TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

The Upcoming Shows/Rumored Fights Thread

Besides maybe not fighting Cain in his first fight back from injury, its not that bad. Realistically, how many wins would he be away from a title match? 3? 4? Might as well cross paths with Cain because he would have to sooner or later.

There's nothing to gain from fighting Cain. He's only been on a main card twice, both on a fight night, against less then stellar opponents months apart. People don't know him. He's also only had five professional fights, so most people will see Herring with his twenty eight wins against a guy with a 5-0 record and think Herring just absolutely sucks when Cain steamrolls him.

This isn't Brock Lesnar. There's a reason that people will fight Brock but don't want Cain. It really has nothing to do with Cain or Brock's skill (Cain is ahead of Brock but may not have all of Brock's intangibles) it has to do with name value. If Brock Lesnar outwrestles you, then...well, what can you do? Brock's the biggest star in MMA right now. If Brock KO's you...well, what are you going to do? Look at the man.

Cain can do both of those. Cain could probably do better then Brock does. But Cain has no name value whatsoever. There's nothing to be gained from getting manhandled by Cain. You don't really gain anything from beating Cain, but you can lose alot from losing.

The fact that lower level guys are terrified of him means Cain can't progress normally. People REFUSE to fight him. Cain's not really being allowed the natural progression he needs to reach the top level. It probably would have been better if Cain had been on sub UFC shows longer and given time to fight guys who don't know who he is without the attention, but then Dana probably felt that someone might move in on him. DREAM, Strikeforce, or then Elite XC, and he had to act.

Which is where brave ole Heath Herring steps in. Cain massacres Herring, and he has name value. Herring loses and he's probably back at square one, unless they let him cut a hell of a loser promo (which he can do) and saves himself with his charisma. If not Herring's back at the bottom of the card, if not prelims.

I'd SAY cut, but Dana loves guys who'll fight anyone, and if nothing else Herring is the symbol of that.

I'm not going to lie. I'll be cheering on Herring when this fight happens.

I've always liked Herring for exactly the reasons that's been mentioned. He's not very skilled, he's not very smart, but damned if the man understands the concept of giving up. If MMA was a movie, Herring would be the protagonist.

Quite frankly, I admire the sheer BALLS this takes on his part. He is coming off being raped by Brock Lesnar and having his eye crushed. So, Heath Herring decides to accept his first fight back against a guy with Brock's same skillset who may be even scarier. Balls.

I'm not going to lie. I'll be cheering on Herring when this fight happens.

I've always liked Herring for exactly the reasons that's been mentioned. He's not very skilled, he's not very smart, but damned if the man understands the concept of giving up. If MMA was a movie, Herring would be the protagonist.

Quite frankly, I admire the sheer BALLS this takes on his part. He is coming off being raped by Brock Lesnar and having his eye crushed. So, Heath Herring decides to accept his first fight back against a guy with Brock's same skillset who may be even scarier. Balls.

Somebody's in love with Herring's balls.

Couture vs. Nog looks set for 101.

--Two major UFC matches, while not signed, have been agreed to by both sides. Cain Velasquez vs. Heath Herring is expected to take place on 6/13 in Cologne, Germany. Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is likely for August, but the date is not locked in. A Couture win would put him in a match with the Lesnar-Mir winner most likely

F4W

Fucking bullshit that Okami needs to fight yet again before getting a title shot, and especially with a dangerous-yet-unestablished guy like Miller. On the other hand, I love Miller, and this is a great chance for him to really leap frog into title contention. In the end, though, I think it's too soon for Dan, as he'll be fighting the epitome of the powerful wrestler stereotype that has given him the most trouble thus far in his career.

What a useless fight for Okami. I know Dana doesn't want to make the match with Anderson, but it's fucking time, dude. NO ONE wants to see Ando vs Leites and we're getting that. Leites got his ass kicked by Marquardt and Kampmann. Dude's had good subs, but never really beaten a top 10 guy (let's face it, he lucked into the Nate win)

He was inked to fight Anderson after beating Tanner, IIRC, but got injured. Dana claimed he would get a shot after beating Lister, but now it looks like they're hoping Miller can upset him and get him out of the picture.

