TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

The Upcoming Shows/Rumored Fights Thread

It's a really interesting fight, as they're opposites in a lot of ways. Uno is a consummate veteran who gets by on dictating the pace of a fight by using his wrestling game, making the most of what you wouldn't call "overpowering" submission or striking games. Spencer, on the other hand, is a very athletic fighter with the ability to end a fight suddenly both standing or on the mat, but lacks the wrestling and gameplanning to make the most of his skills, and has paid the price with some frustrating losses as a consequence.

UFC 99- June 13th, Germany

Caol Uno vs Spencer Fisher

Mirko Cro-Cop vs Randy Couture

Croatian website is reporting this is in the works, it mentions that Kim Couture opened her mouth about it and that's how the rumor leaked.

I agree and I don't. Riggs is a big 170 with enough strength that he has a chance of keeping the fight standing and the Paul Daley fight exposed a pretty big weakness in Shields game in that he has pretty much zero striking ability and doesn't respond well to punches coming at him.

Having said that, Riggs was thoroughly outgrappled by Luke Stewart and if he can do it there's no reason to think that Shields won't run a train on him if the fight hits the mat.

I think Riggs is actually a bad style matchup for Shelds.

No... Riggs has pretty bad submission defense, and Shields strength is his wrestling and submissions. He's submitted better fighters then Riggs in the past, and fighters with better wrestling then Riggs.

Standing wise, can Riggs give Shields problems? Of course, Shields standing is decent at best, but I expect Shields to submit Riggs with the quickness.

Riggs doesn't seem to have the same explosive power he has at middleweight when he fights as a welter, so his physical advantages over Shields will be blunted. As for the Daley fight, I think a good part of Shields' difficulty came from being intimidated by Daley's striking ability, which is unmatched in the weight class. I think Shields will be relaxed enough to avoid being overwhelmed by Riggs standing until he manages to find his way to the ground, where he rolls up Riggs handily.

I have a hard time believing Mirko in UFC let alone against Randy.

Mirko hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since he left UFC. I suppose they could think that as an international star, putting him against Randy is a no lose situation. Either Randy out-gameplans Mirko and wins, or Mirko knocks a body part off.

Mirko's had a habit of late of dropping out of fights. The man has had fifty five professional Kickboxing and MMA fights or thereabouts. His body is falling apart. So I wouldn't be surprised if this fight doesn't happen even if it's planned to.

I'm picking Franklin to win that one... He's more skilled then Wanderlei on the feet and on the ground. If Wanderlei gets Franklin in the clinch, he'll have his way with him, but I'm betting it wont happen.

At first I was thinking, wtf? Rich wants to stay up at 205 and Wandy wants to move down to 185, so I'm wondering what's going on here.

But the article says it would be a catch-weight.

Interesting fight. I'm going to also initially lean towards Franklin.

Oliver Copp has shot down Randy fighting in Cologne.

Plus:

Franklin vs. Wanderlei at UFC 99

Who the fuck is Oliver Copp and why should we believe him?

He does the commentary for UFC's German broadcasts and is close to those who would know. He posts regularly at the F4 message board and is very accurate with his information.

Copp's been around a looooooooong ass time. Like...longer then I've been on the interwebs. 1996 or earlier. He's always been in pro-wrestling/MMA. The only active journalist of his kind that's probably been on the scene longer would be Dave Meltzer himself.

He's probably the leading authority in anything Europe MMA related, especially UFC due to what HTQ said.

So generally, if Copp reports something, it's generally the plan when the news breaks.

WEC 40- April, Chicago

Brian Bowles vs Miguel Angel Torres

Jeff Curran vs Joseph Benavidez

Shane Roller vs Benson Henderson

Cole Province vs Rafael Dias

Wagney Fabiano vs Fredson Paixao

Rafael Asuncao vs TBA

Akitoshi Tamura vs Manny Tapia

UFC 99

Spencer Fisher vs Caol Uno

Wanderlei Silva vs Rich Franklin

Kenny Florian vs BJ Penn

I was wrong on this one as Dana confirmed it at the presser for 95 yesterday.

Fuck, I'd buy the PPV on those three fights alone and with Nog penciled in to fight this show is gonna be tits.