TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

The Office Season 5

I liked the opening well enough, especially Jenna Fischer's delivery on "But I'd like to see them make a machine that puts out candy for everyone! ... vending machine." But mostly I was just sort of distracted and not all that into the episode aside from brief moments that amused me.

That could only go so far, though. He made a huge mistake, lied to Wallace and tried to talk Dwight into taking the blame and to get fired. AND THEN he threw a big tantrum when it turned out to be a success and he didn't get credit.

Andy having tears in his eyes watching Kevin ask the woman out and then trying to play it off was great. I enjoyed Jim not holding back on Michael this episode too. Hilarious cold opening.

That could only go so far, though. He made a huge mistake, lied to Wallace and tried to talk Dwight into taking the blame and to get fired. AND THEN he threw a big tantrum when it turned out to be a success and he didn't get credit.

Who knows what will happen next week?

As Spiff said, the Scranton branch does so well that I'm sure they get some leeway

Wouldn't Michael get fired for trying to force Dwight to take the blame for his mistake and get fired?

I think the 'wouldn't Michael get fired if" ship sailed sometime in Season 2. I'm thinking if Michael ever does get fired, it'll be in the series finale...and he'll just get hired back by the end anyway.

As for tonight, really good episode. I liked how everyone ganged up on Michael after he tried to sell out Dwight, especially Creed's interjection ("Nice going, kid."). Also, both the cold open and the tag were VINTAGE~ Jim, and the Kevin story was awesome as well. They're not ignoring the fallout of the Andy/Angela breakup (Andy's continual pessimistic advice to Kevin). Good stuff.

Also:

"Hey! Hey! Hey! You idiot!"

"Start over."

"Sirrrrr."

"I keep secrets from my computer."

"I'm going to ask you something, and I want you to be completely honest with me: What is a pallet?"

"It's not my fault you bought a house to impress Pam. That's what Carnations are for"

"Apology rejected!"

"There's no movie called Willy Wonka, it's Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory"

"It's actually based on a book called Charlie & The Chocolate Factory"

"I can't vouch for that"

So yeah, I thought this was a pretty good episode.

I got a kick out of Dwight busting out "that's what she said" to David Wallace, and getting a big laugh from him. Michael's favorite line, and the 1 time it gets a big reaction is the 1 time Michael doesn't get to say it.

"Good morning, Michael."

"Oh no, no, no, no I am not Michael, I am Willy Wonkaaaaaaaaaa!"

"Good morning Mr. Wonka. Here are your messages."

The show has gone incredibly downhill since then. After that Jim and Pam were together and the heart of the show was ripped from it. They've never recovered, even if it can still be occasionaly funny (unfortunately not often enough IMO to make up for what's lacking)

I'm late on this but this past episode was much like Phyllis' wedding in that I can not laugh at anything Michael is doing because he is such a dick that he is completely unlikeable.

I hate when they do that.

Problem for me is that Michael's character is past the point of no return. He's an asshole, plain and simple. I don't know why they decided to do that, but my favorite part of this episode was where everyone was ganging up against him and siding with Dwight.

They managed to go away from "Homer Syndrome" with Michael in that he's not getting that much dumber anymore, but now he's just a bad person.

I don't know, stuff like using Dwight's admiration of him to try and get Dwight to take the blame for a bad idea and trying to get Dwight fired instead of himself to me has left the ignorant territory and moved to being a bad person.

Problem for me is that Michael's character is past the point of no return. He's an asshole, plain and simple. I don't know why they decided to do that, but my favorite part of this episode was where everyone was ganging up against him and siding with Dwight.

They managed to go away from "Homer Syndrome" with Michael in that he's not getting that much dumber anymore, but now he's just a bad person.

Maybe this is their part to having Michael be like his UK counterpart, eventually counting down the days to his firing. Ending the show.

Holy shit, this is all kinds of awkward.