UFC 99

Rich Franklin vs Wanderlei Silva

Caol Uno vs Spencer Fisher

Cain Velasquez vs Heath Herring

Marcus Davis vs TBA (Davis has asked for Dan Hardy but nothing is set)

Dan Miller vs Yushin Okami

Todd Duffee vs Mutapha Al-Turk

Mike Swick vs Ben Saunders

I'm really liking this card even without Penn vs Florian on top.

Bonjasky vs. Alistair is confirmed for the March 28th Yokohama card. Actually, the entire card looks excellent, here's the rest:

Badr Hari vs. Errol Zimmerman

Jerome Le Banner vs. Ewerton Texeira

Junichi Sawayashiki vs. Glaube Feitosa

Melvin Manhoef vs. Chalid Die Faust

Ruslan Karaev vs. Gokhan Saki

Tyrone Spong vs. Keijiro Maeda

For those that haven't seen Spong in action, he's probably, pound for pound, the best kickboxer in the world. At only twenty-three years old, he is already 82-3, with two of his losses coming to Amir Zeyada of Egypt, whom he was beating in both engagements before being stopped Tyrone is an extremely powerful and well-rounded fighter, but he's undersized for K-1, weighing only 89 kilos, less than Melvin even. Speaking of Melvin, his fight with Challid is part of a mini-tournament K-1 is running for the now vacant heavyweight title, with the winner facing the winner of Ruslan and Saki.

Above- Maybe you can help me on this one. I was watching the K1 Max tourney on HDNet last night and I noticed a slight talking down towards MMA as far as the commentators went. They seemed very offended that Kawijiri, Mousasi and Overeem had beaten K1 guys on NYE and when Sergey Golayev's fight happened they were pretty much giving him zero chance due to him being an MMA guy and not a pure kickboxer. Is this an off thing or is looking down on MMA par for the course for these guys?

Above- Maybe you can help me on this one. I was watching the K1 Max tourney on HDNet last night and I noticed a slight talking down towards MMA as far as the commentators went. They seemed very offended that Kawijiri, Mousasi and Overeem had beaten K1 guys on NYE and when Sergey Golayev's fight happened they were pretty much giving him zero chance due to him being an MMA guy and not a pure kickboxer. Is this an off thing or is looking down on MMA par for the course for these guys?

I was actually watching that this morning but I haven't gotten to the part you were referring to yet. To tell you the truth, I usually avoid English speaking broadcasts of K-1 because Schiavello's commentating style doesn't appeal to me, although he's generally a nice guy and very well liked in the K-1 community. Not exactly sure why he would bad mouth MMA, but he's always been fiercely pro-K-1 and as far as I know, has never commentated MMA. Was he the one who made the statement or was it the other guy, without the accent?

UFC 98- May

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)

* Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra

* Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk

* Kyle Bradley vs. Phillipe Nover

* James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries

* Brandon Wolff vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

* Houston Alexander vs. Andre Gusmao

* Pat Barry vs. Tim Hague

* David Kaplan vs. George Roop

* Josh Koscheck vs Chris Wilson

Guess UFC didn't feel like waiting around on Karo.

UFC 98- May

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)

* Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra

* Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk

* Kyle Bradley vs. Phillipe Nover

* James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries

* Brandon Wolff vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

* Houston Alexander vs. Andre Gusmao

* Pat Barry vs. Tim Hague

* David Kaplan vs. George Roop

* Josh Koscheck vs Chris Wilson

Guess UFC didn't feel like waiting around on Karo.

It kind of sucks that Patrick Barry seems to be strictly MMA now. He showed some promise in his few K-1 fights, which was cool because America hasn't had a single decent heavyweight fighter in that organization's history, except for Carter Williams, who seemed to be on the cusp of stardom before he imploded.