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket" were OK. Other than that they never meant much to me, even when they went serious with their last album and gained SCENE CREDIBILITY because they collaborated with Everybody's Influence Bob Smith. The fact that Tom DeLonge convinced himself that he literally created the best album of the past twenty years will always be much funnier than any of the genitalia references which filled his old band's catalog.

He apparently suffered pretty significant burn wounds. Combined with all of his tattoos, I would imagine that, should he survive, he'll come out looking something like Seal.

I always got them mixed up with Sum 41 when they were still an ongoing concern. Both were prime examples of why I held the music that is played on the radio in contempt when I was 12, anyway.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I don't like Blink 182 or think he's especially amazing or anything, but he does do a fine job of beating the shit out of a gorgeous drum kit in this video. Hate the song, but the attitude and oomph in the drumming makes up for it.

Look at that crash cymbal at the start of the video and again at the end of it. Must be nice to have money.

Eagle Eye Cherry? Come on, Czech! They did "Save Tonight" and the album sold a few million copies in a time when any halfassed alternative band could do that...and that's it.

I don't listen to Blink much anymore since I pretty much grew out of them after high school, but they were one of the most popular bands in the world for years. And say what you will about Hoppus and Delonge's simplistic riffs, but Travis Barker is an incredible drummer, as others have stated. His work in Blink, +44, and his many side projects show that.

Can someone correct the thread title?

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Yes it was. Remember jumping up and down in the gym at middle school dances to that song? Good times. 1999-2000 was a last gasp of good top 40 radio before it turned into the wasteland of Nickelback and American Idol that it pretty much is to this day. At least if Travis dies from his wounds, he'll be able to join fellow plane crash victim and circa '99 chart mainstay Aaliyah.

I didn't care much for Blink 182's last album, but I enjoyed the majority of their previous work. The Burn center that Travis and the DJ are in, in Augusta, GA, is about 20 minutes from here. Don't know much about the DJ, but I hope they are able to pull through.

Seeing the pictures of the crash, its amazing that they have survived this ordeal. Get well soon Travis and DJ AM.

Tragic Twist In Jet Crash -- Why They Flew

Travis Barker's assistant wanted to get home in time for his pregnant wife to give birth.

We've now learned why Barker and his friends decided to get on that doomed Learjet in South Carolina late last night, and the explanation can only be described as a horribly cruel twist of fate.

It all started some time yesterday, when Barker's assistant, Chris Baker, told the guys that his wife was going into labor. Barker told him that he would do everything in his power to get Baker back to the hospital in time.

The quickest way back to Van Nuys was that Learjet. We're told Barker usually won't fly on private jets, but made an exception for what was supposed to be one of the happiest moments of Baker's life.

The plane crashed shortly after midnight, killing four people -- including Chris Baker. Baker's wife went into labor early this morning. Baker has another young child as well.

Yes it was. Remember jumping up and down in the gym at middle school dances to that song? Good times. 1999-2000 was a last gasp of good top 40 radio before it turned into the wasteland of Nickelback and American Idol that it pretty much is to this day. At least if Travis dies from his wounds, he'll be able to join fellow plane crash victim and circa '99 chart mainstay Aaliyah.

Your Aaliyah comment made me think of how she died right before 9/11 and when it was announced through the P.A system in our school that there'd been a terrorist attack on NYC some ignant girl wailed "First Aaliyah and now this!". Must've been a tough few weeks for her.

If you want my opinion, I thought music was awful in the late 90's. Bands like Limp Bizkit and Korn becoming popular just made me lose my faith in music at that point.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

If you want my opinion,

no

I thought music was awful in the late 90's. Bands like Limp Bizkit and Korn becoming popular just made me lose my faith in music at that point.

Okay, yeah, nobody likes them, but there were some decent fun singles at the time.

I didn't go to any school dances between '98 and 2000. Sorry, Blink means nothing to me.

Saw this on the Superficial, which is "good news", or at least as good as it can be under the circumstances.

For the few of you who haven't heard, former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and DJ AM were the sole survivors of a plane crash Saturday in South Carolina that left four people dead. The two had just performed at a free concert (above) near the University of South Carolina with Perry Farrell and Gavin DeGraw. They are currently being treated at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center for second- and third- degree burns, the AP reports:

"Anybody who can survive a plane crash is pretty lucky," Mullins told reporters during a news conference Sunday morning.

Barker was burned on his torso and lower body and DJ AM, whose real name is Adam Goldstein, was burned on an arm and a portion of his scalp, according to a statement from the musicians' families released by the hospital. Mullins declined to discuss specific recovery times for the men, but said such injuries can take a year to fully heal.

Both men are still in critical but stable condition, he said.

Right before the crash, Travis and DJ AM were lucky enough to dive out of the plane while it was engulfed in flames. An eyewitness, William Owens, watched the wreckage careen across the highway in front of him and came upon the survivors:

"I noticed two guys who were on fire and it looked like a dance: They didn't know what to do," said Owens, a 60-year-old delivery van driver.

Goldstein had stripped off his own shirt and was helping Barker strip naked, said Owens, who was able to identify the men Saturday night because of news reports that showed Barker's extensive tattoos.

Owens said Goldstein told him four other people were on board the jet, but the flames were too intense to get close.

"'Oh my God' was all they were saying," Owens said of Barker and Goldstein. "They stood there and it's like — didn't know what to do. None of us did."

According to a recording recovered from the cockpit by authorities, it appears a tire burst while the plane was near its 92 mph take-off speed.

The Superficial wishes a healthy recovery for Travis Barker and DJ AM along with our sincere condolences to the families of Chris Baker, Charles Still, Sarah Lemmon and James Bland.

Well, I guess I don't completely hate Limp Bizkit, as I do find the songs "Re-Arranged", and "My Way" to be fairly decent. I thought Blink 182 had some pretty good singles back then as well.

It really just has to do with age. The people that will grow out of the shit today will look back and say, "You know, mainstream music sucked shit back then, but there were fun singles back then. Remember that time I danced with Karen at our 8th grade and Good Charlotte was on? Totally acceptable."