TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #

1 N Lakeview Terrace SGem $15,600,000 - 2,464 - $6,331 $15,600,000 $2000 1

2 1 Burn After Reading Focus $11,295,000 -41.0% 2,657 +6 $4,251 $36,401,000 $3700 2

3 N My Best Friend's Girl LGF $8,300,000 - 2,604 - $3,187 $8,300,000 $2000 1

4 N Igor MGM/W $8,010,000 - 2,339 - $3,425 $8,010,000 $3000 1

5 3 Righteous Kill Over. $7,700,000 -52.7% 3,152 - $2,443 $28,810,000 $6000 2

6 2 Tyler Perry's The Family That Preys LGF $7,500,000 -56.8% 2,070 - $3,623 $28,356,000 -00 2

7 4 The Women (2008) PicH $5,306,000 -47.5% 2,995 +33 $1,772 $19,209,000 $1600 2

8 N Ghost Town P/DW $5,171,000 - 1,505 - $3,436 $5,171,000 $2000 1

9 7 The Dark Knight WB $2,950,000 -28.5% 1,905 -286 $1,549 $521,925,000 $18500 10

10 6 The House Bunny Sony $2,800,000 -32.6% 2,675 -88 $1,047 $45,724,000 $2500 5

11 5 Tropic Thunder P/DW $2,576,000 -38.4% 2,333 -594 $1,104 $106,825,000 $9200 6

12 12 Mamma Mia! Uni. $1,065,000 -41.7% 1,121 -396 $950 $141,211,000 $5200 10

Jason Biggs and Dane Cook didn't open at number one: Thank God

Samuel L Jackson in ham mode does: Double the awesome

It's a weekend box office filled with hope and promise for the future of entertainment.

My predictions-

1)My Best Friend's Girl- 15 million

2)Lakeview Terrace- 13 million

3)Burn After Reading- 11 million

4)Righteous Kill- 8 million

5)Igor- 8 million

6)The Family That Preys- 7 million

7)Ghost Town- 6 million

8)The Woman- 5 milllion

9)TDK- 3 million

10)House Bunny- 3 million

Fantasy moguls-

FINAL PREDICTIONS FOR WEEKEND OF SEPTEMBER 19

1. NEW - Lakeview Terrace (Sony) - $15M

2. Burn After Reading (Focus) - $12M

3. NEW - My Best Friend’s Girl (Lionsgate) - $11.9M

4. Righteous Kill (Overture) - $8.1M

5. Tyler Perry’s The Family That Preys (Lionsgate) - $6.8M

6. NEW - Ghost Town (Dreamworks/Paramount) - $6.25M

7. NEW - Igor (MGM) - $5.5M

8. The Women (Picturehuse) - $5M

9. The House Bunny (Sony) - $3.1M

10. The Dark Night (Warner Bros) - $2.9M

Boxofficeguru-

Lakeview Terrace- 13 mil

My Best Friend's Girl- 12 mil

Burn After Reading- 11.5 mil

Tyler Perry- 9.5 mil

Righteous Kill- 9 mil

Igor- 8 mil

Ghost Town- 5 mil

Wow I guess I underestimated Samuel L. Jackson's drawing power. Like Bob, I was sure My Best Friend's Girl would be #1. I'm glad to say I was wrong. Now can Hollywood stop thinking Dane Cook is a box office draw?

Mr. Brooks is all kinds of awesome. That movie was a very big surprise to me, because I thought it would suck, and it ended up being a very bizarre decent movie. Very underrated. I will probably see Lakeview Terrace at some point on DVD, and it should be an unintentional comedy, or maybe it is meant to be funny, I don't know.

No real shocks there. Ghost Town did better than I thought. Little press, not a super well known lead to Americans, not a huge screen run.

I've been seeing consistant ads for Ghost Town for over a month. It looked like a stupid, paint by numbers, throw away comedy. Glad it flopped.

Mr. Brooks is all kinds of awesome. That movie was a very big surprise to me, because I thought it would suck, and it ended up being a very bizarre decent movie. Very underrated.

Actually agree with that one. A movie with Kevin Costner as a millionare who moonlights as a serial killer? And Demi Moore as the detective trying to catch him? Should've been auto-suck, but turned out shockingly good. I think the difference here is that Cook was just playing a supporting role; when he's the lead guy, it tends to be crap.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the American moviegoing public this summer. Shit that deserved to fail did indeed fail, while the quality pictures mostly did better than expected. Dare I hope that people in general are becoming the tiniest bit more discriminating about what they wanna pay to watch?

Yeah Dane Cook is not that bad in supporting roles.

He's much better than Jason Biggs IMO

I never really liked the American Pie series and Biggs is *still* getting work of them 10 years later

yeah, some people didn't like the ending of Mr. Brooks, thinking of it as a cop out, but I had no problem with it, as I like the storyline of him having his addiction to kill for the rest of his life.

I am not a huge Dane Cook fan and haven't seen much of his stand up stuff, but I also don't guy why some people seem to genuinely hate the guy. He's probably best off in supporting roles, as noted here. But he was an agreeable enough star in Employee of the Month.

I am not a huge Dane Cook fan and haven't seen much of his stand up stuff, but I also don't guy why some people seem to genuinely hate the guy. He's probably best off in supporting roles, as noted here. But he was an agreeable enough star in Employee of the Month.

The reason I hate Dane Cook started off with his standup. First of all, look at the guy. He's a frat boy. Second of all, all his humor follows this basic forumla: "HEY YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING AND THEN YOU DO THIS AND THEN YOU YELL AT SOMEONE AND THEN YOUR FRIEND COMES AND EVERYONE'S GOT THAT ONE FRIEND" It's all based on yelling and being ostentatious and dancing around on stage. He steals jokes from other comedians, and is basically kind of a living monument to unfunny. It's not as egregious as Carlos Mencia, but operates at the same level.

Then, he went into movies. More yelling. More being ostentatious.

Mr. Brooks was awesome until the scene where

the daughter from Shark kills Costner and it's revealed to all be a dream.

Wait a minute... you mean

the whole movie turned out to be the dream? I thought it was only the part where the daughter kills him?...

Mr. Brooks was awesome until the scene where

the daughter from Shark kills Costner and it's revealed to all be a dream.

Wait a minute... you mean

the whole movie turned out to be the dream? I thought it was only the part where the daughter kills him?...

Sorry, I should've made that clearer.

Only the scene where the daughter from Shark kills him is a dream

I just hated that scene. Everyone jumped when it happened and I was like: Holy shit, this movie rocked my world. And then it was just such a lame comedown.

Mr Brooks was one of those movies I was totally looking forward to seeing. Then I saw Demi Moore and Dane Cook were co-starring. Talk about killing any interest I had in a film.

Dane Cook by himself wasn't a total killer but with Demi Moore? Christ, death nail combo.

Still give it a shot anyway. Way better than it should've been.

Sorry, I should've made that clearer.

Only the scene where the daughter from Shark kills him is a dream

I just hated that scene. Everyone jumped when it happened and I was like: Holy shit, this movie rocked my world. And then it was just such a lame comedown.

Apparently, the original plan was to make this into a trilogy, so that was part of the setup for the future movies (coming out of the idea that the daughter was a born murderer too).

But I haven't heard about any plans for any followup, so I dunno.

It turned a profit. Made its budget back, plus 5 mil extra. And that was just in domestic box office grosses, so with foreign and DVD they did okay. Meanwhile, Disaster Movie and everything Uwe Boll ever did lost money in the US, yet it hasn't stopped those tards from quickly jumping to their next project.

It turned a profit. Made its budget back, plus 5 mil extra. And that was just in domestic box office grosses, so with foreign and DVD they did okay. Meanwhile, Disaster Movie and everything Uwe Boll ever did lost money in the US, yet it hasn't stopped those tards from quickly jumping to their next project.

The people who did DISASTER MOVIE lost money this time, but those shitty movies usually make money and come in #1. This was the first time I can remember that one of their movies didn't have a big opening weekend.

Dr. Boll gets his money from the German government (at least up until recently i believe). Or if you believe the rumors, he also gets his money from Nazi gold. That being said, I've mentioned it before, POSTAL is awesome (at least for me, I know others won't enjoy it as much, but it's good good, not so bad it's good).